Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm a huge Marvel Comics guy and what fueled my interest in an ongoing series was most likely this comic book series that I collected back in the day:

You must be registered for see images attach
Me too. I still have a box with a few titles in it. Used to have quite a collection but me and my sister, who carted them around every time she moved, decided to sell a few years ago. Got totally screwed but she was happy and so was I. Our collection was from the early/mid 60s to early 70s. Lots of enjoyment reading them through the years.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good. I hope it does horribly, losing hundreds of millions of dollars. It wasn't enough to destroy Luke Skywalker and Star Wars, Kathleen Kennedy had to destroy Indiana Jones and tarnish the movies.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he going to do a Han Solo and die?
It was going to be much worse.

Rumors coming out of production, confirmed by multiple sources, spilled it was originally shot that horrible white male Indiana Jones goes back in time to fix his horribleness and dies. Stunning and brave female Fleabag realizes the things he did had to be done to keep the timeline and goes back and does it herself. Of course, she does it better than Indy could have, and she become the de facto Indiana Jones thereby erasing a beloved hero because we can't have that.

It tested so so badly, they needed to do extensive reshoots to try to fix things, adding over $100M to the production. Apparently, that still isn't good enough.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is Crystal Skull esque, it’s going to be a massive bomb. Older Audiences are already leery of this after that Turkey and I’ve got to believe younger audiences could give a flying frack considering the last good movie in this series came out… 34 years ago!

And I’ll be bummed if it bombs hard enough to be out of theaters within a month. My parents who still won’t go to the movies or really any indoor space because of my Mom’s cancer and perma-chemo and I was hoping my brothers and I could rent out a theater for them again this summer like we did last winter, when they come out to Newport. They both said they wanted to see it last night watching basketball and even if it’s a Turkey, I know we would still have a lot of fun together at an Indiana Jones movie in a private screening again considering they never get to go to the movies anymore.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is Crystal Skull esque, it’s going to be a massive bomb. Older Audiences are already leery of this after that Turkey and I’ve got to believe younger audiences could give a flying frack considering the last good movie in this series came out… 34 years ago!
1. Geez! That's insane.
2. Damn, I'm old.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

And I’ll be bummed if it bombs hard enough to be out of theaters within a month. My parents who still won’t go to the movies or really any indoor space because of my Mom’s cancer and perma-chemo and I was hoping my brothers and I could rent out a theater for them again this summer like we did last winter, when they come out to Newport. They both said they wanted to see it last night watching basketball and even if it’s a Turkey, I know we would still have a lot of fun together at an Indiana Jones movie in a private screening again considering they never get to go to the movies anymore.
You can't do a private screening if it's out of theaters? I thought you could since I've done it with unreleased material. I did a tech proof of concept with a director about a decade ago and we did some testing in a theater.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't do a private screening if it's out of theaters? I thought you could since I've done it with unreleased material. I did a tech proof of concept with a director about a decade ago and we did some testing in a theater.
I’m not sure. I know it’s easier if the movie is still playing at the theater we did it last time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a massive fan of Raiders and The Last Crusade. They're 2 of my all time favorite films, I have watched each several times.

As a kid I didn't really like the Temple of Doom. On the advise of a few people I decided to give it another chance.

Upon a further review: Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom is an absolutely terrible film that I wish I had never seen... again.

I know one thing about the Dial of Destiny... it will not be the worst Indiana Jones film I've ever seen.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phrazbit, I respect you attempting Temple of Doom again and coming to the same conclusion. I hated it when I was younger but have come to appreciate it and can watch it. It's my least favorite movie, and Raiders is a near perfect film and Last Crusade is so great with Sean Connery and a fitting ending to the IP.

There are only 3 Indiana Jones movies. Crystal Skull was crap. But this movie coming out is going to make the Crystal Skull look like Godfather Part 2. Disney just can't help themselves in destroying beloved IP's and this is just the most recent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There are only 3 Indiana Jones movies. Crystal Skull was crap. But this movie coming out is going to make the Crystal Skull look like Godfather Part 2. Disney just can't help themselves in destroying beloved IP's and this is just the most recent.

You keep posting stuff like this and I’m curious how you have come to that conclusion without seeing the movie.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You keep posting stuff like this and I’m curious how you have come to that conclusion without seeing the movie.
Without knowing his thoughts, I think the next one is going to bomb in a huge way as well.

The response in Cannes was just...... troubling on its face. And now the CGI de-aging seems to be an issue as well. I'm also worried that we are about to have some more disney-level female empowerment stuff happen with PWB (who I adored in Fleabag) that will doom the project to the same fate as many other IP projects that Kathleen Kennedy has murdered into oblivion. Not keeping to the spirit of the IP is a huge problem that continues to plague this era of Disney.

My ranking: Last Crusade, Raiders, Temple. I like all three but Crusade was and is my peak Indy project. Man I love that move. Junior!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already talked about it above, May 19 post. Since then, Harrison himself said they changed the ending which means Mangold lied. Of course we already knew that when John Williams said he had been working on some new ending music.

Dr. Jones, I think my ranking is the same as yours, even as I acknowledge Raiders is the best movie (and one of the best all time). And honestly, I'm extremely tempted that when I finally get a new dog, I'm going to name him Indiana. If only so I can say I named the dog Indiana.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Uh… okay. No.

There is no “taking over Indiana Jones”. Just like there was no taking over Han Solo.

THIS is stupid… especially considering the tepid at best reviews. I mean… I get that Kathy is in SELL, SELL, SELL! mode, but have a SMIDGE of self-awareness.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh… okay. No.

There is no “taking over Indiana Jones”. Just like there was no taking over Han Solo.

THIS is stupid… especially considering the tepid at best reviews. I mean… I get that Kathy is in SELL, SELL, SELL! mode, but have a SMIDGE of self-awareness.
I would imagine it would be full spinoff not actually Indiana Jones. Like you said there is no taking over that. This is a weird comment though because I just read a couple weeks back that there were no plans for new movies but possibly another TV show. Maybe that's what she was referencing.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Uh… okay. No.

Why would she care? As long as Disney allows her to keep lighting money on fire she has no need to be self-aware.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the plan all along. We knew about this 2 years ago.
you make it seem like it's some Machiavellian thing... we'll turn Indiana Jones woke and make him a woman!

Guess what... it was the plan when they brought in Shia LeBouf as Indiana Jones' son. And that sucked too.

The plan is to try and keep making money. They already failed with the IT guy of the moment, making him a son. So, now they're trying to do it with the IT girl of the moment... well, IT girl of like four years ago. It's all grasping at straws to try and milk the cow, not an affront to your manhood.

and my guess is any attempt would fail just as spectacularly as had they tried it with Shia and will never happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose