In season trade options...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Similar to Drake last year, there are some guys who may be available mid-season if we are interested.

1 - John Ross - WR
AJ Green is also in this conversation but I don't believe we would invest that many dollars into the WR position. Ross gives us speed if Isabella or Butler do not develop that Kingsbury has stated he wants in his offense. The Bengals knowing Ross's contract is coming up and have depth at WR will consider getting something back for him.

2 - Dolphins CB situation. Eric Rowe and Xavien Howard.
The Dolphins are in a very unique situation at CB. The gave Xavien Howard a nice contract early 2019, but one that only costs them 5 mil if they trade him during this season. They also signed Eric Rowe last year to a decent deal. This year they signed Byron Jones to a huge deal and then draft a CB in round 1. If the season progresses but doesn't translate into wins, I won't be shocked if the Dolphins look to unload a CB to add draft capital.

3 - Jamal Adams - S
He would cost a 1st and a new contract, but...he is one of the top DBs in the NFL. We are still living in rookie QB contract world so that means we can afford more large contracts than normal. Budda Baker, Jamal Adams, Jordan Hicks, and Isaiah Simmons make a pretty athletic group to control the middle of the field. I don't know if it would be the right move to make, but it could be an option on the table especially if we start hot and Jalen isn't progressing fast enough.

4 - A trio of TEs who have flashed but fallen (David Njoku, OJ Howard, Chris Herndon)
All are FAs in two years. All have had moments of being very impactful. All have underperformed in some ways. TE hasn't seemed to be a huge priority, but we also don't have all world talent at the position either. I don't believe the cost will be high with any of these three, and the potential upgrade would be worth a look.

5 - JJ Watt - DE/DT
This is a 100% short term payoff move if we start hot. Watt has been dinged up, is over-priced, and getting old. Even on top of that, something would need to be done either to his contract or to other contracts to make him fit. All that aside, Watt would fill a hole and a role on this defense. If the Cardinals wanted to look to this year and next to make a huge leap and take advantage of Murray's contract this would be a move to make. Watt still makes teams pay when blocking him one on one and would get those chances with Chandler Jones outside. It wouldn't cost much if the Texans season goes the way I feel it will, and there wouldn't be much commitment long term. A John Abraham/Dwight Freeney type move.

6 - Ryan Anderson - OLB
When teams have scheme changes, decent players can get reduced roles. Ryan Anderson is that type of dude. Having sat behind Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Brown, and then the team drafted Montez Sweat last offseason. Despite that, Anderson played 49% of the defensive snaps and got 4 sacks in doing so. He plays special teams as well. All that said, he does not fit Ron Rivera's defense and will be an upcoming free agent. If I am looking for a younger rotational player who can also play special teams to battle with Reddick, Ryan Anderson is a nice cheap option.

7 - Kerryon Johnson - RB
Very similar situation to Kenyan Drake. Went to a big school. Not drafted really high. Seems to be underused and has flashed in moments. Could be a potential coaching change and the team just spent a 2nd round pick on another RB who will not be a free agent in two years. If the coaches feel this scheme is RB friendly, Kerryon would be a cheap option to bring in and enable us to let Drake get paid elsewhere.

Reaction score
Similar to Drake last year, there are some guys who may be available mid-season if we are interested.

1 - John Ross - WR
AJ Green is also in this conversation but I don't believe we would invest that many dollars into the WR position. Ross gives us speed if Isabella or Butler do not develop that Kingsbury has stated he wants in his offense. The Bengals knowing Ross's contract is coming up and have depth at WR will consider getting something back for him.

The Dolphins are in a very unique situation at CB. The gave Xavien Howard a nice contract early 2019, but one that only costs them 5 mil if they trade him during this season. They also signed Eric Rowe last year to a decent deal. This year they signed Byron Jones to a huge deal and then draft a CB in round 1. If the season progresses but doesn't translate into wins, I won't be shocked if the Dolphins look to unload a CB to add draft capital.

3 - Jamal Adams - S
He would cost a 1st and a new contract, but...he is one of the top DBs in the NFL. We are still living in rookie QB contract world so that means we can afford more large contracts than normal. Budda Baker, Jamal Adams, Jordan Hicks, and Isaiah Simmons make a pretty athletic group to control the middle of the field. I don't know if it would be the right move to make, but it could be an option on the table especially if we start hot and Jalen isn't progressing fast enough.

4 - A trio of TEs who have flashed but fallen (David Njoku, OJ Howard, Chris Herndon)
All are FAs in two years. All have had moments of being very impactful. All have underperformed in some ways. TE hasn't seemed to be a huge priority, but we also don't have all world talent at the position either. I don't believe the cost will be high with any of these three, and the potential upgrade would be worth a look.

