Inside Out (Pixar)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pixar Reveals Plot Details of ‘Inside Out’

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/inside-out-plot-details-pixar-1201192931/

Until now, plot details of Pixar’s next film “Inside Out” have been kept under wraps. But on Monday, the studio released the synopsis of the Pete Docter-directed movie, which features a star-studded cast as the emotions.

As written on Pixar’s official website, the movie will focus on five emotions — Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Joy (Amy Poehler), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith) — competing for control in the mind of a young girl named Riley.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excited for a new original from Pixar after a slew of sequels lately. And a story taking place inside human consciousness should make for some serious eye candy.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could imagine a better role for Lewis Black than anger.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want another great PIXAR movie. I don't care if it's a sequel or original. This type of story has potential for sure. Could go in so many directions.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's going to be good but my wife and kids for the first time are ...eh!? They love Pixar films but for some reason none of them are excited about it. I think maybe it's just the concept that is a hard sell.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inside Out

Release Date: June 19, 2015
Studio: Disney•Pixar
Directors: Pete Docter, Ronaldo Del Carmen
MPAA Rating: PG (for mild thematic elements and some action)
Screenwriters: Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley
Genre: Animation

Starring: Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Lewis Black, Mindy Kaling, Phyllis Smith, Diane Lane, Kyle MacLachlan

Plot Summary: From the tepuis of South America to a monster-filled metropolis, Academy Award®-winning director Pete Docter has taken audiences to unique and imaginative places. In 2015, he will take us to the most extraordinary location of all – inside the mind of an 11-year-old named Riley.

Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it’s no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions – Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley’s mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley’s main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.

You must be registered for see images

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought this was stellar. Bravo Pixar. What impressed me so much was the light touch this story had. There was a moral to the story, but it wasn't forced and they didn't beat kids over the head with it for 2 hours. It was subtle and nuanced and very well done. There was no typical disney; "You know, I learned something today..." moment where the whole movie is recapped and tied in a bow, they just let it all speak for itself.

My kids both loved it and they have pretty high animated movie standards and are not afraid to tell me they didn't like a film. Some very deep stuff here and they totally pulled it off in my opinion. Super funny as well.

I asked my older daughter (11) what she thought the moral of the movie was, I wont say it for spoilers sake but she hit it right on the head. Which tells me that Pixar did a good job.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
For some reason I always liked watching Herman's Head. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to use that idea. Based on what I've seen and read, I am really looking forward to seeing this soon.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason I always liked watching Herman's Head. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to use that idea. Based on what I've seen and read, I am really looking forward to seeing this soon.

I loved Herman's Head. The only negative thing I can think of about this Pixar film is their marketing. They constantly barrage you with "It's so unbelievably original !!" Every time I see a commercial for it, I think immediately of Herman's Head. To me, that makes it more of an homage to that show and not entirely original at all. I guess I'll have to see it in order to know for sure, but at this point I have to believe someone in the creation process of this film was influenced by that old TV show.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Even many of the reviewers seem to have no knowledge of Herman's Head.

Like this quote from a review: "The year is only half over but the sheer originality and soul in “Inside Out” easily puts it as one of 2015’s best films."

Or these: ?Pixar's latest 'Inside Out' trailer shows the studio doesn't lack the originality many feel it's losing".

"What’s the best thing about Pixar’s newest flick Inside Out? Is it-
A. Its original, imaginative story".

"Pixar’s “Inside Out” takes originality to a whole new level".

Inside Out has a rather complex and original concept, but that's honestly what we've really come to expect from Pixar's excellent, Academy Award-winning history".

I could go on and on. As I stated, I hear it is excellent and look forward to seeing it. Just leave the "original" part out of it.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Holy crap! I didn't even remember what Herman's Head was until I youtubed it. Wow, it's been a loooonnnggg time since I have seen this show!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Tough after one viewing to put this above Nemo which is my favorite of all Pixar flicks, but this was FANTASTIC. Easily in my top three with Nemo and Wall-E.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the family. I have to say I was a tad disappointed after reading the reviews. I thought this was going to be the best Pixar movie ever. To be honest, this film would have a tough time breaking my top 10....maybe.

First off, the animation, voice acting and even story was excellent. I have small nitpicks like they didn't nearly explore the imagination and the "world" nearly enough for me. The biggest issue? I was in a theater full of little kids (including my 3 year old) that lost interest in the movie 25 minutes in. That has NEVER happened to me in a PIXAR film.

One of my biggest praises with Pixar is their ability to balance the movie for the entire audience. The balance of this film was completely off IMO. My older two were clearly more engaged and I enjoyed it from an adult perspective. Smaller children clearly were not as engaged IMO from what I could see and based on my 3 year old which is usually glued to every Pixar film from start to finish.

It still was a very good movie and I would recommend but it didn't live up to the hype for me at least.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Took the family. I have to say I was a tad disappointed after reading the reviews. I thought this was going to be the best Pixar movie ever. To be honest, this film would have a tough time breaking my top 10....maybe.

First off, the animation, voice acting and even story was excellent. I have small nitpicks like they didn't nearly explore the imagination and the "world" nearly enough for me. The biggest issue? I was in a theater full of little kids (including my 3 year old) that lost interest in the movie 25 minutes in. That has NEVER happened to me in a PIXAR film.

One of my biggest praises with Pixar is their ability to balance the movie for the entire audience. The balance of this film was completely off IMO. My older two were clearly more engaged and I enjoyed it from an adult perspective. Smaller children clearly were not as engaged IMO from what I could see and based on my 3 year old which is usually glued to every Pixar film from start to finish.

It still was a very good movie and I would recommend but it didn't live up to the hype for me at least.

I agree. It was good but not better then several other pixar movies. I guess I had higher hopes for this movie and expected more. My family loved it, but I wasn't as moved.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because I watched it in the early 90's when it was called Herman's Head. Or maybe it was because the idiot woman sitting behind me kept making predictions about what would happen throughout the entire movie (ignoring constant shushing).

It was just okay for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still don't get the Herman's Head comparisons. Sure, it takes place in some person's head, but beyond that...

Inside Out was much, much smarter, and the voice acting in the movie was better than the ACTUAL acting in that show.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I still don't get the Herman's Head comparisons. Sure, it takes place in some person's head, but beyond that...

Inside Out was much, much smarter, and the voice acting in the movie was better than the ACTUAL acting in that show.

Yeah at most the concept was taken and built upon but that show was aweful.

This was way more thoughtfully developed and well done. I cant believe that people are letting the fact that this has a shared concept with a ridiculous 1 season run sitcom in the 90s RUIN the movie for them.

I mean maybe it's an honest mistake by all the critics calling it original because they are not one of the 10 people who actually saw that show. lol

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

I thought it was really similar. You have a person with different emotions played by different people.

Inside Out:

Joy
Disgust
Fear
Anger
Sadness

Herman's Head:

Sensitivity
Lust/Hunger
Anxiety
Intellect

Just like the characters in Inside Out, the various aspects of Herman's psyche vie for control of his mind and watch "films" of past events. In Herman's Head, they different elements can band together to form alliances to blend their elements.
The big reveal in Inside Out is Joy's realization that memories and the islands can be influenced by more than one emotion.
Pretty similar premise.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what everyone saw in this with the initial reviews. I saw it on Father's Day and thought it was above average as a movie, but far from competing for the "Greatest Pixar Movie" label.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Yeah at most the concept was taken and built upon but that show was aweful.

This was way more thoughtfully developed and well done. I cant believe that people are letting the fact that this has a shared concept with a ridiculous 1 season run sitcom in the 90s RUIN the movie for them.

I mean maybe it's an honest mistake by all the critics calling it original because they are not one of the 10 people who actually saw that show. lol

Um, it was three seasons and it was awesome. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard