Inception

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
ooohh ... I just read the NYT review so now I have to go see it.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Alright....I guess I'll be the controversial one on this film. Here's my take:

Really good movie. Very much enjoyed it. Great 2+ hours of having to paying attention and be sharp...like a great puzzle. Better then anything non-Pixar in the theaters this year.

Not sure I rate it as great, though.

*ducks, aware that it is loved here*

Here is my issue: Nolan is too cold of a director/writer. He's marvelously analytical. He's a master at his craft. He's excellent at creating atmosphere. But he struggles with telling an story that is fully emotionally engaging. He is missing some level of warmth and humanity in his storytelling. Something other great, blockbuster filmmakers of recent note have all had (Spielberg, Cameron, Jackson, etc).

I really have enjoyed all his films, but I like them for the puzzles, the craft he displays, and in the case of The Dark Knight, the scale, the graphic novel dark ambiance and the bravura Joker performance. But none of them appeal for their humanity. The characters are too cold, too distant, too withdrawn into their own worlds...too robotic.

I think this shows in particular in Inception. It was masked in The Dark Knight somewhat, due to the epic nature of the film and action. Inception relies on a love story for it's emotional core. And that just didn't do it for me. Even the draw of a father's children on him was remote and hazy, rather than real and vibrant.

Hopefully Nolan gains something in this space in future movies...puzzles with humanity...if so, he'd be the best around.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
same at both of theaters I saw it at.

you know a movie has really tapped into the cultural zeitgeist when my 68 year old father calls me and in an excited huff asks "So, what do you think? Fid it drop or not?!"

honestly, following up The Dark Knight (which was probably my favorite movie seen in a theater since T2) with Inception isn't just impressive, it's miraculous these days.

CAN... NOT... WAIT TO SEE Bats 3 and whatever else comes after that from Nolan. Dude's on a mid-80's to early 90's James Cameron-like run.

dad's not 68. i'm telling him you said that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Alright....I guess I'll be the controversial one on this film. Here's my take:

Really good movie. Very much enjoyed it. Great 2+ hours of having to paying attention and be sharp...like a great puzzle. Better then anything non-Pixar in the theaters this year.

Not sure I rate it as great, though.

*ducks, aware that it is loved here*

Here is my issue: Nolan is too cold of a director/writer. He's marvelously analytical. He's a master at his craft. He's excellent at creating atmosphere. But he struggles with telling an story that is fully emotionally engaging. He is missing some level of warmth and humanity in his storytelling. Something other great, blockbuster filmmakers of recent note have all had (Spielberg, Cameron, Jackson, etc).

I really have enjoyed all his films, but I like them for the puzzles, the craft he displays, and in the case of The Dark Knight, the scale, the graphic novel dark ambiance and the bravura Joker performance. But none of them appeal for their humanity. The characters are too cold, too distant, too withdrawn into their own worlds...too robotic.

I think this shows in particular in Inception. It was masked in The Dark Knight somewhat, due to the epic nature of the film and action. Inception relies on a love story for it's emotional core. And that just didn't do it for me. Even the draw of a father's children on him was remote and hazy, rather than real and vibrant.

Hopefully Nolan gains something in this space in future movies...puzzles with humanity...if so, he'd be the best around.

actually, as one of those fawning over this movie, i think your criticism is spot on. as soon as you raised the idea of emotional void in a seemingly emotionally-driven twist i realized you were right. very interesting . . .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually, as one of those fawning over this movie, i think your criticism is spot on. as soon as you raised the idea of emotional void in a seemingly emotionally-driven twist i realized you were right. very interesting . . .

it's funny you both mention that. Halfway through the movie, I was feeling the same thing until Cobb explains how he knows Inception works. That drew me in emotionally, whereas up till that point, I was just really enjoying the cleverness. Combine that with the last hour of incredible cross-cutting action and I was sold 100%.

that being said, I can still see what you're talking about. Nolan definitely doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve like old Spielberg, Cameron and Jackson. I think Nolan's more of a blockbuster movie-making latter day Kubrick than the other guys.

That being said, I'll put The Dark Knight up there with any Indiana Jones, Terminator or LOTR.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
it's funny you both mention that. Halfway through the movie, I was feeling the same thing until Cobb explains how he knows Inception works. That drew me in emotionally, whereas up till that point, I was just really enjoying the cleverness. Combine that with the last hour of incredible cross-cutting action and I was sold 100%.

that being said, I can still see what you're talking about. Nolan definitely doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve like old Spielberg, Cameron and Jackson. I think Nolan's more of a blockbuster movie-making latter day Kubrick than the other guys.

That being said, I'll put The Dark Knight up there with any Indiana Jones, Terminator or LOTR.

We have a winner!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't think there was a constant emotional draw but I disagree it was devoid. There were several scenes. When he went to the university, when you see him struggle with going under alone, when he is followed into his own dream, the next several scenes where he deals with Mal. Though I didn't think there was this emotional "punch" of a scene, I thought there was enough of it to humanize his experience.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't think there was a constant emotional draw but I disagree it was devoid. There were several scenes. When he went to the university, when you see him struggle with going under alone, when he is followed into his own dream, the next several scenes where he deals with Mal. Though I didn't think there was this emotional "punch" of a scene, I thought there was enough of it to humanize his experience.

I agree. I was invested more than enough to have an emotional reaction to the film as a whole, even if it was more of an edge-of-your-seat excited reaction than a what's-going-to-happen-to-that-character reaction.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ha....at our showing there was a big "intake of air" collectively from the audience.

Yes, there was an audible gasp from the audience at the end. Great ending to a great film. Loved it on all levels.

Amazing special effects and cinematography. The zero gravity fight scenes were outstanding.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Just saw this one Sunday night - harder to see movies now, but glad I got to see this one in the theater ..... main target to watch this summer ...... still a pretty good crowd in there as well

Loved this movie .... our whole group did ...... Nolan is probably my favorite guy going ...... I also think the kubrick comparison is pretty accurate .... they make different types of movies, but from an emotional angle what they evoke is different than the spielberg crowd

completely different emotions - but not devoid by any means

to me a lot of the emotion came from the concept of inception, how the dream world and being an architect has changed and tormented his life - how his father led him on this path - how he can't trust himself in this environment which became the only place he could really function after a while ... leaving him pretty much empty ...... then finally needing to conquer the very thing that left him empty to gain redemption (inception can bring him home, just like inception ruined his life leading to Mals suicide)

a lot of really good effects - a lot of good acting - a good character balance ...... I like that about his movies ..... just a lot of balance going on between everything

and while this movie did cause you to think - it wasn't overly complicated ...... they even paused every 30 minutes or so to explain to the audience exactly what was going on without being insulting about it

my wife doesn't always follow layers that well .... she generally isn't a big movie person and doesn't get into the suspense/drama genre that much ..... they just don't hold enough of her attention and she'll miss things through distraction ....... didn't have that issue with this movie at all - kept her engaged the whole time .... only complaint from her, shared by her sister, is that the snow scene dragged on a bit

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Finally saw it. Good movie, but totally over hyped imho.

And this is from someone who has Nolan's other work, including the brilliant and underrated The Prestige, as some of his all time favorites.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so let me ask you guys who saw it.

When he spins his talisman at the end does it keep spinning or stop?

Notice when it cuts to black it just starts to move...the tiniest bit. Thoughts?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
so let me ask you guys who saw it.

When he spins his talisman at the end does it keep spinning or stop?

Notice when it cuts to black it just starts to move...the tiniest bit. Thoughts?

That's the point. Does it stop? Or doesn't it? Some people I talk to didn't like that ending because it makes you leave wondering just what is reality. I'm neutral on it, personally, because the movie before that moment was so good.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
That's the point. Does it stop? Or doesn't it? Some people I talk to didn't like that ending because it makes you leave wondering just what is reality. I'm neutral on it, personally, because the movie before that moment was so good.

Agreed.

Except for a little bit of discussion about it with my friends on the way home, I haven't contemplated the ending whatsoever. 99.9% of things I've discussed with people since I viewed the film has been about the film up to that point.

The ending sequence with his totem was the only predictable thing in the film that immediately comes to mind...I was kind of expecting it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know..... It's just that I don't care much for Ellen Page or Marion Cotillard.... I just don't like their looks.

That being said.... I came out of the theater feeling like I had been in a fist fight that I wasn't sure if I had won or lost. Excruciatingly intense. It would be interesting to have blood pressure cuffs on all the audience and track their BP as the movie goes on.....

As to the ending.... I don't think Cobb cared whether it was real or not... It simply didn't matter. He got what he wanted....

Good movie, but overrated a bit, I think. 4 out of 5 stars

BTW..... How come in these kinds of movies, for all the stuff they can make and do, they can't make themselves invulnerable???? Jus' sayin'...... ;)

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I enjoyed it well enough, and it's definitely one of the better movies this year. But, given the subject matter, I think it could have been approached somewhat differently. I understand this was a big Hollywood production so you need a lot of gun fights and car chases and what not, but the premise of this movie doesn't really warrant that, imo. Why should someone's subconscious defense mechanism manifest itself as bunch of gun-wielding security guards? Of course without that, it wouldn't be much of an action film and thus not make nearly as much money, so I can accept that.

But it makes me wonder what this movie would have been like if the dream sequences been a little more like something out of a David Lynch movie than a Christopher Nolan one. It would seem more fitting, given the premise. Then again, it was a Nolan movie and so I knew what to expect and wasn't disappointed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just rewatched this on a stellar blu-ray, and it was already a brilliant film, but it is twice as good now. There was a lot of ambiguities and questions in the first viewing, but things started making more sense in the repeat viewing.

Just a brilliant, brilliant movie. I know many will point at Dark Knight as Nolan's best, and I love that movie, but as pure cinema, Inception is his best film.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this on Blu Ray the day it came out and have not had a chance to watch this using my new Onkyo Receiver. I finally replaced my trust worthy H/K receiver. I can't wait. Going to watch this tomorrow.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say when I first saw the eye candy in the initial trailers I thought it was going to be a bomb. Movies like this, I just expect them to be all CGI and no story and cliched characters. I don't know if they totally exceeded all of my expectations, but it was so much better an experience than I anticipated. I still think heavy-handed metaphors about people dealing with loss aren't very cool. Would have appreciated a little more subtlety in that category.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just rewatched this on a stellar blu-ray, and it was already a brilliant film, but it is twice as good now. There was a lot of ambiguities and questions in the first viewing, but things started making more sense in the repeat viewing.

Just a brilliant, brilliant movie. I know many will point at Dark Knight as Nolan's best, and I love that movie, but as pure cinema, Inception is his best film.

Agree. I just saw this. I want to watch again. Excellent.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn't have a crap scene about them walking out of Fenway easy peasy.

:)

I know instead they had people attacking your sub conscious mind to place an idea in it. They went in fully armed and ready for battle.

Then the sub conscious mind was planted with fully armed tactical swat teams to keep you from planting the idea in there to begin with.

Totally possible. ;)

Much more so than a huge shoot out and losing two of your four including one of them creating a diversion in an ambulance so you can get out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard