Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep Kyler, build the team up some more then cut your losses with Kyler if he plays mediocre AFTER you build the team up.

I used to think “Get the QB at ALL costs” but nah, even if you draft Caleb/Drake/Jayden & they hit, there’s still only so much “elevating” they can do. They might turn a bad team into a competent team, but now you’re not in position to get a really good draft pick nor you’re not a serious playoff contender. Just look at the Chargers with Herbert for example. If Burrow doesn’t get his ACL torn, the Bengals don’t draft Ja’Marr(nor continue to build) & they most likely end up similar to the Chargers. I fear Stroud & Houston could end up similarity as well.

This is the only way I see.

I've seen enough of Kyler to know he's not it. He can't throw with anticipation. He's often late. He can't throw guys open by positioning the ball where only they can get it. Guys need to get wide ass open for him to hit them. He has his moments, either by luck or temporary reprieve, but he's just never going to be able to do the things that good QB's need to be able to do.

He softens the blow a little with his ability to run and his ability to sometimes avoid sacks and turn lemons into lemonade like in the Falcons game. But a QB that can't play within the system and can't do the basics required to be a consistent passer is not a guy that's going to win you anything.

The only way I see forward is something like what the Eagles did. Build a good team around a middling QB, then move on for a rookie and insert that rookie into a good situation. We may well be good enough to win games and make the playoffs at which point bad QB play will let us down.

The obvious issue is that you either need to get lucky with a later round QB or you have to trade a bunch of capitol to move up. But I don't see any other way. Suck it up, build the roster and move on in a year or two.

The only hope is Kyler works his ass off in the offseason and spends time with a QB coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Falcons should've have been trading the farm for a QB this year. It's hilarious watching Allgeier having games where he gets more carries than Robinson.

Arthur Smith is a garbage HC and it's always been obvious he's a garbage HC. That's really the crux of the Falcons issues.

Which is funny because he's also a buddy of Gannons. That two getting fired this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Drake way more than you, but yea, exactly this. Continue to build up with Kyler on the roster. If he’s not where he needs to be with a surplus of talent then yea move him.

Drake to only McBride/Wilson could be a cute thing in the regular season, but that won’t get it done in the playoffs.

Yeah I don't get the Maye slander. I think he's going to be the best QB in this class and a very good NFL starter.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes this 100%. I don't think it is even a hard decision anymore. If you look at the TEAM we have gone 2-3 since Kyler has returned. Today we scored 29 points, almost double the season average of points allowed by the Niners. Number 1 defense in total and points allowed. It hasn't been perfect by a long shot. But we are more competitive and Kyler appears to be working his ass off. If he wasn't and had a crap attitude? Then yeah, hit the bricks.

It would be malpractice to put any of these rookies out there next year. After next year? IDK. But we should have a much better WR room for them to work with. If QB has become then clear weak link of the team. Right now? There is no way QB is the biggest problem. Not from where I sit.
I don't care how hard he's working. We can't have a QB as boneheadaed as Kyler was today. That said, I have no answers, as I don't like any QBs who will be available where we pick.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes this 100%. I don't think it is even a hard decision anymore. If you look at the TEAM we have gone 2-3 since Kyler has returned. Today we scored 29 points, almost double the season average of points allowed by the Niners. Number 1 defense in total and points allowed. It hasn't been perfect by a long shot. But we are more competitive and Kyler appears to be working his ass off. If he wasn't and had a crap attitude? Then yeah, hit the bricks.

It would be malpractice to put any of these rookies out there next year. After next year? IDK. But we should have a much better WR room for them to work with. If QB has become then clear weak link of the team. Right now? There is no way QB is the biggest problem. Not from where I sit.
Realistically we scored 36 but 29 on offense

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
11 of the Card's points were from Pratter's foot. Card's last touchdown in the 4th was against the 3rd unit of 49er's left in the game.
I didn't see much from the Card's offense to get encouraged about. On the defensive side,,,,, *Purdy and **McCaffrey tore us a new azz.

* Purdy > 242 yds, 4 TDs, QBR 149.1
** McCaff > 115 rushing, 72 receiving

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Here is my concern if we build around Murray we need to luck into a QB prospect because we will be drafting mid first round. I think I would rather just upgrade the O-Line in later picks this year and FA and draft Maye. We need to take the chance that he’s the next Justin Herbert which is his NFL comp(also have seen Carson Palmer). The things we know for a fact Kyler is not the guy and his contract will restrict us for many years in upgrading the other areas of need. Just take the hit in 2024 which is offset by a rookie contract and move on.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my concern if we build around Murray we need to luck into a QB prospect because we will be drafting mid first round. I think I would rather just upgrade the O-Line in later picks this year and FA and draft Maye. We need to take the chance that he’s the next Justin Herbert which is his NFL comp(also have seen Carson Palmer). The things we know for a fact Kyler is not the guy and his contract will restrict us for many years in upgrading the other areas of need. Just take the hit in 2024 which is offset by a rookie contract and move on.
Herbert Lite. Same flavor, without all the TDs and wins (in the NFL).

