Is Boldin really being truthful in his demands.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
The odd thing is that this all came about after the Cards signed Fitz to a huge contract. Could the underlying factor in this be that Boldin is more concerned about about losing his stature on this team. I can't imagine anyone saying that Boldin is the best player on the team anymore with the development of Fitz. Maybe the money is just a way of assuring an insecure Boldin that he is still a top dog here. On the same tier as Fitz. Could that be the reason for the hurt feelings when no team offered up what we know Fitz would have every team in the league lining up to give. Hell, Roy Williams drew more in a trade than Boldin.

How many years was Boldin the MVP of the team and the fans? This was his team. Just maybe, now that it's no longer his team, he wants to take the ball, go home and cry for his mommy Rosenass to make him the favorite again. The Eagles song, "New Kid In Town", should be playing as a backdrop to all of this. He's often called himself a "grownass man". Maybe he shouldn't include grown as a part of that description anymore.

I'm done with him. Let his "agent" work out a trade that suits all. If he can't then it won't be the fault of the Cardinals.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The odd thing is that this all came about after the Cards signed Fitz to a huge contract. Could the underlying factor in this be that Boldin is more concerned about about losing his stature on this team. I can't imagine anyone saying that Boldin is the best player on the team anymore with the development of Fitz. Maybe the money is just a way of assuring an insecure Boldin that he is still a top dog here. On the same tier as Fitz. Could that be the reason for the hurt feelings when no team offered up what we know Fitz would have every team in the league lining up to give. Hell, Roy Williams drew more in a trade than Boldin.

How many years was Boldin the MVP of the team and the fans? This was his team. Just maybe, now that it's no longer his team, he wants to take the ball, go home and cry for his mommy Rosenass to make him the favorite again. The Eagles song, "New Kid In Town", should be playing as a backdrop to all of this. He's often called himself a "grownass man". Maybe he shouldn't include grown as a part of that description anymore.

I'm done with him. Let his "agent" work out a trade that suits all. If he can't then it won't be the fault of the Cardinals.

How about Boldin was the MVP of the team and the fans and the Cards promised him a big reward and didn't come through? I'd be ticked too. Heck the Cards owe him a % of the franchise just for what he did in 2003.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How about Boldin was the MVP of the team and the fans and the Cards promised him a big reward and didn't come through? I'd be ticked too. Heck the Cards owe him a % of the franchise just for what he did in 2003.

Or, how about the team approached Boldin with a new offer (or at least tried to enter talks about one), which Boldin refused, wishing to wait until after the Fitz deal. Which, moronically for him, of course took up all the space so he couldn't get his.

Boldin needs to stop crying about the promise. In my view, the Cards at least made an effort, but in a greedy yet stupid tactic to try and get more, Boldin and Rosenhaus screwed it up. Oh well. Life sucks, especially when you make it harder on yourself. Get a frickin' helmet.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Or, how about the team approached Boldin with a new offer (or at least tried to enter talks about one), which Boldin refused, wishing to wait until after the Fitz deal. Which, moronically for him, of course took up all the space so he couldn't get his.

Boldin needs to stop crying about the promise. In my view, the Cards at least made an effort, but in a greedy yet stupid tactic to try and get more, Boldin and Rosenhaus screwed it up. Oh well. Life sucks, especially when you make it harder on yourself. Get a frickin' helmet.

Come on you know the Cards better than that. I need a lot more than one year to believe that outfit has changed their ways.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BOGUS! The Cards approached him about a new contract offering a completely bush league and insulting offer. Which many of you completely fail to recognize of course. Many of you also completely fail to recognize or admit that the Cards made the FIRST offer. Which in and of itself was a huge mistake! Because they did it only further backs Q's comments that promises were made to him. Promises that have yet to be kept.

Its not his fault the team(graves) made promises they couldnt live up to. Nor is it his fault that the team when trying to live up to that promise did it in a piss azzed way that insulted him.

Fitz's contract is irrelevant to the situation. They dont go hand in hand. Thats like saying that if Q got a fair offer from the team to boost his salary (even though he didnt) and he took it that we would have no longer had the $$$ to give Fitz that monster deal. You can't have it both ways stout.

Q was the torch and soul that carried this team for quite some time. He is the sole reason a guy like Edge even considered coming here before $$$ was discussed.

I dont deny that Q is acting like an azz right now. HE MOST CERTAINLY IS! But at least in all of this he has some valid reason to. DD has no excuses whatsoever!

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual details of the "negotiations" that took place before Boldin decided to wait and see what Fitz got? From everything that I've gathered from these types of threads the Cardinals re-negotiated his rookie contract and gave him more money, he wanted more so they made him an offer that was apparently bush-league and he decided to just wait to see what Fitz got.

If this is the case, then I just can't side with Boldin. First, he signed two different contracts already. It shouldn't be the Cardinals responsibility to make sure he's getting the deal that he'll forever be happy with. Second, whether the team's offer was bush-league or not, if it wasn't a "take it or leave it" offer, why didn't Boldin negotiate? Fitz did it and got what he wanted. James got what he wanted. Warner too. I doubt any of their deals were the first offer the Cardinals put on the table.

Ultimately, Boldin has screwed the pooch on this one and he's going to have to be patient now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual details of the "negotiations" that took place before Boldin decided to wait and see what Fitz got? From everything that I've gathered from these types of threads the Cardinals re-negotiated his rookie contract and gave him more money, he wanted more so they made him an offer that was apparently bush-league and he decided to just wait to see what Fitz got.

If this is the case, then I just can't side with Boldin. First, he signed two different contracts already. It shouldn't be the Cardinals responsibility to make sure he's getting the deal that he'll forever be happy with. Second, whether the team's offer was bush-league or not, if it wasn't a "take it or leave it" offer, why didn't Boldin negotiate? Fitz did it and got what he wanted. James got what he wanted. Warner too. I doubt any of their deals were the first offer the Cardinals put on the table.

Ultimately, Boldin has screwed the pooch on this one and he's going to have to be patient now.

Thank you, Moklerman. You wrote the reply I was thinking. Negotiating is a better ploy than, oh, I don't know, breaking off negotiations like a whiny little teenager.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Q was the torch and soul that carried this team for quite some time. He is the sole reason a guy like Edge even considered coming here before $$$ was discussed.

Shane, I agree with you on most topics, but this argument from several posters here really gets me going.

Last year was magic, everything just came together finally.
But how is Q the magic soul that carried this team prior to last year, and what does that even mean?

Up until Whis got here, What was it that Q carried us to, besides the same crappy sub .500 ball we've had since coming to AZ?

Did Q have a big part in last season? I would say yes, but I don't think Q had anything to do with us getting Fitz, Whis and Warner etc...

I won't take anything away from what Boldin has done on a field here, but I also can't see how he is the catalyst for turning this franchise around either.
I think the turnaround got some steam when the Cards finally hired a Head Coach that didn't have his head up his ass.

Last edited:

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

I don't know if it was bush-league. Boldin wanted guarantees or money upfront while the Cardinals balked at this because they had just given him 10 million upfront just two years previously when they renegotiated his rookie contract.

I kind of understand the Cards position on this. We are willing to give you more per year but we are not going to give you more money upfront or no new big guarantees.

Boldin took offense at this.

I think he screwed the pooch. He could have negotiated a new contract without the upfront money or guarantees and got one heck of a raise last year. Now every year he plays at a rate less than what he would have gotten if he'd taken a deal without the upfront cash is money he can never recover.

I don't pretend to know what the Cards offered but if it was 6 million per year with no upfront money that makes 3.25 million less salary in 2008 than what he could have gotten. It looks like he will suffer the same fate in 2009 and possibly 2010 too.

I'm not saying he doesn't have some gripes but he is now in the position of cutting off his nose to spite his face. The petulant child routine hasn't worked and doesn't look like it's going to work. He will still be playing for the Cardinals for the same contact he had before the oubursts and the threats.

Ask yourself what he would have been better off doing?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
BOGUS! The Cards approached him about a new contract offering a completely bush league and insulting offer. Which many of you completely fail to recognize of course. Many of you also completely fail to recognize or admit that the Cards made the FIRST offer. Which in and of itself was a huge mistake! Because they did it only further backs Q's comments that promises were made to him. Promises that have yet to be kept.

Its not his fault the team(graves) made promises they couldnt live up to. Nor is it his fault that the team when trying to live up to that promise did it in a piss azzed way that insulted him.

Anybody have a link to this offer. Just because Q said it was bush league doesn't make it so. I am sure he values himself higher then the man siging the checks or RG. So what Q considers bush league the rest of the NFL might call fair.

It's also not the teams fault the Q refused to negotiate. It takes two to tango, and if Q isn't in the mood to dance what can the cards do?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anybody have a link to this offer. Just because Q said it was bush league doesn't make it so. I am sure he values himself higher then the man siging the checks or RG. So what Q considers bush league the rest of the NFL might call fair.

It's also not the teams fault the Q refused to negotiate. It takes two to tango, and if Q isn't in the mood to dance what can the cards do?

You can find it if you choose to look. The CArds stated outright that they offered to up his salary by 4 million per season. With ZERO bonus $$$ and no guarantees. Thus = Bush League!

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
You can find it if you choose to look. The CArds stated outright that they offered to up his salary by 4 million per season. With ZERO bonus $$$ and no guarantees. Thus = Bush League!

Only 4 additional million per season, that would have put him near $7 mil / year; he would have already earned $8 million more (assuming the Cards don't cut him, LOL!) by the end of this 2009.

$8 million that isn't coming back...I would sulk, too. Hell, I would be on suicide watch if I just pooched $8 mil...but then I am just an average guy and obviously don't understand Q's position that by saying no he will come out ahead...

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score

4 million EXTRA per year? Did this involve extra years at the end? I'm not sure how that could even be considered a bad deal. The only thing it does is increase his cap hit and thus increase the chances he gets cut if he starts to underperform. If that happens, then he can go elsewhere and collect more guaranteed money.

I don't understand how more than doubling someone's current unguaranteed salary is bush league.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, hehe, if that was indeed what the Card's offered, its far from Bush league. They essentially offered to more than double his salary, and not require him to lengthen his contract. I'd be pissed at myself and try to pass the buck as well.

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Did he not just get a bonus the year befor why would they do that again. Some guarantees would have been the right thing to do but not a bonus again. It's not like it was the end of hes deal come on.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, hehe, if that was indeed what the Card's offered, its far from Bush league. They essentially offered to more than double his salary, and not require him to lengthen his contract. I'd be pissed at myself and try to pass the buck as well.

Always remember that salary is not guaranteed. In the NFL it is all about the guaranteed money aka signing bonuses.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If that was the offer, I wish I was in a position to be bush-leagued like that.

This is what happened:

Boldin was offered a contract, he broke off talks foolishly, every FO starts low and the other party starts high and eventually meet half way but he stopped it to see what Fitz would get, Fitz got the mega contract and then did something most professional athletes do not do after getting paid...he exploded and had a season which Boldin could never match and hence never give Boldin and his agent any weight in asking for similar money

Boldin dropped the ball off the field, and needs to just shut his trap and let the air clear because frankly Q and his agent took a gamble waiting for Fitz's contract and then wait for Fitz to have a dream season which made his contract worth it...Boldin and Drew are looking plain stupid right now and all the complaining is adding injury to insult all due to their own blunders

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he not just get a bonus the year befor why would they do that again. Some guarantees would have been the right thing to do but not a bonus again. It's not like it was the end of hes deal come on.

Where are you guys getting your figures from? Boldin resigned an extension after year 2 of 1st contract IIRC in July 05.

That would be end of 04... He played 05, 06, and 07 season under NEW contract. Didnt start bickering until Off season prior to 08.... So NO they didnt just do that the year before. That would be playing 3 seasons under the new contract!

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TOTAL Bush League! If you dont think so you dont know the NFL very well. Guaranteed money is all that matters. Leaves Q hanging with no protection whatsoever.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
TOTAL Bush League! If you dont think so you dont know the NFL very well. Guaranteed money is all that matters. Leaves Q hanging with no protection whatsoever.

Then tell me why he stopped negotiating?

He thought that he would get what Fitz got but the Cards either didn't have the money or didn't want to pay that kind of money to 10-12 game a year player.

This doen't mean he doesn't deserve more money, but his actions since havn't been well received by the fans and probably the front office.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then tell me why he stopped negotiating?

He thought that he would get what Fitz got but the Cards either didn't have the money or didn't want to pay that kind of money to 10-12 game a year player.

This doen't mean he doesn't deserve more money, but his actions since havn't been well received by the fans and probably the front office.

He stopped negotiating because that offer was a complete insult! Plain and simple.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
He stopped negotiating because that offer was a complete insult! Plain and simple.

Ouch! I think I just pulled a hammy trying to twist my head far enough around to visualize a situation where I could be insulted by my boss offering to double my annual pay.
Guess that's why the pro athletes get paid so much.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Shane - do you have anything in writing - any proof that this was indeed the situation? Not saying it wasn't the case, but I just haven't seen any objective reporting of this situation, only you ranting and ranting (and Q of course...), that Boldin was treated like a second-class citizen. Do you have any confirmed reports that nobody else seems to have?

:shrug:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I have been saying from the beginning.

This has little to do with money and more to do with respect, ego, and legacy. Even if they offered him the same deal as Larry I don't think he would take it.

He wants be THE guy. And thats just not going to happen with Larry here.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane - do you have anything in writing - any proof that this was indeed the situation? Not saying it wasn't the case, but I just haven't seen any objective reporting of this situation, only you ranting and ranting (and Q of course...), that Boldin was treated like a second-class citizen. Do you have any confirmed reports that nobody else seems to have?

:shrug:

Nope just what was written in the papers and on Internet for all to see.