Inception

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know instead they had people attacking your sub conscious mind to place an idea in it. They went in fully armed and ready for battle.

Then the sub conscious mind was planted with fully armed tactical swat teams to keep you from planting the idea in there to begin with.

Totally possible. ;)

Much more so than a huge shoot out and losing two of your four including one of them creating a diversion in an ambulance so you can get out.

Yeah, because the FBI would have fallen for that. And would have left enough room for the ambulance to drive 2 blocks before it was stopped.

If Affleck to act or direct (long closeups of yourself is not good directing) the Town would have made a decent TV movie.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, because the FBI would have fallen for that. And would have left enough room for the ambulance to drive 2 blocks before it was stopped.

If Affleck to act or direct (long closeups of yourself is not good directing) the Town would have made a decent TV movie.

Are you referring to the same inept FBI I know of?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw Inception for the first time last night, and while I can understand how some people might see an emotional "void" in the love story, I don't. I was right there with it from the scene where his architecht (I forget her name) saw that he was going in alone and reliving memories to try to re-live/change them.

I very much wanted the totem to topple at the end, I was invested enough that I said aloud "come on, fall!" In fact, I think rather than leaving it open-ended and people guessing with it wobbling, theaters everywhere would have erupted in cheers if it fell. You can bet they filmed it that way, I can't even fathom why it might not have tested well.

Anyways. LOVED this movie. DiCaprio has really come into his own. Probably helps working with the directors he does.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw Inception for the first time last night, and while I can understand how some people might see an emotional "void" in the love story, I don't. I was right there with it from the scene where his architecht (I forget her name) saw that he was going in alone and reliving memories to try to re-live/change them.

I very much wanted the totem to topple at the end, I was invested enough that I said aloud "come on, fall!" In fact, I think rather than leaving it open-ended and people guessing with it wobbling, theaters everywhere would have erupted in cheers if it fell. You can bet they filmed it that way, I can't even fathom why it might not have tested well.

Anyways. LOVED this movie. DiCaprio has really come into his own. Probably helps working with the directors he does.
Amen brother.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Say what you will about Titanic, but is there a project he's chosen that WASN'T a good choice? Even his early films before Titanic were bold choices (Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape--even Quick and the Dead and Romeo+Juliet).

I suppose his worst movie might be The Man in the Iron Mask, but he was just coming off Titanic and he got a chance to work with Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gabriel Byrne and Gerard Depardieu. So he's gets a pass for that one.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Say what you will about Titanic, but is there a project he's chosen that WASN'T a good choice? Even his early films before Titanic were bold choices (Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape--even Quick and the Dead and Romeo+Juliet).

In Bill Simmon's Book of Basketball he lists the greatest "what if" questions and one of them was what if Leo was able to film Boogie Nights, but he had to turn it down because he was already contracted to do Titanic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In Bill Simmon's Book of Basketball he lists the greatest "what if" questions and one of them was what if Leo was able to film Boogie Nights, but he had to turn it down because he was already contracted to do Titanic.

I don't think He's lost a lot of sleep over it. Titanic basically allowed him to make whatever he wants without having to worry about how much money he was going to get paid. He could work for free for the rest of his life and still be stinking rich, just from Titanic.

And I certainly don't think him not being in Boogie Nights makes him less of an actor. I don't dislike Mark Wahlberg, but I think DiCaprio is a much better actor--whether he was in Boogie Nights or not.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a followup to my previous post. This Blu Ray is freaking awesome. The sound alone is reference. My new receiver and utilizing the new sound format really highlighted for me what I have been missing with an older receiver. Now add in a freaking awesome movie and I am in heaven right now.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

I suppose his worst movie might be The Man in the Iron Mask, but he was just coming off Titanic and he got a chance to work with Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gabriel Byrne and Gerard Depardieu. So he's gets a pass for that one.

The Beach :thumbdown How is Quick & the Dead a bold choice? That movie blows and doesn't exactly try and break any new ground.

Agree with you about Boogie Nights. Who cares? It didn't exactly torpedo Dicaprio's career.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Beach :thumbdown

not a fan of the beach, but i understand why he did it, getting a chance to work with Danny Boyle who was coming off directing Trainspotting and then would go on to become one of the industry's best directors with 28 Day Later, Slumdog Millionare and 27 Hours.

How is Quick & the Dead a bold choice? That movie blows and doesn't exactly try and break any new ground.

agreed there. that was a REALLY odd choice for him.

Agree with you about Boogie Nights. Who cares? It didn't exactly torpedo Dicaprio's career.

agreed as well, besides, I thought Wahlberg was pretty perfect for that part.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Beach :thumbdown How is Quick & the Dead a bold choice? That movie blows and doesn't exactly try and break any new ground.

Quick and the Dead is a seminal Sam Raimi film. Evil Dead 2 as a Western. How does the movie blow? Stylistically, it's very underrated.

As for The Beach, it is a strange movie, not exactly blockbuster material, and it's working for Danny Boyle.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
okay... now i get why he made Quick... but a seminal Raimi film? i'd disagree with that.

It's more of a Raimi film than anything he's done since. He directed Spider-Man, but you couldn't tell that it was a Raimi film.

He likes using a lot of close-ups and fast zooms. You don't see any of that in Spider-Man.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching this movie and something struck me as odd about it. What is up with the way they were speaking? Nobody in the real world talks like that. They were all speaking as if they'd just had elocution lessons. They almost never used contractions and they articulated every single syllable almost every single time any of them spoke. It didn't ruin the movie for me but I did find it mildly distracting. All in all, I liked the movie quite a bit but I'm not sure I'd put it as high as most of you do.

Steve

Last edited: