Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
In my opinion, Murray plays scared. He gets happy feet in the pocket. He feels pressure that isn't there, and stares at the pass rush instead of keeping his eyes up field. Any pressure at all and his mechanics fall apart causing him to misfire even the easiest of throws.

He definitely doesn’t project strength or standing talk in the pocket, by any means.

Scary part is the three games he’s played in looked like the cushiest part of the entire season schedule, which is probably why he was held out so long to give him the best chance to get his feet under him.

Sadly, it’s been a sliding scale down in three games and I’m betting next week on the road against a very good defense is going to be a disaster of biblical proportions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No, the reason he looks no better than Dobbs in the Cardinals offense is because they don’t have a good Oline or receivers. That’s why Dobbs is winning games in Minnesota.
Dobbs is winning with backups everywhere in Minnesota.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He definitely doesn’t project strength or standing talk in the pocket, by any means.

Scary part is the three games he’s played in looked like the cushiest part of the entire season schedule, which is probably why he was held out so long to give him the best chance to get his feet under him.

Sadly, it’s been a sliding scale down in three games and I’m betting next week on the road against a very good defense is going to be a disaster of biblical proportions.
The Steelers are statistically one of the worst defenses in the league, they are a lot worse than the Rams defense. That said, our defense without Kyzir White is pathetic so disaster is still guaranteed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Steelers are statistically one of the worst defenses in the league, they are a lot worse than the Rams defense. That said, our defense without Kyzir White is pathetic so disaster is still guaranteed.
Yes… statistically one of the worst defenses in the league… you know, except they're ranked FIFTH in points allowed per game at 18.6.

But other than keeping teams from scoring they’re one of the worst in football!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And admittedly I only watched the first half so let me couch that if he somehow looked better in the 2nd half blow out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And admittedly I only watched the first half so let me couch that if he somehow looked better in the 2nd half blow out.
He didn’t until major garbage time.

I think the stat I heard was the first drive was 12 plays, 75 yards for a TD.

The next EIGHT drives totaled 52 yards. TOTAL. EIGHT DRIVES. 52 YARDS.

Then he made his stats look pretty once we were down 37-8 with five minutes left in the game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He didn’t until major garbage time.

I think the stat I heard was the first drive was 12 plays, 75 yards for a TD.

The next EIGHT drives totaled 52 yards. TOTAL. EIGHT DRIVES. 52 YARDS.

Then he made his stats look pretty once we were down 37-8 with five minutes left in the game.
Kyler Cousins

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
"All Kyler needs is a really good offensive line and really good receivers"

While that certainly would be a good thing, it wouldn't fix the bad decision making, struggles reading defenses, and very poor accuracy(particularly on throws 20+ yards).

Kyler isn't A rookie but a 5th year player who proclaimed two years ago that Bidwill needed to write him a massive check because he is a top 5 QB in the league.

The offense being led by the 250 million dollar 5th year QB looks no more impressive(and worse at times) than it did when a career journeyman backup QB was running it.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The above implies Kyler needs a Pro-Bowl level team to be evaluated.

When you’re laid 50 million per season, you’re supposed to elevate the talent around you, not need that to be the other way around.
None of those positions needs to be ”pro-bowl level” talent. They need to be starting NFL caliber talent. Dobbs looked like trash here and he’s on the Vikings winning games. World of difference.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People really think Kyler can start winning with one maybe two adequate receivers and a banged up o-line.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
People really think Kyler can start winning with one maybe two adequate receivers and a banged up o-line.

I don't expect Kyler has to win a bunch of games. Seeing our "franchise" QB have much better accuracy and occasionally leading the offense to scoring more than 20 points in a game would be a good start.

The talent is not good obviously, but it is decent enough that our 250 million dollar QB shouldn't go multiple quarters barely moving the offense. Especially against other bad teams like the Rams.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't expect Kyler has to win a bunch of games. Seeing our "franchise" QB have much better accuracy and occasionally leading the offense to scoring more than 20 points in a game would be a good start.

The talent is not good obviously, but it is decent enough that our 250 million dollar QB shouldn't go multiple quarters barely moving the offense. Especially against other bad teams like the Rams.
He also didnt have a training camp either. Dobbs had a training camp in Cleveland to get him acclimated to the game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It’s not his fault. But I’m a Cardinals fan, not a Kyler Murray fan. Kyler certainly seems a lot more like Davis Mills than CJ Stroud in this one.

Dobbs had the Cards leading the Rams 9-6 at halftime at SoFi. OOF.

Some of the ducks Kyler is throwing out there are inexplicable. The deep ball to Hollywood was basically end-over-end.

Kyler is probably broken. He’s not a rhythm passer, and I don’t think he’s that interested in becoming one.
This. I think the only people hard-core defending Kyler against any criticism are Kyler fans. At best, his performance has been troubling.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KM had one pass play where he dropped back looked to the sidelines where the coaching staff was and then threw sideways to the other side of the field for a loss

He hung his head for a moment and looked at the grass

Frustration?

If so with what?

Himself, the coaching staff?

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see that the Cards are getting 2+ million per game worth out from their franchise QB. If and when an offer comes for him, strongly consider eating a bunch of cash to let go

You must be registered for see images attach

IMO, overall, Dobbs looked better and made better decisions. Hoping that I'm totally wrong.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KM had one pass play where he dropped back looked to the sidelines where the coaching staff was and then threw sideways to the other side of the field for a loss

He hung his head for a moment and looked at the grass

Frustration?

If so with what?

Himself, the coaching staff?
If it’s the coaching staff he won’t be back next year. Not going to fly a second time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pointless thread.

A bunch of people are going to say he looks washed or should be moved on and in a week or 2 when he has a great game will say the complete opposite.

He's had no pre season and played a total of about 180 snaps in this offense. He's also playing with a defense that was weak to start the year and has 4 starters on IR that had them behind the whole game. Which messes up the game plan and made if have to throw more than anyone would like.

He was poor, no doubt, and there is much missing I wanted to see. Decision making, reading defense, timing, ball placement...all sub par.

But I'm tired of this same old argument we had for the last 3 years. I think it's about 5% chance he goes anywhere. I just don't see any way Bidwill eats all that cash and we eat all the cap space we need to rebuild. In fact, I would not be surprised to see JG put this to bed before year end and state unequivocally that he's not going.

More likely they put him on an offseason program of coaching, get a preseason in this offense, get some more weapons and roll with him next year. After which it gets progressively less painful to move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd