If we would have had our 2nd round pick this year

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I don't get why people are suddenly okay with not having that pick. Yes, we had a good draft with the picks we had, IMO. One more good pick of one of those talented prospects would have been that sweeter, though.

Not sure anyone is ok with it but not much you can do about it.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
We didn't have a second round pick. Get over it and move on. The Cardinals made a mistake...it happens. To everyone.

Regardless, they did pretty good without a second round pick. Would it have been better with a second round pick? Well DUH. But just because we didn't have one doesn't mean that people can't praise the Cardinals for the job they did without the pick. It doesn't mean you are a Kolb lovin fool either. Give me a break with this...

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't have a second round pick. Get over it and move on. The Cardinals made a mistake...it happens. To everyone.

Regardless, they did pretty good without a second round pick. Would it have been better with a second round pick? Well DUH. But just because we didn't have one doesn't mean that people can't praise the Cardinals for the job they did without the pick. It doesn't mean you are a Kolb lovin fool either. Give me a break with this...

This.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Oh yes, several people have started threads crowing about how irrelevant it is not to have had that 2nd rounder. Makes zero sense, but there you have it.

Definitely not irrelevant.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Mohamed Sanu would be an option here, it would have been too early considering he went late in third, but at this point he would be a great pick. I think considering that this class has some amazing WRs Cards should have picked someone else than Floyd in 1st. Sanu, Childs, Criner are all very very promising prospects IMO.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Once again, if you honestly believe Fitz walks away from that record shattering contract then... fine.

And not only does the idea of Fitz leaving mean he turns down that enormous contract but it also implies a contending team with an established QB in place would magically have the cap space to sign Fitz to a similar offer. Something no one of that profile this off season would have been capable of.

Talk about hindsight being 20/20. If you think Fitz doesn't value his legacy more then money you haven't been paying attention. And he would have gotten top WR money from EVERY team out there. Losing Fitz would have been the most devastating thing to ever happen to te franchise. Even if it was a 5% chance better with Kolb (which all common sense and logic dicttes it was much more the that) it was 100 percent the right move.

There's a reason you are in the minority on this one. Because you ain't right:)

And I'm still hopeful Kolbs play will prove to be worth a 2nd rounder. But even if not for the Fitz reasons listed above it was a no brainer.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Oh one more thing. You need more then one lockout effected season to evaluate this trade. Everyone wants to gnash their teeth but this year is what will dictate if it was worth a 2nd rounder. Till then it's an incomplete grade.

Sigh. I wish fans, media, and others would take the big picture view more often. All anyone is worried about "what happened last"... If Kolb is healthy I believe we still have a similar record last 9 and then Everyone is excited about our QB play going into this season.

Let's see how offseason and TC evolves before dreaming about a hit or miss 2nd round pick possibility.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You build through the draft. Trading away draft picks and players you drafted for someone else's garbage is not how you win in the NFL. It was stupid to give up that pick. A desperation move. Whether it was in desperation to get a QB or desperation to keep Fitz, though I still haven't seen any proof that is reality, doesn't matter. And we saw in the 2007 draft what desperation moves get you.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talk about hindsight being 20/20. If you think Fitz doesn't value his legacy more then money you haven't been paying attention. And he would have gotten top WR money from EVERY team out there. Losing Fitz would have been the most devastating thing to ever happen to te franchise. Even if it was a 5% chance better with Kolb (which all common sense and logic dicttes it was much more the that) it was 100 percent the right move.

There's a reason you are in the minority on this one. Because you ain't right:)

And I'm still hopeful Kolbs play will prove to be worth a 2nd rounder. But even if not for the Fitz reasons listed above it was a no brainer.

Well, you're scenario envisions Fitz not only walking away from record shattering money but that a contender with an established QB would magically have the cap space to make a similar offer. Something no contender had this offseason. If I am in the minority who can see that... then I am glad.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
You build through the draft. Trading away draft picks and players you drafted for someone else's garbage is not how you win in the NFL. It was stupid to give up that pick. A desperation move. Whether it was in desperation to get a QB or desperation to keep Fitz, though I still haven't seen any proof that is reality, doesn't matter. And we saw in the 2007 draft what desperation moves get you.

I agree you build through the draft. But you don't win without a QB. If you think you can get your hands on a potential franchise qb you do it.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree you build through the draft. But you don't win without a QB. If you think you can get your hands on a potential franchise qb you do it.

Fully agree. And this is why you see the Raiders trade a 1st rd pick + for Palmer.

Or the Redskins trade two 1st rd picks, a 2nd rd pick and move down 4 slots to acquire RG111.

Or the Packers trade a ?? pick for Favre.

Or the Texans trade a 2nd rd pick + for Schaub.

Or the Chiefs give up ??? for Cassel.

Or the Seahawks trade and swap positions for freaking Whitehurst.

The Kolb trade is in line with these trades with the only potential error being in whether he pans out or not, not the compensation given.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fully agree. And this is why you see the Raiders trade a 1st rd pick + for Palmer.

Or the Redskins trade two 1st rd picks, a 2nd rd pick and move down 4 slots to acquire RG111.

Or the Packers trade a ?? pick for Favre.

Or the Texans trade a 2nd rd pick + for Schaub.

Or the Chiefs give up ??? for Cassel.

Or the Seahawks trade and swap positions for freaking Whitehurst.

The Kolb trade is in line with these trades with the only potential error being in whether he pans out or not, not the compensation given.

The only team that got a true franchise QB out of all those swaps was Green Bay. I think there is plenty to question about trading away assets for a player many saw as flawed before he arrived and trading with a coach who had already dumped 2 crap QBs off in similar fashion.

And personally, I wouldnt lump RGIII in with the rest of those trades. Swapping picks and drafting a rookie is apart from trading for a QB in his late 20s and you hope is ready to contribute immediately.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only team that got a true franchise QB out of all those swaps was Green Bay. I think there is plenty to question about trading away assets for a player many saw as flawed before he arrived and trading with a coach who had already dumped 2 crap QBs off in similar fashion.

And personally, I wouldnt lump RGIII in with the rest of those trades. Swapping picks and drafting a rookie is apart from trading for a QB in his late 20s and you hope is ready to contribute immediately.

The point is there are plenty of examples of what teams in the NFL have given up to acquire a potential "franchise" QB. What the Cards gave up for Kolb is easily in line with these other examples.

For quite some time I had many of the reservations about Kolb as you do but in the end I was glad we pulled the trigger. He was the best option at the time and the final chapter hasn't been written yet.

A major premise of your posts has been that the Cards were the only team vying for Kolb. None of us no that for sure but what we do know is there is an established market value for QB's. The Eagles were not going to give him away as they had no established back up behind an injury prone Vick.

I believe this is my first response to one of your thousand posts about Kolb and expect it to be my last. If by some miracle you post something different than your countless other posts about Kolb I will respond but when I don't you can take that as we disagree.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Oh yes, several people have started threads crowing about how irrelevant it is not to have had that 2nd rounder. Makes zero sense, but there you have it.
Never said irrelevant but it shouldn't be cause of great angst either. Just look back at Cards 2nd round history and you'll see that there are more non-impact players than guys that have actually contributed to the NFL team that drafted them. And it's not just the Cards, most every NFL team is the same way. You can definitely get good players, I've never said otherwise but look at the list:
Ryan Williams: hasn't played a down
Daryl Washington: star potential
Cody Brown: washout
Campbell: star in the making
Alan Branch: did nothing for the Cards
Lutui: ate himself out of Arizona
JJ Arrington: I think he dove to the ground as I typed this.
Karlos Dansby: great player
Boldin: great player
LeVar Fisher: who??
KVB: never did anything in Arizona
Raynoch Thompson: No play Ray
Johnny Rutledge: ewww
then you have other guys like Leeland McElroy, Ben Coleman, and Chuck Levy.

So this shows there are great players to be had, but more than likely a non-impact player, injured player, or bust is what will happen. 4 of the 13 draftees listed are guys that you could lament on missing out on. Not irrelevant but not all that concerning either.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Cbus, the point is that nobody starting ragging the Cards about that 2nd rounder, post draft, until a bunch of...posters...started creating threads about how irrelevant it was. Silliness will beget a response, no?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cbus, the point is that nobody starting ragging the Cards about that 2nd rounder, post draft, until a bunch of...posters...started creating threads about how irrelevant it was. Silliness will beget a response, no?
I agree and see your point. I was more referring to people complaining about Kolb costing a 2nd rounder and that price being too high, when it likely could be a non-issue.