It's official. Cards and K K are one Kliff Kingsbury Cards

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were going to take this swing, I would have gone with the Rams QB Coach Taylor.

college coaches who were very successful in college, but had zero NFL experience and flamed out spectactulary is pretty long.

Again, I wouldn't lean so heavily on the side of this could be a spectacular failure if Kingsbury was a wiz kid who actually succeeded in college, but in a conference where Baylor and even Texas Tech under Mike Leach could rise to prominence at least a couple times, his lack of success there gives me some major hee-bee-jee-bees.
Chip Kelly would still be in the nfl if he realized there was a time during the game to slow it down , 4 minute offenses and adjustments. I think double K will be a bit smarter learning on the run.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Please for the love of God Coach Kingsbury do not look at Keim and Bidwill from the podium at your introductory press conference and say, “You guys made the right decision” or “you’ve got a winner in town” or make any references to “one heartbeat”

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Deal is done.

Griping won't change it. We face a new season with a creative, aggressivee, offensive-minded HC and 10 draft picks.

A good time to get with the pgm and hope like hell that we're attaching ourselves to the tail of a winner.
After last years embarrassing showing I'm in, all the hate for this hire even before 1 staff member has been hired is odd, be skeptical, concerned, leary fine but throwing in the towel already is an over reaction..cmon we're Cards fans dangit we can endure anything lol

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Deal is done.

Griping won't change it. We face a new season with a creative, aggressivee, offensive-minded HC and 10 draft picks.

A good time to get with the pgm and hope like hell that we're attaching ourselves to the tail of a winner.
Couldn’t you have said the same thing last year when Wilks was hired?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, why are people fans of KK? What has he done to earn your praise? Mahomes?

Telling that he couldn’t win with Mahomes in my book.
He is an offensive wiz. He is great at developing young Qb’s. One thing for sure we will know where we stand with Rosen barring injury. If Rosen is the reason we stink then we will be drafting high once again with what many are considering a great qb class in 2020. I’ll go out on a limb and say we will average at least a td more per game. In fact I would not be surprised if we draft a qb this year that fits Kk’s offense.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that this is risky, but we are not left wondering wtf the offense will look like like we were with Wilks and having no QB when we hired him. Feels good man.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is an offensive wiz. He is great at developing young Qb’s. One thing for sure we will know where we stand with Rosen barring injury. If Rosen is the reason we stink then we will be drafting high once again with what many are considering a great qb class in 2020. I’ll go out on a limb and say we will average at least a td more per game. In fact I would not be surprised if we draft a qb this year that fits Kk’s offense.

That was all in the NCAA. What has he done in the NFL against real defenses?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Out of all of the known candidates, who would you have picked over Klingsbury?
KK was not even a known available candidate until very recently. If we can pull any name out of thin air from college to the NFL the list could go on forever.

As far as I can tell KK and Zac were the only ones with an official interview. If that's the case then talk about marrying the first girl you date. I have to believe there had to be at least one more interview just because of the Rooney rule but still. It just feels like another panic move and makes me feel like there wasn't a lot of interest from other more obvious choices if none of them even flew in to meet. If that is true it speaks to the challenges this org is facing beyond a new HC.

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score
The failure rate for NFL Head Coaches is pretty high, that's why there are 6-8 new HC hirings every offseason. Everyone says college coaches can't get it done, but the same is true of successful coordinators and retreads who already failed as NFL HC in the past.

This move is the ultimate "no risk it no biscuit" move. KK is either a QB guru who turns Rosen into an all-pro and has a nice long stint as our HC, or he's in way over his head and gets the Steve Wilks treatment. At any rate, it's good to see that SK/MB are all in on the QB position. We've only ever been good when we've gotten production from QB: Warner/healthy Palmer/Plummer having a good season. These are our playoff appearances.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no perfect choice obviously... But, Taylor? Why?? Based on what?? And whatever that is, is it really anything more compelling than what Klingsbury brings to the party??

First, can we not with the double question marks as if I'm acting like a crazy person. We can discuss this without flying off the handle, can't we?

Second... as to why Taylor, he would have been a home-run or strikeout swing as well, but in taking that shot, I value his NFL experience. I value a young coaching mind having been part of success in the NFL. I also value a guy who has watched McVay for a couple seasons succeed at the NFL level. And last, because he's the one who's been tasked specifically with working with Goff. Yes, McVay is there and I'm sure he had a big hand there, but he was also the head coach who has a billion different jobs as well so it's my opinion that Taylor at least had SOMETHING to do with making Goff a Pro-Bowler after one of the most woeful rookie seasons ever.

So, in sum up, NFL experience with a great program, young offensive mind and one more thing... he knows the ins and outs of the best team in the division.

Kingsbury doesn't bring NFL experience or success building a winning program. That scares the bejeezus out of me.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
KK was not even a known available candidate until very recently. If we can pull any name out of thin air from college to the NFL the list could go on forever.

As far as I can tell KK and Zac were the only ones with an official interview. If that's the case then talk about marrying the first girl you date. I have to believe there had to be at least one more interview just because of the Rooney rule but still. It just feels like another panic move and makes me feel like there wasn't a lot of interest from other more obvious choices if none of them even flew in to meet. If that is true it speaks to the challenges this org is facing beyond a new HC.

Caldwell, Gase, Campbell were also official interviews.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was all in the NCAA. What has he done in the NFL against real defenses?
Well I will be willing to bet it won’t be DJ up the middle, sack and be staring at 3rd and 16 every other drive.much was said of how intelligent and pro ready Rosen was. Yet it was never used. Hell we didn’t run a trick play until week 13 for god sakes. KK will tap into Rosen’s intelligence, if indeed Rosen has what it takes.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
HR 2aw never

He was never coming here or anywhere for that matter, he's waiting for Bellicek to retire to take over

That's what I assumed also but I think JMD got the sense BB is going to try to coach until he is 90 instead of departing in the next two years like what the original plan may have been. Otherwise his name wouldn't even be floated at all. I think he would take a HC job today, but not for AZ or any other team that he doesn't feel he can have very quick success with. Why stay in purgatory for a few years when you can take over the Pats in a few years?

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
This reeks of us looking over to the neighbors driveway and seeing the brand new Ferrari and rushing out to buy the first Italian sports car we can get our hands on.

Hard to sell me on the organization having any kind of actual vision based on the wild differences in the 3 HCs we have had in the last 18 months. It seems more like a let’s throw this against the wall and see if it sticks/if all else fails let’s just do what everybody else is doing type of approach.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I agree this is very risky. I'm not sure that I like it.
I'm admittedly kind of scared of the whole thing. This is in no way a slam dunk (which is how I felt when we got Arians, and even Denny Green).

We can't turn tail and fire KK at the end of the season like we did with Wilks, but we could certainly end up in a situation where we end up having to move on from Keim... and if we're moving on from Keim, it's likely been a disaster of a season. What GM is going to want to come in and deal with that for a set amount of seasons?

I'm just not sure what happens to this franchise if KK or Rosen don't pan out. It's nerve wracking to think that there's so much at stake that could turn us into a perennial failure again until I'm in my 40s.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Hey USC...Sarkisian is now available :)

You must be registered for see images attach

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

LOL they interviewed Gase, Caldwell, Campbell, Taylor, and Klingsbury. Not sure where you get your news but you may want to think twice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave