Its Official: NFL ADMITS TO OFFICIATING ERRORS IN SUPERBOWL!

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
NFL ADMITS TO OFFICIATING ERRORS IN SUPERBOWL ! (2/5/09)
In my opinion its too little too late- this should never happen in a Super Bowl game. These calls were horrendous and an embarrassment to the NFL.

The one that irks me the most is the missed non penalty TD celebration by Steelers WR S.Holmes- when he used the "football as a Prop" along with throwing it. Personally I think its a stupid rule by the NFL that players cant celebrate a TD using the ball. But it was called all season long on Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, and others. For the refs to "not see" it happening in the Super Bowl when 98 million viewers are seeing it happening is a joke.

Would it have changed the game. Maybe or maybe not. That "missed" penalty cossed the Cardinals- as the Steelers would of haved to kick off from there 15yd line- which probably would of left the Cardinals around midfield with 35 seconds left and 2 timeouts. I would of like to see that play out. So would of America. I commend the NFL for admitting the mistake but they should be ashamed & embarrased of themselves.

See the NFL's explanation for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PRBS-ey-6E

Unreal that this would happen in the Super Bowl!

LukesDad88

Registered
Reaction score
He points out that Holmes would have been called for celebration, had the referee seen it. He also points out that the celebration took place well after the play and after the normal time you would see a celebration and that the ref was turned away from Holmes and preparing for the PAT. Yes, it should have been called, but the refs can't see everything.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Director of Officating Mike Pereira was just on NFL network and confirmed "had they seen it, it would've been called."

Also said he would've liked the crew to review Kurt's fumble with .05 left and not just the review booth.

On Harrison's run back, there had been a holding penalty called on Reggie Wells prior, so even if Harrison didn't make it into the endzone, they would've spotted the ball and tacked on the penalty and given the Steelers another play.

Oh well.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Director of Officating Mike Pereira was just on NFL network and confirmed "had they seen it, it would've been called."

Also said he would've liked the crew to review Kurt's fumble with .05 left and not just the review booth.

On Harrison's run back, there had been a holding penalty called on Reggie Wells prior, so even if Harrison didn't make it into the endzone, they would've spotted the ball and tacked on the penalty and given the Steelers another play.

Oh well.

Interestingly enough no one asked him about the clip on Hightower on the same play.

Because it was clipping and they'd have been further embarrassed they missed that too.

It's over please stop these threads, I understand and all but it's never ever going ot change.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interestingly enough no one asked him about the clip on Hightower on the same play.

Because it was clipping and they'd have been further embarrassed they missed that too.

It's over please stop these threads, I understand and all but it's never ever going ot change.

Yeah it does no good.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Yes, but if the clipping was called, it would have been offsetting penalties and would have gone back to the spot of the hold by Wells(I think).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if the clipping was called, it would have been offsetting penalties and would have gone back to the spot of the hold by Wells(I think).

I think it would have been from the spot of the clip, and they'd have had a FG try, at least. 13-7 vs. 17-7 (as opposed to 10-10 or 14-10 as it SHOULD have been had Kurt not thrown that nasty pick...fade to larry, fade to larry, fade to larry, fg should be what we do in that spot, always.)

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
NFL ADMITS TO OFFICIATING ERRORS IN SUPERBOWL ! (2/5/09)
In my opinion its too little too late- this should never happen in a Super Bowl game. These calls were horrendous and an embarrassment to the NFL.

The one that irks me the most is the missed non penalty TD celebration by Steelers WR S.Holmes- when he used the "football as a Prop" along with throwing it. Personally I think its a stupid rule by the NFL that players cant celebrate a TD using the ball. But it was called all season long on Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, and others. For the refs to "not see" it happening in the Super Bowl when 98 million viewers are seeing it happening is a joke.

Would it have changed the game. Maybe or maybe not. That "missed" penalty cossed the Cardinals- as the Steelers would of haved to kick off from there 15yd line- which probably would of left the Cardinals around midfield with 35 seconds left and 2 timeouts. I would of like to see that play out. So would of America. I commend the NFL for admitting the mistake but they should be ashamed & embarrased of themselves.

See the NFL's explanation for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PRBS-ey-6E

Unreal that this would happen in the Super Bowl!

The thing about Mike Pereira is, it's great that he comes on the air but what is the point if you are only going to be interviewed by someone who also gets paid by the NFL? They never ask any legit follow up questions. Since Holmes did not move one foot away from where he could the TD, why did that ref just assume that Holmes was done celebrating? He expects us to believe that the guy had a burning responsibility for the PAT attempt at that exact moment? No, he was just negligent - why can't Mr. Pereira admit that fact.

I agree with "conraddobler" that we should all just move on, but I can't, I'm sorry. It's really not that much to ask for some competent officiating.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think it would have been from the spot of the clip, and they'd have had a FG try, at least. 13-7 vs. 17-7 (as opposed to 10-10 or 14-10 as it SHOULD have been had Kurt not thrown that nasty pick...fade to larry, fade to larry, fade to larry, fg should be what we do in that spot, always.)

Stop it I'm tempted to write that in Warners lawn.

Fade to Larry, Fade to Larry, Fade to Larry, um FG's need love too!!!

Interceptions, there, not so much... :)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He points out that Holmes would have been called for celebration, had the referee seen it. He also points out that the celebration took place well after the play and after the normal time you would see a celebration and that the ref was turned away from Holmes and preparing for the PAT. Yes, it should have been called, but the refs can't see everything.

I've seen video of the back judge in front and to the right of Holmes with his head (eyes) clearly on him as he walked by.

This angle was first shown on the NFL Network when their panel was doing the recap following the game and the issue was brought up.

Last evening, they showed video of several seconds later to make the case that no decision-maker had seen the infraction.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Oh well.

No. He said it was a facemask penalty and that the play would have been spotted at the one, or so - IF the infraction was prior to the interception.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Wasn't the ball at about the 25-30 yard line when the block in the back occurred? If it was at that spot a 45+ yard field goal is not gimmee.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen video of the back judge in front and to the right of Holmes with his head (eyes) clearly on him as he walked by.

This angle was first shown on the NFL Network when their panel was doing the recap following the game and the issue was brought up.

Last evening, they showed video of several seconds later to make the case that no decision-maker had seen the infraction.

Thanks for the clarification, this is just great. That's a different ballgame with the Steelers kicking off from the 15.

I know, I know....just forget about it already....

Also, agreed with Donald that the play before the half HAS to be a fade to Larry....the one thing we learned forever in this playoffs is:

Double Covered = Open (for Larry)

Even if it gets picked it's nothing but a touchback......just brutal play call....

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Pereira does an effective job explaining that most of the rulings were correct.

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score

That sounds about right. The Steelers would then have one untimed down.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Interestingly enough no one asked him about the clip on Hightower on the same play. Because it was clipping and they'd have been further embarrassed they missed that too.

I was so hoping someone onm the set would ask about the clip on Hightower but amazingly that went without notice!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
the question i'd like to ask him,and i'm being serious,can a facemask penalty be called on an offensive player using the stiff arm? You see it happen all the time but the offensive is never called. Holmes and DRC both grabbed the mask but no call on Holmes.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
the question i'd like to ask him,and i'm being serious,can a facemask penalty be called on an offensive player using the stiff arm? You see it happen all the time but the offensive is never called. Holmes and DRC both grabbed the mask but no call on Holmes.

I would like to know that answer as well....it can't possibly be legal for Holmes to grab DRC's facemask and hold it that long, then DRC gets flagged in retaliation.....

....I will let go soon, maybe another couple weeks.....

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

He never twisted the mask, I see what you are saying and the play is clear as day he had a great hold on the thing but he never twisted this head and DRC did twist his so that's why I think it was called that way.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually, Pereira does an effective job explaining that most of the rulings were correct.

Most of???

Well, he said the issue of using the ball as a prop was certainly a penalty, but - then explained it away by saying the judge didn't see the infraction.

There is video evidence, as I stated previously, that only a blind man would have missed because the judge was no more than 3, 4 feet to the right and forward of Holmes as he was doing his act.

They deliberately used video later in the sequence to support "P" explanation.

Regarding spotting the ball at the one, or so, on the int. return. "P" said that there had been a facemask call earlier in the play, and IF it had happened BEFORE the interception, then the Steelers would have had an untimed down.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I wish someone would have asked him about Harrison's personal foul penalty, finding out if he should have been ejected or not.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
...fade to larry, fade to larry, fade to larry, fg should be what we do in that spot, always

How come every Cardinal fan watching the game thought that should be the play call but it wasn't? You throw it high enough that either Larry catches it or its incomplete. No DB has been able to jump with him all season.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player