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Herbert Lite. Same flavor, without all the TDs and wins (in the NFL).
Herbie has made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years, holds a 30-32 record and 0-1 in the playoffs… and this is a team that spent money and draft capitol to build around him. His box score stats are phenomenal, but maybe he’s just that a box score hero. Seems to struggle to close out games w a few exceptions (KC vs Chargers game a few years back was phenomenal).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herbie has made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years, holds a 30-32 record and 0-1 in the playoffs… and this is a team that spent money and draft capitol to build around him. His box score stats are phenomenal, but maybe he’s just that a box score hero. Seems to struggle to close out games w a few exceptions (KC vs Chargers game a few years back was phenomenal).
Which is exactly how you could describe Maye vs his best opponents in his college career, especially this season. And no, North Carolina is not some dumpster fire program that didn't have good quality to support him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to take the chance that he’s the next Justin Herbert which is his NFL comp(also have seen Carson Palmer). The things we know for a fact Kyler is not the guy and his contract will restrict us for many years in upgrading the other areas of need. Just take the hit in 2024 which is offset by a rookie contract and move on.
This post is so funny because Justin Herbert doesn’t have a playoff win either. Is he the reason the Chargers haven’t won a playoff game with him? No, but this just goes back to my point earlier of needing to build the roster before drafting the QB. Herbert being great is cool, but him being too great pretty much made them impossible to draft high for a fantastic pick while also not a be real playoff contender because the supporting cast is still rather mediocre.

Unless Monti had 2-3 2017 generational Saints’ esque drafts in a row, keep Kyler. Continue to add talent, then let him go if he’s not where he needs to be.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This post is so funny because Justin Herbert doesn’t have a playoff win either. Is he the reason the Chargers haven’t won a playoff game with him? No, but this just goes back to my point earlier of needing to build the roster before drafting the QB. Herbert being great is cool, but him being too great pretty much made them impossible to draft high for a fantastic pick while also not a be real playoff contender because the supporting cast is still rather mediocre.

Unless Monti had 2-3 2017 generational Saints’ esque drafts in a row, keep Kyler. Continue to add talent, then let him go if he’s not where he needs to be.
This is the path of the Zimmer Vikings.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes. After today, I'm sure we'll be right where we are now at this time next year.
Time will tell, but I really don’t believe that will be the case. I found the discussions of what the Niners have done in regards to building a winning culture since the arrival of Shanahan to very much coincide with what MOJG have said all along. The question is whether they can actually pull it off. Shanahan’s first couple seasons were ugly as hell. If your point is that it’ll take more than one season to actually flip the switch entirely, then I won’t disagree with you. But, I do expect to see improvement from this year to next. In addition to bolstering even the strongest units on this team, there are areas like the DL & WR rooms that have to be totally rebuilt. This season was strictly an evaluation of what was currently on the roster. The real changes start in 2024. After watching this team bandaid their way for 60 years, I’m personally fine with all of this.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hang on to Kyler and build the team. If Kyler doesn’t work out then pick up a washed out QB like Warner or Palmer.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
S/o to the Chiefs/Ravens/Eagles/49ers.
Two things:

1) I actually agree with this strategy. I think that Kyler Murray is good enough that odds are pretty low that in any draft, even with the #1 pick, you'll get a prospect better than him. So you continue to build around him. That's easier if your QB's contract isn't nearly possible to get out from, but that's a sunk cost at this point.

2) So you either have to have a generational offensive-minded head coach (Reid/Shanahan) or the one of best GMs of their generation (Roseman/DeCosta)? It really feels like 48 hours ago you'd be saying that the Ravens were in purgatory.

It's really hard to take this model seriously when teams like New England, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland, Tampa, Tennessee, and Washington have walked this road to nowheresville. Even Jalen Hurts was considered an unserious QB prospect until two years ago.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He’s just not accurate anymore. I honestly don’t know when/why it happened but he doesn’t hit guys in the numbers anymore and even in his rookie year the kid threw dimes. Combined that with timid running and he’s not a good quarterback.

The whole study habits thing was always stupid clickbait. Kyler hasn’t physically been there for a couple years now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn