It's amazing how fast everyone got over how bad the draft was.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And all the posts that you are about to make that say "IT WASN'T A BAD DRAFT!" prove my point :)

I for one am totally over it. As disappointed as I was 2 weekends ago, what's done is done and now I want to see how Pace and Johnson can contribute.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Eh, what can we do about it now? No use crying over spilt milk......play with the hand you were dealt and all those other cliches apply.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
And all the posts that you are about to make that say "IT WASN'T A BAD DRAFT!" prove my point :)

I for one am totally over it. As disappointed as I was 2 weekends ago, what's done is done and now I want to see how Pace and Johnson can contribute.

I was thinking the same thing...

Everyone on the Poll between KVB and Pace have Pace ahead be half a dozen votes or so.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
What are Card fans famous for?...short memories. That's why we do so well in a harsh environment.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
The way I see it, there are things we can do right now to improve our team, so why worry about what we could have done back then?

Hindsight can sneak up and prove us all wrong about the draft!!!

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's true Ron.

If we didn't have the ability to forget bad drafts, we'd all have walked away years ago.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score

It was easy Ed - "Bad draft" is your term. For those of us who, from the start, thought it was Ok...have had nothing to get over...:wave:

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: It's amazing how fast everyone got over how bad the draft was.

Originally posted by Northern Card
It was easy Ed - "Bad draft" is your term. For those of us who, from the start, thought it was Ok...have had nothing to get over...:wave:

Well, "my" term isn't really fair. You know, 98% of the fans called it a bad draft so it really wouldn't be fair of me to claim credit for coining the term. Thanks though.

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
Only time will tell if this draft was a good one... personally, I do not think it was as bad as some on this board think...

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
The way I see it, there are things we can do right now to improve our team, so why worry about what we could have done back then?

Hindsight can sneak up and prove us all wrong about the draft!!!

Well said.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wildman©
Only time will tell if this draft was a good one... personally, I do not think it was as bad as some on this board think...

I agree. I think that if we liked who we were taking, who cares what draftniks and other prognosticators say.

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say there will probably be a couple guys who are surprisingly good and a couple who are surprisingly bad in this class. I don't see a lot of middle ground for these guys.

A couple of them will be real hits and the rest will be forgotten in 3 years. That's the nature of the kinds of players we took. I think Johnson, Hayes, and Boldin are going to be 10-year contributors. The rest of them might not even be around to see the new stadium.

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
"If I had to guess, I'd say there will probably be a couple guys who are surprisingly good and a couple who are surprisingly bad in this class. I don't see a lot of middle ground for these guys. "

Ed:
I feel this way about the entire draft. I do not see any really super , can't miss type players at any position but I do see a lot of good athletes with potential. I think that the surprises of this entire draft may come from the 2nd through 4th rounds...

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wildman©
"If I had to guess, I'd say there will probably be a couple guys who are surprisingly good and a couple who are surprisingly bad in this class. I don't see a lot of middle ground for these guys. "

Ed:
I feel this way about the entire draft. I do not see any really super , can't miss type players at any position but I do see a lot of good athletes with potential. I think that the surprises of this entire draft may come from the 2nd through 4th rounds...

I couldn't agree more. This is the kind of draft where there is very little difference in talent between the guys picked at the end of the 1st round and the middle of the 3rd.

In the long run, 3rd rounders like Kelley Washington and Gerald Hayes could turn out to be much, much better players that 1st rounders like Tyler Brayton or Nick Barnett.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. This is the kind of draft where there is very little difference in talent between the guys picked at the end of the 1st round and the middle of the 3rd.

In the long run, 3rd rounders like Kelley Washington and Gerald Hayes could turn out to be much, much better players that 1st rounders like Tyler Brayton or Nick Barnett.

This draft seemed to break down like this:
10 first round quality talents
50 second round quality talents
40 third round quality talents.

When we traded down, we basically got 3 2nd round quality players, instead of one 1st round quality and one 2nd round quality. Hayes could also fit in as a 2nd rounder, so we might have gotten 4 2nd rounders.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

When we traded down, we basically got 3 2nd round quality players, instead of one 1st round quality and one 2nd round quality. Hayes could also fit in as a 2nd rounder, so we might have gotten 4 2nd rounders.

the only thing that scares me about all of the above - look at who our second rounders have been - eeeek!

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lets see em sign

I'll be prepared to call the draft a success when I see our first three picks signed before pre-season. The most frustrating thing for me the last few years has been watching us give millions to guys who can't contribute for a whole year because they held out too long or we didn't come up with the cash needed.

I don't care who's at fault for these past trends, but I'll be very happy if I see our draft picks playing.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by RonF
What are Card fans famous for?...short memories. That's why we do so well in a harsh environment.
LMAO, sad but true!

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: It's amazing how fast everyone got over how bad the draft was.

Well, "my" term isn't really fair. You know, 98% of the fans called it a bad draft so it really wouldn't be fair of me to claim credit for coining the term. Thanks though.

98%

The "Ed Bureau of Statistics"... Heck! - why not 99.9999999%...:D

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

This is what I was trying to say, you just put it much more clearly. You're exactly right. There was a lot less at "the top" of this draft than usual. The guys picked from 11-32 were guys who would be second rounders in a lot of years.

I mean, really, Michael Haynes? Rex Grossman? Calvin Pace? Sammy Davis? George Foster?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I was trying to say, you just put it much more clearly. You're exactly right. There was a lot less at "the top" of this draft than usual. The guys picked from 11-32 were guys who would be second rounders in a lot of years.

I mean, really, Michael Haynes? Rex Grossman? Calvin Pace? Sammy Davis? George Foster?

That is why it bothered me when everyone was dogging the Cards for picking Pace @18 - even if that was a little high, it is not like Pace is any less of a reach/risk then anyone else drafted 11-90.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: It's amazing how fast everyone got over how bad the draft was.

Originally posted by Northern Card

I'm with you Northern.
I was on record from the moment the picks were made, especially Pace, When I stated in the chat room, that these picks were not as bad as everyone was making them out to be.

I think that especially from the 3rd round on, the Cards drafted primarily the best athelete available.....another nice sign.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard