IPods or something else?

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Still mulling this and had one more question. The Ipod website says you can basically transfer music from CDs into the Ipod. Is this there a per item charge for this?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:
Still mulling this and had one more question. The Ipod website says you can basically transfer music from CDs into the Ipod. Is this there a per item charge for this?
Why do you think there would be a charge for that? You own the CD. There is only a charge if you download from an online store (excluding subscription based services). Here are a list of questions you need to answer before you order:
1) How many songs will your son want to store
2) Which of the following options describes how he will want to use the device?
a) Only copy music from CDs that he owns (free) or illegal downloads (free)
b) Copy music from CDs he owns (free) and purchase individual songs from a service ($.99 per song)
c) Copy music from CDs he owns (free) and from unlimited downloads from a subscription service (roughly 14.99 per month). The downloads from a subscription service are invalid after you stop paying.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:

Honestly, transferring music from a cd to itunes is really easy. All you have to do is open itunes, put in the cd in your disk drive thingy, then it automatically shows up on itunes. in the top right hand corner click on "import" and then it will import those songs onto itunes. once you son has his ipod, plug it in to the computer, and it will automatically place those songs from his itunes to his ipod.

all of that is free. :)

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
nm132 said:
Why do you think there would be a charge for that? You own the CD. There is only a charge if you download from an online store (excluding subscription based services). Here are a list of questions you need to answer before you order:
1) How many songs will your son want to store
2) Which of the following options describes how he will want to use the device?
a) Only copy music from CDs that he owns (free) or illegal downloads (free)
b) Copy music from CDs he owns (free) and purchase individual songs from a service ($.99 per song)
c) Copy music from CDs he owns (free) and from unlimited downloads from a subscription service (roughly 14.99 per month). The downloads from a subscription service are invalid after you stop paying.

Thanks nm. I didn't think we'd have to pay, but just wanted to make sure. Not sure how this works and where they try to ding you, so thanks for all the info!!

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Honestly, transferring music from a cd to itunes is really easy. All you have to do is open itunes, put in the cd in your disk drive thingy, then it automatically shows up on itunes. in the top right hand corner click on "import" and then it will import those songs onto itunes. once you son has his ipod, plug it in to the computer, and it will automatically place those songs from his itunes to his ipod.

all of that is free. :)

Awesome thanks! This is starting to sound like the way to go since we have a bunch of CD's already.

Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:

heres the charges you will encounter.

Ipod
Ipod Charger you will want to buy a plug into the wall one

Thats it

If you download music you need to pay the 99 cents a song

and to transfer a CD to a iPod all you do is put it in your CD drive, open iTunes and it will copy the CD over to your libary, then you just update your iPod and its on it...

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
nm132 said:
There is also a way to convert the files you get when you buy something on itunes to .mp3 which is more easily backed up (or shared).

Can you convert CD's to mp3?

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Does Windows Media Player do that or do you need something else?

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Windows media player does it, as well as others, I tunes and the other software that comes with most MP3 players...

There are also a ton of free ware that will also... Most CD writtable drives also come with Nero or Roxio that will also rip CD to MP3...

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had to say that I am VERY impressed with Apple's customer service!!!!!!! On Tuesday, June 6, I accidently dropped my iPod (like I've sadly done many times before) only this time, it just stopped working. I went through all the troublshooting and such, no luck. So that night, I submitted a repair order online. The next morning, I got an email saying that an empty box was shipped to me with a pre-paid label to send the iPod back to them for repair. 24 hours later, empty box was on my doorstep. I wrapped up the iPod in the water-proof plastic sleeve, put it in the perfectly iPod mini formed foam, taped the box with the included packing tape, and requested DHL to pick up the box (yes, using DHL was the only part of it all I didn't like as a 13 year UPSer's wife). The next day, DHL picked up the box. 24 hours later, I got an email from Apple saying they've recieved my iPod and they were working on the repair. 12 hours later, I received an email saying that a brand new iPod was being shipped to me as a replacement. 24 hours later, I had a shiny new iPod mini, ready to hook up to my PC and load all my songs on. All this only cost me $32. :thumbup:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CQ said:
I just had to say that I am VERY impressed with Apple's customer service!!!!!!! On Tuesday, June 6, I accidently dropped my iPod (like I've sadly done many times before) only this time, it just stopped working. I went through all the troublshooting and such, no luck. So that night, I submitted a repair order online. The next morning, I got an email saying that an empty box was shipped to me with a pre-paid label to send the iPod back to them for repair. 24 hours later, empty box was on my doorstep. I wrapped up the iPod in the water-proof plastic sleeve, put it in the perfectly iPod mini formed foam, taped the box with the included packing tape, and requested DHL to pick up the box (yes, using DHL was the only part of it all I didn't like as a 13 year UPSer's wife). The next day, DHL picked up the box. 24 hours later, I got an email from Apple saying they've recieved my iPod and they were working on the repair. 12 hours later, I received an email saying that a brand new iPod was being shipped to me as a replacement. 24 hours later, I had a shiny new iPod mini, ready to hook up to my PC and load all my songs on. All this only cost me $32. :thumbup:

Wow - that is pretty cool.

I've dropped mine a few times, but I do have a protective plastic case (fromt agent18.com) on it. After one particular bad drop, the screen froze. I couldn't do anything to it, so I just let it run out of batteries. After I re-charged it, it came back and everything was fine.

Tough little suckers they are!

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Wow - that is pretty cool.

I've dropped mine a few times, but I do have a protective plastic case (fromt agent18.com) on it. After one particular bad drop, the screen froze. I couldn't do anything to it, so I just let it run out of batteries. After I re-charged it, it came back and everything was fine.

Tough little suckers they are!

Yeah, I've had to do that a few times also. This time, it wouldn't even connect to my computer at all. Apparently it was bad enough that they didn't even bother fixing it, lol. Anyhow, yes, they are tough little suckers for sure! But when they break, they break for good!

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a recent survey of college students, Ipods were listed as the most important thing to have, taking the #1 spot away from beer for the first time in about 20 years. I would look up a related article but I'm too lazy to google it.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
In a recent survey of college students, Ipods were listed as the most important thing to have, taking the #1 spot away from beer for the first time in about 20 years. I would look up a related article but I'm too lazy to google it.
I read that same article.

I was in the anti-ipod movement for a while, but then christmas '05 hit and it was like I didn't even know myself anymore.

I-pods are just... awesome. They were they for me when I wanted to work out, study, drive in the car, etc.

I heart the i-pod

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I read that same article.

I was in the anti-ipod movement for a while, but then christmas '05 hit and it was like I didn't even know myself anymore.

I-pods are just... awesome. They were they for me when I wanted to work out, study, drive in the car, etc.

I heart the i-pod

:stupid:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Creative Zen mp3 player which is way cooler than a stupid Ipod. (because I say so, in case anyone was wondering)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
I have a Creative Zen mp3 player which is way cooler than a stupid Ipod. (because I say so, in case anyone was wondering)

I still heart my iRiver :D

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Assface said:

same here (one of the older ones)

:raccoon:

supposedly the new Toshiba player is supposed to be pretty good

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Assface said:
:iwa:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Assface said:
:iwa:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
same here (one of the older ones)

:raccoon:

supposedly the new Toshiba player is supposed to be pretty good
Ive been looking at a 40 gig Toshiba player for about $200 (ie: way better value than an Ipod), but I havent really heard anything about its performance or reliability, which kind of concerns me.