mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just saw avatar today awsome awsome movie, was a little late in seeing but kind of hard when your car just died on you and have little transportation avliable lol. But very good movie agree the story did get somewhat plain sometimes, but the graphics an special effects was so good. And Michelle Rodriguz was so hot in this movie. I wan't to see this again just for the 3d lol. My next tv will defintally be 3d like 5 years from now though lol.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing it, both in regular and 3D.

I liked the movie. Stunning visually, mediocre story that, at the very least, was done well for its genre. Sure, it was cliche, but whatever.

The 3D was pretty cool; I really appreciated how it wasn't "in your face" but more of "just there". Made it really easy to get engulfed in the world and forget it was a movie.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it on Bluray and watched it on the old 50" Panasonic.... I still think it is absolutely awesome. Great movie, even at home.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dances with Wolves on Acid.

I enjoyed it though.....:)

I liked both movies but where's the Robert Pastorelli role in Avatar and where's the incredibly sexy Michelle Rodriguez character in Dancing With Wolves? Okay, nit-picking aside there are a lot of similarities.

Steve

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I watched it on my 50in Mitsubishi on regular DVD. Im pissed I didnt watch it in 3d now. WOW, I can see how thye spent so much money on this movie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it on my 50in Mitsubishi on regular DVD. Im pissed I didnt watch it in 3d now. WOW, I can see how thye spent so much money on this movie.

My Mitsubishi is bigger than your Mitsubishi.:p

It looked great on Blu-Ray but 3D will have to wait awhile for me. I never go to theaters and I'm hoping to never buy another TV set. It's kind of funny that so many proponents for Home theater viewing are pushing this movie to justify a rush to buy 3D's even though Cameron made this specifically in an attempt to bring patrons back to the theater.

Steve

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I saw it.. It was a mash of Braveheart, Predator, your favorite John Wayne movie, The Neverending Story and RoboCop all done PG style.. Bunch of neon lights Tron style.. I think it will go down in Tron style.. A cult movie.. The graphics were cool, but nothing outstanding story wise.. At least it made money.. there was some big holes in it too.. But whatever..

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will go down in Tron style.. A cult movie..

Typically, we apply the label "cult movie" to films that didn't fare well at the box office but have developed a very small but very active fan base. I'm not sure Avatar can fit that description.

Steve

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically, we apply the label "cult movie" to films that didn't fare well at the box office but have developed a very small but very active fan base. I'm not sure Avatar can fit that description.

Steve

I have no idea.. I dont get into movies that much to know these things.. Im just saying.. In 30 years from now when this movie comes on TBS on a saturday afternoon, people will prolly say "oh rememebr this?".. I dont think its something everyone will own on dvd or blu ray or whatever.. I could be wrong though.. Its just how I feel about the movie.. Im not gonna own it..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no idea.. I dont get into movies that much to know these things.. Im just saying.. In 30 years from now when this movie comes on TBS on a saturday afternoon, people will prolly say "oh rememebr this?".. I dont think its something everyone will own on dvd or blu ray or whatever.. I could be wrong though.. Its just how I feel about the movie.. Im not gonna own it..

Everyone ALREADY owns it on DVD/Blu-Ray. I believe it's broken sales records, but don't quote me on that.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone ALREADY owns it on DVD/Blu-Ray. I believe it's broken sales records, but don't quote me on that.

Eh, again.. I dont pay attention to these types of things so I had no idea.. I just dont see what the big fuss was over this movie.. But again, thats just me..

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were to compare it to something it would be like when Jurassic Park first came out. That movie showed us an entirely new world with state of the art computer graphics for the time.

IMO Avatar is this generations Jurassic Park. It is an epic tale that set the bar higher for computer graphics in a major motion film. Although Avatar is clearly superior to Jurassic Park IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If I were to compare it to something it would be like when Jurassic Park first came out. That movie showed us an entirely new world with state of the art computer graphics for the time.

IMO Avatar is this generations Jurassic Park. It is an epic tale that set the bar higher for computer graphics in a major motion film. Although Avatar is clearly superior to Jurassic Park IMO.

In what ways would you say it's superior? Quality of effects and 3D, sure, but what else in your opinion?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In what ways would you say it's superior? Quality of effects and 3D, sure, but what else in your opinion?

In the end Jurassic Park was for the most part Dinosaurs chasing people around an island. It was a fun movie.

I felt that Avatar had a deeper story to go along with the amazing special effects. Was it a great story that will go down as one of the best of all times, definitely not. However I felt it was superior to "Don't get eaten by a Dinosaur". I also enjoyed the completely new world that they created in Avatar. The way they interpreted how things evolved on this new world was very interesting to me. So in that way I found Avatar superior.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In the end Jurassic Park was for the most part Dinosaurs chasing people around an island. It was a fun movie.

I felt that Avatar had a deeper story to go along with the amazing special effects. Was it a great story that will go down as one of the best of all times, definitely not. However I felt it was superior to "Don't get eaten by a Dinosaur". I also enjoyed the completely new world that they created in Avatar. The way they interpreted how things evolved on this new world was very interesting to me. So in that way I found Avatar superior.

And yet I found dna trapped in fossilized amber a more believable thing than unobtainium, one of the worst created substances in movie history. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To be fair, JP came out in the summer of 1993, right before I was to start my freshman year of film school. So that is probably a pretty good reason why that movie made a larger impression on me than Avatar did. It was also groundbreaking. Yes, it was basically people getting chased by dinosaurs (although like Jaws, it didn't happen until much later in the movie). But effects like that had never been done before. I'd say the effects in JP were more realistic than those in Avatar--mainly because there was not a lot of real-world live action mixed with special effects, it was either all live action with a few bits of efx or all efx making it look like a cartoon. Those effects were well done, no question, but the way the T-Rex integrated with the live action JP vehicles was spectacular. (And still is, IMO)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, JP came out in the summer of 1993, right before I was to start my freshman year of film school. So that is probably a pretty good reason why that movie made a larger impression on me than Avatar did. It was also groundbreaking. Yes, it was basically people getting chased by dinosaurs (although like Jaws, it didn't happen until much later in the movie). But effects like that had never been done before. I'd say the effects in JP were more realistic than those in Avatar--mainly because there was not a lot of real-world live action mixed with special effects, it was either all live action with a few bits of efx or all efx making it look like a cartoon. Those effects were well done, no question, but the way the T-Rex integrated with the live action JP vehicles was spectacular. (And still is, IMO)

agreed. I'm still shocked at just how impressive the JP effects are, even by today's standards. I mean, I look at the dinosaurs in that movie and then look at the dinos in King Kong and it looks like King Kong actually went BACKWARDS with their SPFX.

That being said... good lord did I dislike JP. Spielberg just completely bitched out on what was one of the greatest popcorn thrill-rides of all time by going gaga with it, ESPECIALLY that ending where the freaking T-Tex saves the day! Ugh.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I totally agree. Perhaps I'm lumping in some of the sequels to JP along with the original in my assessment. It's been a long time since I've seen the original JP.

However I still feel my comparison is valid. JP and Avatar are very similar in that it was the ground breaking special affects that really made these movies special.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard