It's amazing how fast everyone got over how bad the draft was.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I'm not really that down on the draft either.

I've pretty much had enough of "WE FINALLY HAVE OUR DE, CB, RB!!"

This one was graded so poorly that I'm actually excited about it.

I also like the fact that ESPN has us dead last. But then again, I'm kinda weird.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
This is what I was trying to say, you just put it much more clearly. You're exactly right. There was a lot less at "the top" of this draft than usual. The guys picked from 11-32 were guys who would be second rounders in a lot of years.

I mean, really, Michael Haynes? Rex Grossman? Calvin Pace? Sammy Davis? George Foster?

Oh totally. Ask my brother Redrage, what my reaction was when the trade was announced. I was livid, and had to be asked to calm down until we picked. Then we picked two guys that I liked to begin with, so I felt better.

One question that I had: How would everyone react if we had stayed at our spot and drafted OUR best available (the Cards thought Sullivan was the best available)?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I also like the fact that ESPN has us dead last. But then again, I'm kinda weird.

Me too. I think that it was you that pointed out that at the beginning of the NBA season that the Suns were ranked close to last. The only talent on our team, they said, was Shawn Marion.

Then again, until the Cards win, they aren't good. At least in the eyes of the national press. What the hell am I talking about? Even in the eyes of the local press.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by earthsci
Me too. I think that it was you that pointed out that at the beginning of the NBA season that the Suns were ranked close to last. The only talent on our team, they said, was Shawn Marion.

Right now motivation is definately in their corner (which is rediculous given that they're professionals, but still).

Will the coaching staff channel it where it needs to go?

Will the young talent step up?

All these questions and more will be answered next time, on SOAP.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
This is what I was trying to say, you just put it much more clearly. You're exactly right. There was a lot less at "the top" of this draft than usual. The guys picked from 11-32 were guys who would be second rounders in a lot of years.

I mean, really, Michael Haynes? Rex Grossman? Calvin Pace? Sammy Davis? George Foster?

Michael Haynes...didn't he used to team up with Terry Gordy and Ronnie Garvin to form the powerhouse 3-Man-Tag-Team "The Fabulous Freebirds"?

OP
OP
E

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, I think he's that CB that used to play for the Patriots.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was one of the few people, actually I should say 2 people (Tango and myself) who actually liked what the cardinals did on draft day. We got bashed in the chat room that day.

After taking a closer look at who we drafted, I'm going out on a limb again and I'm going to say that this will be the most productive draft the Cardinals have had in years. I think the majority of players drafted this year will be playing in the new stadium.

I love the receivers we drafted and think they will both make an immediate impact.

People were down on the Pace pick, I saw an excellent athlete who was voted the ACC Defensive player of the year. I can't wait to see what this kid can do.

I believe Hayes will eventually replace McKinnon. He was rated by many as the second best middle linebacker in the 2003 draft. He is a tackling machine!

I think the one player who might be the biggest surprise is the Wells kid from Clarion. The guy has really quick feet, good size
and just needs to get some more experiece. He will back up our big tackles for many years to come.

The King pick in the fifth round was a good Value and I think he may become a decent player. He has good size for a DE, is quick and is very strong. He is more compact that Wakefield and has better speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves ahead of Wakefield by the end of the season.

I'm not as high on our Undrafted Rookie Free Agents this year. However with the holes on this team I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them make the team. Possibly Cromartie, the CB from Florida will land a spot as a Nickle Back. I think most of them will just be Camp Fodder.

Last edited:

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
If we had drafted Suggs we all would have said what a great draft it was. No matter who we took in later rounds we would have proclaimed this as a great draft. But we didn't take him. Why not? I certainly hope it wasn't in an effort to save money just for the sake of saving money. If you believe Rod Graves and read between the lines of what he has been preaching, the draft is only one of three aspects to the off season of building a winner. Buddy Ryan said it best when he said....well, never mind....The three aspects of building a winner we'll call the "Graves Triumvirate Three" (LOL) which consists of Pre Draft Moves, which we'll call PDM, the Draft, which we'll designate TAD (The Actual Draft), and lastly, Post Draft Moves, hereby now known as "PDM--We'll see if Graves can get done what he said he was gonna get done". I really think he has a plan and will follow through on it. I hope he does cause I do not want the season to start with the national image of us "blowing" the draft. I want the national media to say, 'Oh, that's why they traded down, so they could have money left over to pursue the June 1 cuts. Very smart by the Cardinals. This was all engineered by newly appointed GM, Rod Graves. What a great off season he's put together for the Cardinals.' (I'm paraphrasing, of course). Anyhow, I do not think if the Cardinals had selected Suggs that Graves would be in any position to make any post draft moves of any significance. So, I will judge this draft based on the "Graves Triumvirate Three" heretofore mentioned and now known as GTT. If he can pick up a few players for the defensive side of the ball as well as Stokes or Muhammad on the offensive side, I'll give him an A+ for the offseason. I mean, really, none of us expected the draft to solve all of our problems did we? It doesn't appear that Graves and the Cardinals did either. At least I hope not. Go Cards in 03

azsports

Veteran
Reaction score
As you said not much we can do about it now but I will never be over it. That was about the worst draft I can remember for the Cardinals. I thought George Boone was back in charge. I hope it all works out but I am a long way from over it.