5 - JJ Watt - DE/DT
This is a 100% short term payoff move if we start hot. Watt has been dinged up, is over-priced, and getting old. Even on top of that, something would need to be done either to his contract or to other contracts to make him fit. All that aside, Watt would fill a hole and a role on this defense. If the Cardinals wanted to look to this year and next to make a huge leap and take advantage of Murray's contract this would be a move to make. Watt still makes teams pay when blocking him one on one and would get those chances with Chandler Jones outside. It wouldn't cost much if the Texans season goes the way I feel it will, and there wouldn't be much commitment long term. A John Abraham/Dwight Freeney type move.

6 - Ryan Anderson - OLB
When teams have scheme changes, decent players can get reduced roles. Ryan Anderson is that type of dude. Having sat behind Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Brown, and then the team drafted Montez Sweat last offseason. Despite that, Anderson played 49% of the defensive snaps and got 4 sacks in doing so. He plays special teams as well. All that said, he does not fit Ron Rivera's defense and will be an upcoming free agent. If I am looking for a younger rotational player who can also play special teams to battle with Reddick, Ryan Anderson is a nice cheap option.

7 - Kerryon Johnson - RB
Very similar situation to Kenyan Drake. Went to a big school. Not drafted really high. Seems to be underused and has flashed in moments. Could be a potential coaching change and the team just spent a 2nd round pick on another RB who will not be a free agent in two years. If the coaches feel this scheme is RB friendly, Kerryon would be a cheap option to bring in and enable us to let Drake get paid elsewhere.

I like 2,4, & 6. If we can get X & OJ that would help on both sides of the ball. I don't know too much about Anderson but I trust your judgement. You can never have too many pass rushers.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple posters have raised the possibility of acquiring OJ Howard, but what about Cameron Brate? He looks likely to be cut after this year (no dead money, salary rises to $6.25M next year, then ramps up to $7.5M over 2022-2023). He's 29, been reliable, and performed as well as Howard from 2016-2018 before playing 2nd fiddle in 2019.

...dave

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll only comment on the Bengals. It makes NO SENSE for them to draft a QB at #1 and then trade away their best WR.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'll only comment on the Bengals. It makes NO SENSE for them to draft a QB at #1 and then trade away their best WR.
They don't view him as their best...and they shouldn't. They just signed Tyler Boyd to an extension. They drafted Tee Higgins 33 overall. They have AJ Green who they will either highlight this year to trade or re-sign to end his career in Cincy. Also, Joe Mixon is a free agent next year.

John Ross has started 19 of 48 possible games over his first three seasons in the league. Why do you think they would be committed to him?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple posters have raised the possibility of acquiring OJ Howard, but what about Cameron Brate? He looks likely to be cut after this year (no dead money, salary rises to $6.25M next year, then ramps up to $7.5M over 2022-2023). He's 29, been reliable, and performed as well as Howard from 2016-2018 before playing 2nd fiddle in 2019.

...dave
I would argue that what Brate does is very similar to what Maxx Williams does. I would want a player who offers a more dynamic skill set.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Crap. I also forgot Washington drafted Chase Young. This means if you want to take a one year flier on Ryan Kerrigan, he can probably be gotten as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

1 - John Ross - WR

3 - Jamal Adams - S

5 - JJ Watt - DE/DT

6 - Ryan Anderson - OLB

7 - Kerryon Johnson - RB

Let's see Ross stay healthy and be productive, first.

No way on Jamal Adams....he will cost more than a 1st, plus the new contract...He's throwing everyone under the bus now, to try and get out of New York....and if any games are missed this year, the Cap may be severely impacted for the next couple of years.

I like the idea of of one of the Dolphins CB's.

I don't think Texans will entertain losing Watt for anything...and he's not the type of player to want out, similar to Larry. He's a Houston lifer....has done so much for the community and he's seems to have a realistic head on his shoulders about his career (which is already 1st Ballot HOF). I don't see him as a trophy chaser.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would argue that what Brate does is very similar to what Maxx Williams does. I would want a player who offers a more dynamic skill set.

Personally, I don't think we are looking hard at TE's.

Not only does the air raid offense not feature them, Maxx's greatest asset is his blocking ability in the run game. It has been pointed out how MW led the league in TE blocking within PFF's metrics IIRC.

Howard, Brate, Njoku or others do not offer anywhere near the blocking ability that Maxx showed. And none are as cheap as Dan Arnold or Tyler Cantrell.

A TE must be able to run block (first), pass block (second), and provide reasonable pass catching ability two to four times a game (third). That's what I saw last year and expect to see again this year. Especially with a target beast like DHop being added to the squad.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think we are looking hard at TE's.

Not only does the air raid offense not feature them, Maxx's greatest asset is his blocking ability in the run game. It has been pointed out how MW led the league in TE blocking within PFF's metrics IIRC.

Howard, Brate, Njoku or others do not offer anywhere near the blocking ability that Maxx showed. And none are as cheap as Dan Arnold or Tyler Cantrell.

A TE must be able to run block (first), pass block (second), and provide reasonable pass catching ability two to four times a game (third). That's what I saw last year and expect to see again this year. Especially with a target beast like DHop being added to the squad.
If Dan carries the momentum he had at the end of last season into this season, you can expect a lot more TE usage.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smaller rosters. No preseason games to evaluate or get tape from.

Does this sound like an environment ready-made for trades?

Discuss.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

1 - John Ross - WR

3 - Jamal Adams - S

5 - JJ Watt - DE/DT

6 - Ryan Anderson - OLB

7 - Kerryon Johnson - RB

Stick a fork in Watt now. Great human being and was a force but now a cracked shell of his former self... he's no Dwight Freeney or B-Train in his later years if you sign him

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Let's see Ross stay healthy and be productive, first.

No way on Jamal Adams....he will cost more than a 1st, plus the new contract...He's throwing everyone under the bus now, to try and get out of New York....and if any games are missed this year, the Cap may be severely impacted for the next couple of years.

I like the idea of of one of the Dolphins CB's.

I don't think Texans will entertain losing Watt for anything...and he's not the type of player to want out, similar to Larry. He's a Houston lifer....has done so much for the community and he's seems to have a realistic head on his shoulders about his career (which is already 1st Ballot HOF). I don't see him as a trophy chaser.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
A couple points. If you want to buy low on anything, you have to make a move before value is shown. You want to get Ross for a low cost which means you don't want to wait on his to be healthy and productive. Think of these moves as flips. It's like Drake...get him cheap, build up his value, and let him go to help your comp pick formula.

Re: Jamal Adams...similar to the Ross situation. It is best for the team who wants to acquire him when Jamal Adams is out there bringing DOWN the Jets leverage. You are correct that there will be a cap impact...his contract is probably around 15 mil per year. The question is where else are you bringing in his level of talent over the next two years? Jamal Adams, Budda Baker, Isaiah Simmons and Jordan Hicks is a heck of a lot of talent between the hashes for the next 3 seasons.

Regarding Watt...I don't believe he will demand to leave, but I don't believe the Texans have shown much loyalty to any one player they have had on their roster. The bottom line is that his 2021 cap number is almost the same as the Texans 2021 cap room. You think Bill O'Brian wants to get fired because he is paying a declining defensive lineman 17.5 mil when he can get rid of him with no dead money?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Smaller rosters. No preseason games to evaluate or get tape from.

Does this sound like an environment ready-made for trades?

Discuss.
Yes.

Smaller rosters means teams are wanting more versatile and impactful players.

You can take more risk because the number of capable players available on practice squads or as free agents is increased by whatever that numbers is times 32.

These are established players and teams should already have tape on them through their advanced scouting departments. You don't need the preseason to evaluate.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Stick a fork in Watt now. Great human being and was a force but now a cracked shell of his former self... he's no Dwight Freeney or B-Train in his later years if you sign him
He has 20 sacks, 22 tackles for loss, and 46 QB hits over the 24 games he has played in the past two seasons. Of course he is not the player he once was but if he was in his prime he would not be available for a cheap salary-dump trade.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It wont surprise me at all if Watt has another 15+ sack season in him if he can play 14 or more games. He works very hard to stay in shape, just has had terrible luck with injuries.

I don't think the Texans will give us their two best players in back to back trades. I think Bill O'Brien would be fired before he was allowed to do it.

That said, I could see Watt going to the Pats or something....(who I firmly believe are going to win their division with Cam Newton).

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He has 20 sacks, 22 tackles for loss, and 46 QB hits over the 24 games he has played in the past two seasons. Of course he is not the player he once was but if he was in his prime he would not be available for a cheap salary-dump trade.

Put it this way, I know some information on his medicals (and no I will not tell you how) and I would not sign the guy

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Put it this way, I know some information on his medicals (and no I will not tell you how) and I would not sign the guy
I wont ask. I think the cost to acquire would be worth the risk. I understand that he is not going to "get better" and he would take some managing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard