Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question - is there the same scorn from everyone on the Bond Series, where they keep making movies, milking the franchise by continually re-casting the lead?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what they wanted to do, what they tried to do, what they filmed. It tested so horribly they had to rewrite and reshoot the ending.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's not about recasting, it's about erasing Indy from the time line as if he didn't exist which is what the movie does or at least did before the reshooting. There's a time travel element (gross and over played trope) that results in Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character recreating all of his accomplishments. It's not simply bringing in a new actor to continue the roll like with Bond or Doctor Who.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about recasting, it's about erasing Indy from the time line as if he didn't exist which is what the movie does or at least did before the reshooting. There's a time travel element (gross and over played trope) that results in Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character recreating all of his accomplishments. It's not simply bringing in a new actor to continue the roll like with Bond or Doctor Who.

That would be stupid...

Make her a contemporary of Indiana's that does her own adventures in the same vein.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I said this before. Short of recasting Indy (River Phoenix obviously would have been perfect, and Sean Patrick Flannery would obviously work), this story should have been: An older Indiana Jones has been captured by bad guys because of stuff he knows. It's up to Short Round to save him. How awesome would it be to see that happen. We know Ke Huy Kwan has the acting and action chops to pull it off and everyone loves Short Round. But Disney can't help themselves.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question - is there the same scorn from everyone on the Bond Series, where they keep making movies, milking the franchise by continually re-casting the lead?
At least Bond is a spy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I said this before. Short of recasting Indy (River Phoenix obviously would have been perfect, and Sean Patrick Flannery would obviously work), this story should have been: An older Indiana Jones has been captured by bad guys because of stuff he knows. It's up to Short Round to save him. How awesome would it be to see that happen. We know Ke Huy Kwan has the acting and action chops to pull it off and everyone loves Short Round. But Disney can't help themselves.
Yeah..: NO ONE knew Ke Hu Kwan was even still alive much less still had acting chops until April 2022 when Everything Everywhere came out… and when this script was already written and in production.

Oh the horror… Indy gets a female sidekick after male sidekicks in the last THREE MOVIES.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah..: NO ONE knew Ke Hu Kwan was even still alive much less still had acting chops until April 2022 when Everything Everywhere came out… and when this script was already written and in production.

Oh the horror… Indy gets a female sidekick after male sidekicks in the last THREE MOVIES.
After having to strong female sidekicks in the first two movies. I guess that is Disney's fault too even though they didn't own it then.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, this isn’t that. Not even a little bit.

And while the Short Round idea might be new to you, it certainly isn’t new.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nobody knew he was even still acting. Hollywood is very out of site out of mind. Regardless of the fanboy in many people like myself (who would love to have seen it), box office is still about the drawl. Prior to his last movie? There was none with Ke Hu Kwan outside of hardcore fans.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having Short Round take over has been around ever since Indy 4 was announced. That’s completely separate from Ke Huy Kwan’s awesome recent resurgence.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having Short Round take over has been around ever since Indy 4 was announced. That’s completely separate from Ke Huy Kwan’s awesome recent resurgence.
Ke Huy Kwan could not carry the franchise. I love the guy but he isn't a lead for a franchise this big. Good acting chops but he doesn't have the charm or the "it" factor of Harrison Ford. It's not even comparable. The only people that think that are fanboys. Plus, it's not like Hollywood execs spend a ton of time in forums to pick the brains of what fanboys want either.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well..... I wouldn't be surprised with anything Kennedy does. She's made it clear with her movies that the women in the Disney universe never need a man for anything. I will be slightly surprised if Indy comes across as strong, capable, or..... god forbid...... in charge when a woman is present. It's not about making statements to me personally, its the forced injection of the studios and creative forces political messages that drives me up a wall. If it's part of the story, and it makes sense, fine. Don't have a "secret agenda" as one exec once said.

From Rey, to Rogue One, to She Hulk, to season 3 of the Mandalorian, to the M-She-U, to Indy. Kathleen Kennedy knows exactly what to do to turn off disney fans and fans of the legacy of the IP. And that's before we get into any of the forced sexual or racial culture war BS that the latest animated films have had.

Is it too much to ask to just write great stories with broad and universal appeal that are made well without any politics getting in the way?

I certainly hope the re-shoots have fixed the issues DMC talked about with the time travel crap. Erasing Indy and by extension Connery, would be an outrage to me personally.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is unhinged. And ridiculous. Short Round isn’t new to me. I’ve actually WORKED with Quan when he was running Kar Wai Wong’s production company in the early 2000s . And you know why he was doing that? Because his acting career was OVER. And would continue to be that way until Everything, Everywhere.

Reality is Ke Huy Quan hadn’t been on the silver screen IN DECADES. No one knew he was even still alive acting-wise and to make him a huge part of Indy when he’d all but fallen off the map of Hollywood is ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well..... I wouldn't be surprised with anything Kennedy does. She's made it clear with her movies that the women in the Disney universe never need a man for anything. I will be slightly surprised if Indy comes across as strong, capable, or..... god forbid...... in charge when a woman is present. It's not about making statements to me personally, its the forced injection of the studios and creative forces political messages that drives me up a wall. If it's part of the story, and it makes sense, fine. Don't have a "secret agenda" as one exec once said.

From Rey, to Rogue One, to She Hulk, to season 3 of the Mandalorian, to the M-She-U, to Indy. Kathleen Kennedy knows exactly what to do to turn off disney fans and fans of the legacy of the IP. And that's before we get into any of the forced sexual or racial culture war BS that the latest animated films have had.

Is it too much to ask to just write great stories with broad and universal appeal that are made well without any politics getting in the way?

I certainly hope the re-shoots have fixed the issues DMC talked about with the time travel crap. Erasing Indy and by extension Connery, would be an outrage to me personally.
Except Rey regardless of what you think of the films is one of the most popular characters in Star Wars. A friend of mine who owns a costume shop says every year when the films were out it was by far one of the most sold costumes. Go to a Star Wars convention. It's one of the most cosplayed costumes. Rogue One with a female lead is one of the highest rated of all the Star Wars movies. The MCU has owned the box office for that genre.

Why does having a female lead automatically equal politics? That's essentially what you are saying.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From Rey,
I wasn’t crazy about The Force Awakens, but Rey was the star of that movie which made the 5th most money of all time. And is beloved by an new generation of non-sexists.
to Rogue One
Lol… what? This movie is universally loved also. Oh noes… there’s ONE female character in the band of rebels who steal the Death Star plans.

Are you serious?
, to She Hulk,
This admittedly sucked.
to season 3 of the Mandalorian,
This show is 1000% in control of by Favreau and Filoni. I know writers in this universe. You are clueless here. You want to blame someone there, blame the men in charge.
to the M-She-U,
Lol… the sexism is strong with this one.
to Indy. Kathleen Kennedy knows exactly what to do to turn off disney fans and fans of the legacy of the IP. And that's before we get into any of the forced sexual or racial culture war BS that the latest animated films have had.
Only in a bigot’s mind would the mere existence of Gay characters or actually representing minority characters in movies that excluded them for decades be considered part of a culture war.
I can’t imagine living in a world where a bright up and coming shining female star becoming Indy’s sidekick becomes political.
I think that would be an outrage to everyone.

Which is why it probably isn’t happening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Rey regardless of what you think of the films is one of the most popular characters in Star Wars. A friend of mine who owns a costume shop says every year when the films were out it was by far one of the most sold costumes. Go to a Star Wars convention. It's one of the most cos play costumes. Rogue One with a female lead is one of the highest rated of all the Star Wars movies. The MCU has owned the box office for that genre.

Why does having a female lead automatically equal politics? That's essentially what you are saying.
Because sexists are offended at the idea of a woman actually being a hero.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wasn’t crazy about The Force Awakens, but Rey was the star of that movie which made the 5th most money of all time. And is beloved by an new generation of non-sexists.

Lol… what? This movie is universally loved also. Oh noes… there’s ONE female character in the band of rebels who steal the Death Star plans.

Are you serious?

This admittedly sucked.

This show is 1000% in control of by Favreau and Filoni. I know writers in this universe. You are clueless here. You want to blame someone there, blame the men in charge.

Lol… the sexism is strong with this one.

Only in a bigot’s mind would the mere existence of Gay characters or actually representing minority characters in movies that excluded them for decades be considered part of a culture war.

I can’t imagine living in a world where a bright up and coming shining female star becoming Indy’s sidekick becomes political.

I think that would be an outrage to everyone.

Which is why it probably isn’t happening.
I liked Rey also in the force awakens. It's no surprise that: Every movies revenue went down through the trilogy. What they did to Luke and Han in that series was embarrasing. And that no one in any of the three movies ever had to help her do anything ever. Even Kylo had to cower at her feet in the third movie. How in tha eff did she get more powerful than Luke so quickly? WTF DISNEY?!?!?!?!

It's quite plain.

I loved Rogue one. Maybe that shouldn't have been included. I got on a roll about my issues with a company I once loved more than any other.

Hope your right about Indy. Please don't turn this beloved IP into a Roseanne waking up dream please. That's all I ask.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Rey also in the force awakens. It's no surprise that: Every movies revenue went down through the trilogy. What they did to Luke and Han in that series was embarrasing. And that no one in any of the three movies ever had to help her do anything ever. Even Kylo had to cower at her feet in the third movie. How in tha eff did she get more powerful than Luke so quickly? WTF DISNEY?!?!?!?!

It's quite plain.

I loved Rogue one. Maybe that shouldn't have been included. I got on a roll about my issues with a company I once loved more than any other.

Hope your right about Indy. Please don't turn this beloved IP into a Roseanne waking up dream please. That's all I ask.
These sentences seem to indicate you think having a female lead (Jedi) in Rey is responsible for "revenue" going down. Couple that with your previous statements above? Seems like you are doubling down. Can you clarify?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he does. Go read P and R for a bit and you’ll see all kinds of really troubling bigotry towards a lot more than women there.
I try and skip that forum for my blood pressure but not responding above speaks volumes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard