Isaiah Simmons and the 5th year option

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Clear bust” is overstating it. It’s not like you can’t put him on the field. Brandon Williams was a clear bust.

Simmons is a disappointment. That said, with Keim gone I suspect we’ll decline the 5th year option. That’s a lot of money to spend on an ILB who isn’t a consistent pro bowler.
I'll see Brandon Williams and raise you Buster Davis. No one had clearer bust labeled all over him. :biglaugh:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
“Clear bust” is overstating it. It’s not like you can’t put him on the field. Brandon Williams was a clear bust.

Simmons is a disappointment. That said, with Keim gone I suspect we’ll decline the 5th year option. That’s a lot of money to spend on an ILB who isn’t a consistent pro bowler.
This is what I was going to say as well. You would be paying Simmons a top 10 ILB contract for a guy who doesn't have a position and there is no justification for it. 12 mil is a lot. Essentially you have to decline it and then hope you can extend him if he fits in the new scheme.

rusfletcher

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. It is the no-brainer of the off season. Even Steve Keim couldn't mess it up.
Keim not only could mess it up but would. Reddick had a superior 4th year than Simmons and 5th year was not excercised. Firing Kim was by far the best offseason move to date.

I'm confident Monti will do the right thing and exercise Simmons year 5 option.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Keim not only could mess it up but would. Reddick had a superior 4th year than Simmons and 5th year was not excercised. Firing Kim was by far the best offseason move to date.

yup///
the 5th year option is the cost to find out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

How do you even know? Simmons' fourth professional season begins next fall. LOL.

You have to commit to the 5th year option following a player's 3rd season. It's guaranteed for performance and injury, but the contract can be traded.

Reddick started only five games in his third year and notched just one sack. Sad!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The Cards declined Reddick's 5th-year option based on his third-year stats and before his fourth-season breakout. Simmons is entering his fourth season. Reddick had 76 tackles and one sack in his third season. Simmons just had 99 tackles and four sacks.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keim hired a 3-4 defensive coordinator and promptly starting drafting 4-3 players
This is the Way. Or, this WAS the Way. Maybe it'll be different now? Who knows?

Pick up the 5th year and see how it goes. They aren't going to draft/sign anyone better and they have so many holes to fill. A gamble but one worth taking I think.

Of course, if Vance is still DC...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Extending the option will tell me Keim influence is still heavy in that office.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s really going to hurt people when they come to the realization that Simmons, unlike Reddick, has actually been doing the same thing in college, he’s just not good at it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It’s really going to hurt people when they come to the realization that Simmons, unlike Reddick, has actually been doing the same thing in college, he’s just not good at it.
thats the problem. They been asking Simmons to make the jump to the NFL game at 4 different positions.
any decent coach would have given him two years in one spot. then once he was solid in that spot, expand his role by one spot in the off season, let him get solid playing 2 spots, then repeat.
Learning NFL defenses aint easy and by all accounts Josephs are more complicated than most.
Simmons should have never been asked to do anything other than ILB until he learned it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You cannot underestimate the negative developmental impact of VJ.
I really don’t think that applies to Simmons like everyone else does.

There’s things that I believe are out of Vance’s control & even Isaiah’s himself due to his frame that cannot be fixed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I really don’t think that applies to Simmons like everyone else does.

There’s things that I believe are out of Vance’s control & even Isaiah’s himself due to his frame that cannot be fixed.
Mm, I think you can't be subjective on this one, but I understand your point. I'd like to see what he does under a different DC.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mm, I think you can't be subjective on this one, but I understand your point. I'd like to see what he does under a different DC.
What can a different DC do that Vance hasn’t already done with him? Vance has put him in spots where others wanted him to, but he clearly can’t play at none of those spots at a high & consistent level.

People so badly believe this is Reddick 2.0, but Reddick was screwed from the start by playing a position he never played at in college. He wasn’t doing the same thing he was doing in college his first couple of years here.

Simmons, OTOH, has.

I want Simmons to succeed. I really do. However, I think people are more lenient with Simmons than any other Cardinal player in recent memory & I don’t know why.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or when your DL is subpar. This team lacks at the trenches on both sides of the ball
I understand why people make excuses for our alleged most talented players repeatedly failing to rise to the occasion, but I can’t do it myself.

Simmons isn’t good enough to be a featured player and he’s not consistent enough to be a role player.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I understand why people make excuses for our alleged most talented players repeatedly failing to rise to the occasion, but I can’t do it myself.

Simmons isn’t good enough to be a featured player and he’s not consistent enough to be a role player.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think the reason he got moved away from ILB cause he was never gonna get it.

Hard for you to be an effective ILB if you’re a liability against the run & man-coverage.
i think Simmmons is one of two positions:

centerfield safety -- range / straightline speed help here, as will eyes on the play in front of him. Instincts though are a ?

ideally, 4-3 WOLB. half the field and 1/3 the responsibilities. Let him run and chase, blitz, drop.

Im not bothered that guys like Kittle and Kelce give him trouble-- they give everyone trouble.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I just think if we had better consistency across the DL we could get a better idea of what we have behind them. How good or deficient a guy is at a position really gets skewed when they are facing OL at the freaking second level. I wonder how good our LBs could be without going to through the trash at the point of attack. I often wonder how good Budda could be in coverage or Thompson if they were not always having to cover up for what the DL does not hold in check. I wonder how good our CBs could be with some pressuse up the middle. Allen is coming along, and JJ Watt was still good but that dang interior with Fotu was a joke but yet he was our starter. Dogbe seemed to regress, though I liked the late addition of Hill and if healthy Lawrence showed promise but how long does one wait on a guy like that who is never available which you can count on... which makes a guy like Carter tempting to draft but now we lost JJ Watt which makes a guy like Anderson more important because you need a premium pass rusher

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'll agree when I see him used by a different coaching staff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose