Chopper 2012 1st Round Mock Draft v1.0

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1-Indy: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
-Not much needs to be said here. He goes number 1.

2-Wash (frm St Louis): Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
-Mobile QB for a coach that values mobility. Hard to predict trades, but this make sense.

3-Minn: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
-They need line help, and he is the best in the draft.

4-Cleve: Justin Blackmon, WR, Ok St.
-Despite a slight question of speed, he is a playmaker for a team that needs offensive weapons.

5-Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
-Top CB on a team that needs to improve it's defense. Fills best player and need.

6-St. Louis (frm Wash): Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
-WR would make more sense, but Fisher is a defensive coach, and their rush defense was terrible in 2011. Top DT in the draft, and the Rams can take a WR later as it is a deep class.

7-Jacks: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
-A physical CB on a team that needs help on defense as well as at WR. I think that this is another team that will view the depth at WR as a reason to address another position at the top of the draft.

8-Carolina: Devon Still, DT, Penn St.
-They might take Couples here, but they need to be better up the middle. Either way, I am pretty sure that this pick is used to address the d line.

9-Miami: Quentin Coples, DE, North Carolina
-I know that Miami was a 3-4 defense in 2011, but I can't see getting rid of Nolan if you were going to stay with a 3-4. I could be wrong, but I see Miami transitioning to a 4-3 where they will need traditional 4-3 DEs.

10-Buffalo: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
-Buffalo needs a bunch of help across the board, but in my opinion they need the most help at OT. Demetrius Bell is a FA, and he hasn't been very reliable so they might not resign him. I'm not a huge Reiff fan, but he is considered the 2nd highest rated OT, so I put him here.

11-KC: Jonthan Martin, OT, Stanford
-If Bowe leaves in FA, you could consider a WR here, but I think that KC will continue to try and upgrade their offensive line. They just can't continue to expose their QBs to the number of hits that they have been.

12-Seattle: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
-Lynch is a free agent and Richardson represents best player right here. I expect Lynch to resign, so this probably will change, but right now Richardson looks like the right pick.

13-Arizona: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
-OT and OLB might be higher needs, but the Cards need good player across their entire offensive line. Tough to swallow taking an OG here with it being such a deep class, but right now this looks like the pick. Personally, I would like to trade back.

14-Dallas: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Northern Alabama
-The Cowboys need help in the secondary, and Jenkins looked very good at the Senior Bowl. He is very talented, and I can't see Jerry Jones being scared off of him due to his history.

15-Philly: Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina
-For a team picking #15, not a ton of glaring needs for the Eagles. You would think that they would take an ILB, but Reid hasn't shown a history of taking linebackers in the first round, and the Eagles will need to replace Desean Jackson. Jeffrey would fill in as a more underneath threat allowing the Eagles to use Maclin more as a deep threat which should keep him healthier.

16-NYJ: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
-The Jets have consistently been without a premier pass rusher, and Upshaw looks to be the best combination of pass rusher and physical pressence that the Jets prefer.

17-Cincy: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
-With Jerome Simpson being a FA (and having legal issues), I would expect the Bengals to use their first pick to help out Andy Dalton. Floyd would have room to operate underneath as AJ Green will garner attention over the top. A RB might be an option here, but the Bengals have two more picks in the top 64 to address that position if they want.

18-San Diego: Nick Perry, OLB, USC
-The Chargers haven't been a great defense since Merriman was a force outside. Perry is an explosive pass rusher who is athletic enough to convert to the OLB position in the 3-4. The Chargers also need line help, but I think that they believe they can win if they can do a better job stopping opposing offenses as Rivers will score points.

19-Chicago: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St.
-I have read in places that the Bears like their tackle combo, but I don't see it. Adams would combine with Carimi to form a pretty physical duo, and keep Cutler from being pounded on.

20-Tennessee: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
-The Titans have to face both MJD and Arian Foster twice a year. That coupled with their having 2 or 3 of their defensive linemen as FAs makes me assume that they will draft some beef inside. Thompson can help shore up the interior of the dline, but with Finnegan as a FA, CB could be a possibility as well.

21-Cincy: Jamell Flemming, CB, Oklahoma
-Reports stated that the Bengals were looking at CBs at the Senior Bowl and they spoke a couple times with Flemming. It cuold be a smoke screen, but Hall is returning from injury and Nate Clements is old. A RB or DL is an option here, but I think the Bengals will choose to address their CB position here.

22-Cleve: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
-Several needs could be met with this pick by Cleve, but I believe that they will use their high 2nd round pick to address either the QB or RB position. Because they need to keep improving the defense, I believe that they will take the best pass rusher available here. Ingram would pair with Sheard to give Cleve a young duo of pass rushers to get after Flacco, Roethlisberger and Dalton for the next couple years.

23-Detroit: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
-Detroit needs to address the offensive line as well, but they have needed to improve their secondary for years and Gilmore represents solid value here.

24-Pitts: Kelechi Osemele, OT/OG, Iowa St.
-Osemele seems to fit the Pitts style of OTs. Physical players that lack a bit of athleticism, and worse case can kick inside at OG. A CB would also make sense with this pick, but the Steelers don't seem to feel like CB is a priority.

25-Denver: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
-Denver considered taking Dareus last year at number 2 because they lacked a pressence in the middle of their defense. Poe is a huge guy that would help keep DJ Williams, Von Miller, and Elvins Dumervill free. This pick could go any number of ways, but I think that it will address the defense.

26-Houston: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
-Another team that lacks a bunch of needs so I figure that they continue to upgrade their defense. Barron is a solid S prospect that should be able to shore up the back end of the defense and allow the Houston pass rush to get home.

27-NE (frm New Orleans): Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
-Barron, Upshaw, Jenkins, Thompson and Ingram are all probably higher on the board than Wright, but the Pats need a player to stretch the field deep other than their TEs. Wright offers the Pats a big play option that could clear out space for Welker, Gronk, and the running game to take advantage of.

28-GB: Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall
-The fact that Green Bay lacked a pass rusher opposite of Matthews this year was very apparent. Curry is a smart player that isn't as fast as Matthews, but offers versatility as a DE in nickel packages. There are several options for OLBs here so GB could go several ways, but I think that they will opt for Curry.

29-Baltimore: Donta Hightower, ILB, Alabama
-While most have tabbed Vontaze Burfict with this pick, I think that the Ravens will go for the more instinctual Hightower. While not being as athletic as Burfict, Upshaw is more physical and seems more natural inside.

30-San Fran: Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
-Ahmad Brooks is a FA, and the 49ers were successfull this season by getting after QBs. Mercilus would probably have a similar role to what Aldon Smith had this season, and would give San Fran a great group of linebackers. WR is totally a need, but I don't see one that brings more value than Mercilus does with this pick. Maybe Joe Adams.

31-NYG: Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
-The Giants are terrible at ILB. They need a player who is athletic enough to stay on the field, but also one smart enough to make all the calls. Kuechly beats out OLB Zach Brown in my opinion as the pick. Brown represents the better athlete, but Kuechly could be a best option for what they do.

32-NE: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
-The Pats need an OLBer, but they have made a point to upgrade their offensive line over the past couple years, so I think Konz in the pick. He is a really good player who could solidify their OC position for the rest of Brady's career.

Players left out and why.
1-Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona St.
-There has been talk of his lack on instincts inside and troubles reading defenses. He is a great athlete, but very immature and I can't see him blowing away teams when they interview him. I think he is a better fit at OLB, but we will see. Great talent, but I think too much risk for teams in the first round.

2-Zack Brown, OLB, North Carolina
-The plethora of 3-4 teams drafting from #24 on (7 of 9 run a 3-4) keep him from being a first rounder in my opinion. He is a great athlete, and I could see teams trying to trade up for him, but as is, not a first rounder due to circumstances.

3-RBs. Why only one?
-A talented group that gets snubbed again because of the teams drafting in the later half of this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 rbs go in round 2 as the top teams get a second chance at them.

4-TEs. None?
-Orsen Charles has an outside shot, but I don't seem his as a immediate impact player. Again, I think a team makes a move on him in the 2nd round where the value is better.

5-QBs. None after the top 2?
-I would not be surprised of another QB sneaks into round 1, but don't see it right now. Tannehill is injured, and might not go at the combine. Weeden is like 27, and Kirk Cousins is just coming on now. It is too early to project one of these three in the first right now, but I wouldn't be shocked by a move later in the process.

There it is, blast away.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Kansas City Chiefs invested a Top 15 choice in Brandon Albert three years ago to play offensive tackle for them.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Kansas City Chiefs invested a Top 15 choice in Brandon Albert three years ago to play offensive tackle for them.

It had to be you to poke holes in my theory. :D

I get your point, though I think that most would agree that his play at OT has left something to be desired. That coupled with a general concensus when he was drafted most thought he would be a better OG, makes we wonder if the Chiefs would believe they would be better with Martin at LT and Albert at LG. Who knows though as I am far from an NFL insider or professional scout despite wishing I got paid for my obsession.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
In that scenario wouldn't it be nice to sign Manning, trade #13 + Kolb to Cleveland and pick up #22, #37 and #68 from Cleveland. I would take Ingram at #22 and then fill in the gaps at #37 and #68.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It had to be you to poke holes in my theory. :D

I get your point, though I think that most would agree that his play at OT has left something to be desired. That coupled with a general concensus when he was drafted most thought he would be a better OG, makes we wonder if the Chiefs would believe they would be better with Martin at LT and Albert at LG. Who knows though as I am far from an NFL insider or professional scout despite wishing I got paid for my obsession.

That was not the consensus at the time. The consensus at the time was that he was going to be a better (franchise-level) OT and that he was blocked into the OLG position at Virginia by D'Brickashaw Ferguson before him and Eugene Monroe after him. Albert was expected to be a Top 10 or Top 5 pick as the draft neared.

Albert has one year left on his rookie deal at just over $1 million (really, there was no reason for a rookie pay scale in this CBA and the players' union got railroaded on this issue). There certainly isn't a financial reason to keep him there.

But there is a performance reason, because KC has Ryan Lilja at LG for $2.1 million in 2012. Lilja's only 30 years old and if KC wants to cut him, I'd love to bring him over here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In that scenario wouldn't it be nice to sign Manning, trade #13 + Kolb to Cleveland and pick up #22, #37 and #68 from Cleveland. I would take Ingram at #22 and then fill in the gaps at #37 and #68.

Cleveland isn't going to pay for Kevin Kolb. They'd be "interested" if he were to get cut. They have a massive need for talent and a massive influx of draft picks coming to them.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on the little I know about players (other than the little I've read to date), I like the DeCastro pick, but also wouldn't rule out Upshaw or Ingram if the Card scouts felt they had Freeney-like talent.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cleveland isn't going to pay for Kevin Kolb. They'd be "interested" if he were to get cut. They have a massive need for talent and a massive influx of draft picks coming to them.

This is true. Kold does not have any trade value at this point in time. The bonus owed is too big to pay and trade, especially if we were trying to also sign Calais Campbell and Peyton Manning.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Good mock Chopper! I would be pleasantly surprised if the Cards did get DeCastro, that would be a great value pick.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice work. It's early so things will change. No mention of Cordy Glenn. He makes it into the first somewhere. I have him higher than Osemele, who'll likely fall in the 2nd somewhere, imo.

I'd like to get that Clevland #22 pick along with their early 3rd rounder for our pick.

We then have better options.

#22 - Ingram - OLB - S.C. / Cordy Glenn - G - Ga.
#68 - Brandon Washington G/OT - Miami / Levy Adcock - OT - Ok. St.
#81 - Bobbie Massie - OT - Miss. / N. Potter - OT -Boise St. / Joe Adams - WR - Ark.
112 - Nigel Bradham - ILB - FSU / DaJohn Harris - DL - USC / K. Zeitler G - Wisc.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Very good draft and logical. My only comment is that I think it's very unlikely Reid takes WR in round 1, even if they let Jackson leave. Reid seems to historically draft OL/DL early. I thik they have to address the front 7 defensively and Upshaw seems to be a perfect fit.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Very good draft and logical. My only comment is that I think it's very unlikely Reid takes WR in round 1, even if they let Jackson leave. Reid seems to historically draft OL/DL early. I thik they have to address the front 7 defensively and Upshaw seems to be a perfect fit.

Very true, but remember they have Brandon Graham coming back and Justin Babin on the other side as well as Trent Cole. A DT could make sense, but that team is just so deep.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison