JJ Watt signs with AZ

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. That said, we play in one of the most run-heavy divisions in football. Also, if Simmons can work, he is all the speed we need. You can also argue that Reddick is a speed guy.

The above is a good point. But also assumes we get Reddick back.

look, if we get Reddick back, I’m all over this move. I just think the wreaks of one precluding the other in classic Cardinals fashion.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats not a lot of speed on the field.

I agree. That said, we play in one of the most run-heavy divisions in football. Also, if Simmons can work, he is all the speed we need. You can also argue that Reddick is a speed guy.

Baker is pretty fast, too. (Just not as fast as DK Metcalf!)

...dbs

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WTF? 2 years for 31 million?!

this is a terrible Emmitt Smith contract. Adios Reddick and most of our cap space.

I’ll go on record and say this is a bad move. Hope to eat ALL the crow on it.

Ooof, He needs a trip south beach to rejuvenate himself

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and reading all these reactions because frankly I wasn't sure how to react. I thought he would end up in Green Bay after a ring for sure and after the Hopkins trade last year not many are going to get me to "pant-filling" excitement level...

I agree with the concerns and optimism being discussed here almost completely. I see both sides. That being said we were gonna be spending money on pass rush regardless, and we desperately need more veteran leadership to instill discipline on this team, and we get that in spades with Watt.

Maybe it will be a failure, but after a year when nothing made sense or went as planned and I got to see ONE game in person... I choose to be excited and optimistic.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Really not sure about this... It feels like we overpaid for a slowing/aging player. Seriously wonder how much Watt has left...
No doubt this is a major swing for the fences by Keim. Wonder if this will impact Fitz’s decision-making..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and reading all these reactions because frankly I wasn't sure how to react. I thought he would end up in Green Bay after a ring for sure and after the Hopkins trade last year not many are going to get me to "pant-filling" excitement level...

I agree with the concerns and optimism being discussed here almost completely. I see both sides. That being said we were gonna be spending money on pass rush regardless, and we desperately need more veteran leadership to instill discipline on this team, and we get that in spades with Watt.

Maybe it will be a failure, but after a year when nothing made sense or went as planned and I got to see ONE game in person... I choose to be excited and optimistic.

this is fair.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one other point: given the widespread illegal tampering that takes place -- Reddick's agent knows the ballpark he will be getting, so that means Keim knows the ball park number to keep Reddick

given the $23mm guaranteed that Watt signed for (and what i am counting as the "real" figure) -- adding Watt at $11.5mm per year + Golden at $4mm per year will still cheaper than retaining Reddick

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watt has played full 16 game season 2 out of the last 3 seasons. I’m worried about his durability, but it’s not like dude has been Bob Sanders the past few seasons
2 outta last FIVE seasons. 26 sacks over that 5 years with 16 coming three seasons ago.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of CP3 vibes. Added leadership, added national attention, added proven talent. I can get on board with this.

Massive difference between a PG and being the head of the snake for an entire team and a defensive end being a cog in the machine.

Only a QB can make the type of impact on a team a great PG could because they have so much control over the entire team, IMO.

well, maybe a DOMINANT defensive linemen in his prime could really move the needle, but Watt is far from that guy at this point in his career.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 outta last FIVE seasons. 26 sacks over that 5 years with 16 coming three seasons ago.
Well, what has he done recently in a “what have you done for me?” league, he has been relatively healthy.

Like I said, I understand you, which is why I said I’m worried about his durability, but he has managed to stay more healthy than not recently.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
WTF? 2 years for 31 million?!

this is a terrible Emmitt Smith contract. Adios Reddick and most of our cap space.

I’ll go on record and say this is a bad move. Hope to eat ALL the crow on it.

It's a lot for 2 years, but at least it ends before any KM extension counts against the cap.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
one other point: given the widespread illegal tampering that takes place -- Reddick's agent knows the ballpark he will be getting, so that means Keim knows the ball park number to keep Reddick

given the $23mm guaranteed that Watt signed for (and what i am counting as the "real" figure) -- adding Watt at $11.5mm per year + Golden at $4mm per year will still cheaper than retaining Reddick

And WAY WAY more impactful, because Golden and Watt both play with an edge and bring energy. Those 2 would more than make up for Reddick, who remember at this time last year was a sure fire bust who we wanted gone.

I am all for this deal with Watt. He is still an impact player, and is capable of at least one more monster season if the luck goes his way. Obviously he needs to stay healthy, but he plays HARD, and can still reek havoc in the backfield. If Watt and Jones are both on top of their game next year, we will lead the NFC West in Sacks.

My bold prediction: JJ Watt will play in 28 games over 2 years. He will get 18 sacks, and a bunch of pressures and hits. Most importantly, he will work with Lawrence, Fotu, and the D-Lineman we draft this year to give them a glimpse of what it takes to be great.

Overall, we will end up very satisfied with this signing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Massive difference between a PG and being the head of the snake for an entire team and a defensive end being a cog in the machine.

Only a QB can make the type of impact on a team a great PG could because they have so much control over the entire team, IMO.

well, maybe a DOMINANT defensive linemen in his prime could really move the needle, but Watt is far from that guy at this point in his career.
I was thinking this is our swing at a Reggie white type move. Depends on watt health imo.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't have paid that money, I'm not really excited by that contract numbers. If we can keep Reddick and get two average CB than this deal could be great if Watt has still something left and stays heathly. Fro me at the moment to many ifs...

We will see how it plays out. Protecting Kyler and giving Kyler a TE/WR to depend on and build a O-line that can keep us moving/running would have been better in my opinion but, D wins championships and so we have to invest.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

This, IMO, is definitely the plan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, what has he done recently in a “what have you done for me?” league, he has been relatively healthy.

Like I said, I understand you, which is why I said I’m worried about his durability, but he has managed to stay more healthy than not recently.
He missed half a season just the season before last. I guess I don’t see his health as a positive when I see:

Games played last 5 years

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to actually be a destination spot for a big time caliber player, for a change. Now everyone around the NFL is talking about us due to this signing. Definitely getting amped up for the season. Hope to see more than two games in person this time around.