OP
OP
E

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, we've had plenty of "A+" drafts that have turned into total stinkers. So I'm not too worried about media grades. I am more worried that, in my opinion, we made need picks in round 1 when better players were available. That's timid drafting.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
After taking a closer look at who we drafted, I'm going out on a limb again and I'm going to say that this will be the most productive draft the Cardinals have had in years. I think the majority of players drafted this year will be playing in the new stadium.

Well you wouldn't be going out on much of a limb because the Cards have had only one "productive" draft in the last 10 years. Only 4 starters left who were drafted before 2001. On the other hand Tampa had 9 starters on defense who were drafted and their average time with the team was 6 years. The Cards have drafted one player who has been with the team for 6 years.

I would have to say the most productive draft for the team was the 2001 group with BIG, Wilson and KVB et al. The 2002 group which contributed little last season also has the potential to be a solid group. Bryant, Fisher, DJohnson, and McAdderly all have the potential to be major contributors.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well you wouldn't be going out on much of a limb because the Cards have had only one "productive" draft in the last 10 years.
By what standard? Do you factor in injuries and/or the inability to develop young players or get them to re-sign?

How much of that can you predict when you're drafting? (Also - how much of that is a function of not being sharp enough to know whether a guy will be a me-guy or want to cut and run the first time he sees adversity? And how much of that is plain old luck?

Example: There weren't too many people who were upset when we made the trade that netted us Wads, Chavous and Clement. Yet only Clement remains. Does that make it a bad draft?

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Well you wouldn't be going out on much of a limb because the Cards have had only one "productive" draft in the last 10 years.
By what standard? Do you factor in injuries and/or the inability to develop young players or get them to re-sign?

How much of that can you predict when you're drafting? (Also - how much of that is a function of not being sharp enough to know whether a guy will be a me-guy or want to cut and run the first time he sees adversity? And how much of that is plain old luck?

Example: There weren't too many people who were upset when we made the trade that netted us Wads, Chavous and Clement. Yet only Clement remains. Does that make it a bad draft?
Jeeezzz......this over anylizing is maddening..no pun intended...Ducks statement stands for itself...it's all of the standards you stated, injury, inability, me first guys. It's not hard to see if you open your eyes. This team has not won anything since coming to the valley. All of the things apply. They havn't been able to figure it out. So it's not hard to justify his statement when they can't win with the players they have brought in by the Draft, FA, or otherwise. You just like to overanylize...frickin East Coast...nembies......Arrghhhh

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Well

Originally posted by CardsRep03
If we had drafted Suggs we all would have said what a great draft it was. No matter who we took in later rounds we would have proclaimed this as a great draft. But we didn't take him. Why not? I certainly hope it wasn't in an effort to save money just for the sake of saving money. If you believe Rod Graves and read between the lines of what he has been preaching, the draft is only one of three aspects to the off season of building a winner. Buddy Ryan said it best when he said....well, never mind....The three aspects of building a winner we'll call the "Graves Triumvirate Three" (LOL) which consists of Pre Draft Moves, which we'll call PDM, the Draft, which we'll designate TAD (The Actual Draft), and lastly, Post Draft Moves, hereby now known as "PDM--We'll see if Graves can get done what he said he was gonna get done". I really think he has a plan and will follow through on it. I hope he does cause I do not want the season to start with the national image of us "blowing" the draft. I want the national media to say, 'Oh, that's why they traded down, so they could have money left over to pursue the June 1 cuts. Very smart by the Cardinals. This was all engineered by newly appointed GM, Rod Graves. What a great off season he's put together for the Cardinals.' (I'm paraphrasing, of course). Anyhow, I do not think if the Cardinals had selected Suggs that Graves would be in any position to make any post draft moves of any significance. So, I will judge this draft based on the "Graves Triumvirate Three" heretofore mentioned and now known as GTT. If he can pick up a few players for the defensive side of the ball as well as Stokes or Muhammad on the offensive side, I'll give him an A+ for the offseason. I mean, really, none of us expected the draft to solve all of our problems did we? It doesn't appear that Graves and the Cardinals did either. At least I hope not. Go Cards in 03

I'm not so sure about the PDM part of the draft or the TAD.

All I know is that if Pace doesn't provide a pass rush or Johnson/Boldin fail to catch the ball then we'll be SOL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard