Is this the most unanimously disliked pick in ASFN history?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We have had a certain way of seeing Suns picks the last however many years of the Sarver reign. This is a totally different approach last night, imho. After reading Roy Williams piece and other player bios, it seems the Suns are trying to bring certain types of players on board. Looks like basketball IQ, shooting, good citizenship, good work ethics, etc. are kind of the blue print. Just my opinion.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
We have had a certain way of seeing Suns picks the last however many years of the Sarver reign. This is a totally different approach last night, imho. After reading Roy Williams piece and other player bios, it seems the Suns are trying to bring certain types of players on board. Looks like basketball IQ, shooting, good citizenship, good work ethics, etc. are kind of the blue print. Just my opinion.
I tend to agree with this. I think it would be worse if we were following the same blueprint that we have been following for the last decade. This new blueprint seems crazy to me (as I sit on my couch eating potato chips), but at least it is something different. I think we could have gotten much better players with our picks and assets, but until we let the “plan” play itself out I have no way of knowing if what I wanted (once again I am a random guy sitting on a couch eating potato chips) was better or worse than what was done.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I tend to agree with this. I think it would be worse if we were following the same blueprint that we have been following for the last decade. This new blueprint seems crazy to me (as I sit on my couch eating potato chips), but at least it is something different. I think we could have gotten much better players with our picks and assets, but until we let the “plan” play itself out I have no way of knowing if what I wanted (once again I am a random guy sitting on a couch eating potato chips) was better or worse than what was done.
It's the opposite of crazy. It is ultra safe. Going with guys that are likely high floor, but also likely low ceiling is a safe way to go. It's not sexy or glamorous, but with the current makeup of the roster it makes a lot more sense to target upper class men that have some refined NBA level skills than to draft more young guys who are still pretty raw, but have high ceilings. The team is looking to make a move forward in the win column and guys like Ty and Cam are more likely to contribute to that right away than most of the other guys that were available.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's an exaggeration.

Jacobsen was not more athletic. He was less of a shooter and shorter as well.

Shorter, yes, but Jacobsen had as good of a jumpshot (he was hailed as the best shooter in that draft) and at least had the capacity to drive to the hoop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found a way to feel much better about the draft. I've decided that Jerome was out pick at #11, and Johnson at #24.

Another way I look at it, #32 was traded for 3 second round picks or the Suns draft someone I'm not high on.

So the Suns come away with two first round draft picks instead of #11 and #32.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I do love how some people are saying that giving up the 6 Warren 32 and bucks pick is giving up a lot for 4 backups I'll break it down for those people.

Warren= a sun's backup who doesn't want to be a backup

32= most likely s*** with a 1% chance of being something

Bucks pick = s*** with a slightly higher than 1% of doing something

#6 (in what is being projected as a historically weak draft) = most likely a backup with a decent chance of being a starter

I'm not that enthusiastic about what happened but can we atleast let these guys play a bit before we jump all over them

Side note cap space use did suck though

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shorter, yes, but Jacobsen had as good of a jumpshot (he was hailed as the best shooter in that draft)

That was a myth as his NBA-career kind of proved.

When defenses started to focus on him, his efficiency has gone.

I see Cameron in more of a Kyle Korver- or a more athletic Steve Novak-mode.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That was a myth as his NBA-career kind of proved.

When defenses started to focus on him, his efficiency has gone.

I see Cameron in more of a Kyle Korver- or a more athletic Steve Novak-mode.

Actually, Jacobson, while more athletic than Johnson, was still too slow and unathletic to get his shot off normally in the NBA, which led to him rushing his shot. I would expect the same from Johnson.

Both were fine in college but not really viable NBA prospects.

The only way Korver lasted as long as he did (and even then he was never more than a role player) is that he has an insanely quick natural release on his shot (along the lines of Chris Mullin).

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only way Korver lasted as long as he did (and even then he was never more than a role player) is that he has an insanely quick natural release on his shot (along the lines of Chris Mullin).

Yes, Korver being Johnson's ceiling is alarming.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, Korver being Johnson's ceiling is alarming.

And to me, a taller Casey Jacobson is the more likely result, as Johnson does not have an insanely quick natural release on his jumper.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I have no problem with this new approach, but I do not like the execution.

The Warren-trade was simply terrible. The Jerome-trade was contradictional with the Warren-trade.

Saric is low value for moving up from #11 to #6. For example, the Pelicans for a similar jump got #17, #35, a future 1st rounder and dumping a 12 mil. contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with this new approach, but I do not like the execution.

The Warren-trade was simply terrible. The Jerome-trade was contradictional with the Warren-trade.

Saric is low value for moving up from #11 to #6. For example, the Pelicans for a similar jump got #17, #35, a future 1st rounder and dumping a 12 mil. contract.

I'm not sure how I feel about the value in our deal but the Hawks were committed to moving up for Hunter and paid a premium to do it. I believe the rumors that we were looking to take Hunter if he fell that far. But even with the Atlanta overpay, if you consider Saric a starter the value looks about the same to me unless they actually did give up a future 1st rounder, I'd thought the future pick was a 2nd rounder going the other way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard