Jets Get Third Overall Pick

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah I’m prolly exaggerating the total picks but you watch what happens if the top 4 QBs are gone. Mark it.

Keim’s signings of Bradford & turkey neck along with the need & the fans screaming for a QB have forced him to do it. The pressure is immense this season to add that guy. Remember I called it.

The top 4 QB's will be gone and Keim shouldn't be surprised by that.
Unlikely the Cardinals go QB in round 1 but I could see a trade up similar to last years trade with Chicago to get Rudolph early in round 2. It's really hard to say without knowing how Keim rates the prospects.
In the end I feel it will be a mid round developmental quarterback like Falk, Lauletta or White. Someone he likes will be available in round 3.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Ridiculous. I'll easily bet with you on this. Don't know what you would want to bet on though.

There is no way Keim trades back into the first using next year's first. Not when this team could feasibly have a top 10 draft pick next season and we already have a starting QB and young backup.
That whole scenario makes no sense, not sure what he's thinking?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watch jets fans boo the pick in the draft always do! I Hope they go barkley but will probably draft Mayfield :(.

Glad it wasn't cards making a ricky Williams type trade.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know the Pats struck gold with Brady.... But they have been competitive every year drafting at the tail end.....

No team has ever changed it's fortune, giving up everything to draft a few spots ahead... Hopefully Sk knows his history.

Stand still and take the BPA... These are not the QB's we're looking for.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I know the Pats struck gold with Brady.... But they have been competitive every year drafting at the tail end.....

No team has ever changed it's fortune, giving up everything to draft a few spots ahead... Hopefully Sk knows his history.

Spot on! Stay put at 15 and take one of the players worthy of that draft position. Do not take a QB there just because you feel pressured to.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are also the absolute best at finding real gems and bonafide contributors in the UDFA pool.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am sure those conversations have already happened , but the Bills can trump us pretty easily.

If a QB we love falls to 6 or 7, then I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade, but why trade to #4 NOW if you aren't certain who you want will even be there?
Yeah, I think the Jets take Josh Allen at 3.

I don't think we'd trade this and next years drafts for Rosen or Mayfield. I think they possibly could have for Allen. He's who Kiem would have targeted to move up, mtl.
He's got the NFL arm and likely the healthiest of the bunch also.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the Jets take Josh Allen at 3.

I don't think we'd trade this and next years drafts for Rosen or Mayfield. I think they possibly could have for Allen. He's who Kiem would have targeted to move up, mtl.
He's got the NFL arm and likely the healthiest of the bunch also.

Early on lots of talk of Jets liking Mayfield.

It's funny, at this point, any top 4 QB dropping to 15 would seem a steal. We have our own preferences, but I would love that to happen.

If not, I hope we get into the Kirk sweepstakes, preferably with a trade down, not because of his talent and 8-15 yr future, but because of perceived value. Somewhere between 15 and 47 we need Kirk.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score

Guess I'll be that guy and say the Eagles sure don't regret giving up a truck load of picks for Wentz. Or the Rams for Goff for that matter. Yes, you've got your Christian Ponders, RGIII's et al, but let's not oversimplify it.

Fact is, too many teams ahead of us want a QB, and after what the Jets gave up to move up 3 spots, I cringe to think what it would take to move up 10 or 11 spots to get a top 4 QB this year.

I still cry a little when I think we didn't move up just a couple spots for Mahomes or Watson last year when they were within a few picks of us.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see Mayfield falling out of the top 10 and us trading up to 10 (Raiders) to get him...

1. CLE - Darnold
2. NYG - Barkley
3. NYJ - Rosen
4. BUF - Allen
5. DEN - Nelson

Etc etc

Maybe the Jets get Barkley if he hasn’t been taken??
Giants need a QB too. Eli is going into his 15th year and he ain't getting any younger.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Lamar Jackson were selected in the first round. I have him ranked in the middle of the third round. I think teams learned their lesson to not reach like crazy for quarterbacks after the 2011 draft fiasco where three quarterbacks were probably overdrafted in the first round. Other than Buffalo selecting E.J. Manuel in the first round a couple of years later, we haven’t seen teams reach like that since.
2016. Eagles traded their 2016 1st round + 3rd, and 4th round + 2017 1st and 2018 2nd to take Wentz at #2. Now, it looks like they pulled out a plum in reaching for a small school guy and won a Super Bowl but they did give up a lot for him. Luckily for them, the Vikings got desperate for a QB and put the Eagles right back into the 1st round in 2017.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Guess I'll be that guy and say the Eagles sure don't regret giving up a truck load of picks for Wentz. Or the Rams for Goff for that matter. Yes, you've got your Christian Ponders, RGIII's et al, but let's not oversimplify it.

Fact is, too many teams ahead of us want a QB, and after what the Jets gave up to move up 3 spots, I cringe to think what it would take to move up 10 or 11 spots to get a top 4 QB this year.

I still cry a little when I think we didn't move up just a couple spots for Mahomes or Watson last year when they were within a few picks of us.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

But then the unthinkable happens and Bradford carries on the recent Cardinal tradition of Warner and Palmer, plays a majority of his games and is amazing
Btw, I think Watson will bounce back but Mahomes I feel will have accuracy issues with the ball constantly sailing on him... and here is a trivial competition but what I saw on film rears its head here too, and you got to love Mahomes saying he needs to warm up when retired Carr has no problem at all with his accuracy while trying to put some zip :)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...-Patrick-Mahomes-throw-faster-than-David-Carr

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score
Well, they're in a good spot with 2 first round picks. They also have 2 2nd round picks as well. They definitely have trade capital.

Totally agree, but who's trading out?

Do Browns give up #1 and keep #4 or vice versa? Are the Giants serious about not wanting a QBOTF at #2? The Jets at #3 and Broncos at #5 are in the QB market. Are teams fine with Jackson or Rudolph if they get value to move back?

The draft setup is really intriguing at the moment and I'm not counting Buffalo out.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Have to maximize your pick value each year by taking the BPA at that spot. If not, you reach based on perceived need and by doing so, leave more valuable players on the board.

At #15, Cards can get a top rated guy at his position or they can select the 4th (or 5th or even 6th) rated QB. If that QB is the BPA at that pick, take him. If not, go with your draft board and take that BPA. Cards have enough holes that the BPA and Position of Need just might be one and the same. Nothing wrong with the 1st or 2nd rated CB, DT, WR, etc. over a QB who will probably not make the team.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Totally agree, but who's trading out?

Do Browns give up #1 and keep #4 or vice versa? Are the Giants serious about not wanting a QBOTF at #2? The Jets at #3 and Broncos at #5 are in the QB market. Are teams fine with Jackson or Rudolph if they get value to move back?

The draft setup is really intriguing at the moment and I'm not counting Buffalo out.

Yep, get your popcorn and kool-aid ready for the draft. It should be a dizzy day of deals when we approach the first round. Don't count out other teams who have a veteran QB who is getting close to retirement. Pats let JG go, Steelers, Rogers---all those teams might target a guy and want to jump up in the draft.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the Cards would have to give up way too much to move up into the top 5 positions to get a qb. Stay at #15 and pick best player avaialbe; if they like Jackson or Rudolph and they are available then take them. As others have mentioned on this thread we could also move up in rd 2 to take a qb without giving away our future. None of the top 4 qbs really appear to be a franchise qb.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But then the unthinkable happens and Bradford carries on the recent Cardinal tradition of Warner and Palmer, plays a majority of his games and is amazing
Btw, I think Watson will bounce back but Mahomes I feel will have accuracy issues with the ball constantly sailing on him... and here is a trivial competition but what I saw on film rears its head here too, and you got to love Mahomes saying he needs to warm up when retired Carr has no problem at all with his accuracy while trying to put some zip :)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...-Patrick-Mahomes-throw-faster-than-David-Carr

No, Warner and Palmer were top-notch QBs that the Cards helped back to the top; with Bradford, he'd have to get to the top in the first place. Not comparable at all.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes, reading this thread, I cant get over the fact that buzz no longer has to do with the player and/or his abilities, but the chess match involved in the ramp up to the actual draft, all to pick a 21 year old who more times than not, won't (naw, CAN'T) live up to expectations.

I have re thought my position of wanting to go all in and get the guy. I see panic. I see mayhem. I dont necessarily see a sure-fire guy. I see teams moving around, and all the movement makes people THINK there must be a sure fire guy.

I no longer think this is the year. Not for a QB. Cost too high. Moving to get one is no longer a sustainable model, and I think the teams that are moving are setting themselves, and their guy up for failure. You can go get the guy, but when the rest of the cupboard is bare, you can't build around him. No QB can do it, go ALL the way, by himself.

If Im Keim, Im out. The frenzy is WAAAAY to high. I think he moved onto Falk/Lauletta/et al a while ago.

The teams winning this draft are the ones moving down, not up.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes, reading this thread, I cant get over the fact that buzz no longer has to do with the player and/or his abilities, but the chess match involved in the ramp up to the actual draft, all to pick a 21 year old who more times than not, won't (naw, CAN'T) live up to expectations.

I have re thought my position of wanting to go all in and get the guy. I see panic. I see mayhem. I dont necessarily see a sure-fire guy. I see teams moving around, and all the movement makes people THINK there must be a sure fire guy.

I no longer think this is the year. Not for a QB. Cost too high. Moving to get one is no longer a sustainable model, and I think the teams that are moving are setting themselves, and their guy up for failure. You can go get the guy, but when the rest of the cupboard is bare, you can't build around him. No QB can do it, go ALL the way, by himself.

If Im Keim, Im out. The frenzy is WAAAAY to high. I think he moved onto Falk/Lauletta/et al a while ago.

The teams winning this draft are the ones moving down, not up.

Good stuff schutd. I totally agree with you. At one time I thought the Cards should do whatever to move up and get one of the top 4. Not anymore. We have 4 picks in the top 100, one can be a qb to develop while the other 3 can be solid players to fill positions of need.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Early on lots of talk of Jets liking Mayfield.

It's funny, at this point, any top 4 QB dropping to 15 would seem a steal. We have our own preferences, but I would love that to happen.

If not, I hope we get into the Kirk sweepstakes, preferably with a trade down, not because of his talent and 8-15 yr future, but because of perceived value. Somewhere between 15 and 47 we need Kirk.
It's gonna be interesting to see if they stay put where they are. Denver and Buffalo likely round out the others who grab a QB.

That leaves us with OL, CB or WR options 1st. There will be very good talent at all those positions.

Only monkey wrench would be if they're really enamored with Vea, Payne, D. James or Vander Esch. I think they'd all be great picks and could put the D over the top.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I looked over at the Gang Green board and they are pretty solid in the Mayfield camp with a few preferring Rosen. That's real interesting. Someone else will trade up for Allen, imo. Big, can move somewhat, can throw a dart. Will have to improve accuracy. Someone will take that chance though. Or he falls to Denver. No farther.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cardinals like a QB and and he is available at #15, draft him there and not chance moving around and lose him.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well-researched article from 2017 critical of making the big trade moves up for a Quarterback:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...und-quarterback-is-generally-a-terrible-idea/

Written after the first season of Goff and Wentz---perhaps too early to draw a conclusion on those two this early in their career. Defenses have a way of catching up to the new guy and dissecting his game after they get some game film on the guy.

Short article with quick summary chart of ten years (2016):
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ng-up-to-draft-qb-hasnt-worked-well-for-teams

Let's not forget the trade where the 1988 Cards gave up the their draft slot to the Chargers who took no. 2 overall pick (Ryan Leaf) Cardinals took no. 3 pick (Andre Wadsworth), 1998 no. 33 pick (Corey Chavous), 1999 no. 8 pick (David Boston), Eric Metcalf, and Patrick Sapp

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/26/16550408/carson-wentz-jared-goff-quarterback-draft-trades

Portal page to "Draft Pick Transactions" going back to 1936 (gee, I don't feel so old now) Bookmark this page to bolster your arguments or to keep from losing one:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MIA may also be looking for a QB with speculation they may not view Tannehill as a long term solution, and they pick at #11.
Dolphins restructured Tannehill. Makes it easier to dump him next year. They should be in play since they are in QB limbo. Cutler gone. Moore gone. David Fales and Brandon Doughty are their depth.