If this is the roster where do we stand?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we don't get Durant we need Gordon
Gotta get someone better than Payne. I will be really happy with that move alone

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we don't get Durant we need Gordon
Gotta get someone better than Payne. I will be really happy with that move alone

Eric Gordon probably could be had for a first round draft pick but the Suns may be saving those for a slim chance of trading for Durant later.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eric Gordon probably could be had for a first round draft pick but the Suns may be saving those for a slim chance of trading for Durant later.
For salary purposes we’d have to trade a lot more than that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of Gordon, the target should be SGA
I'd agree except I just don't know how we make that happen. SGA would blow our window wide open but short of including Bridges, Johnson and Saric in a multi-team deal, I don't know how we get the assets to make a trade work for OKC. And if we trade all that I expect Paul will decline past the point of being a difference maker while we're still trying to add pieces to replace all those losses.

IMO, because of what we'd lose in the deal, SGA helps us more in the long run than he does for the Chris Paul era. So, if we accept that we aren't a championship contender and just make the trade for a few years down the line, then it might make sense. Eric Gordon though is the exact opposite, he won't keep our window open past CP3's decline but he would greatly improve our chances of winning a title in the short term.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast yesterday and to my delight an ESPN writer mentioned Dario Saric as a key player returning for the Suns.

We give Saric credit for what he does but it was refreshing to see someone from the national media do so as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Suns would have to match about $20 million in salary which is not an ideal situation.

It'd require about $24 million or more to make salaries works, which would be 3 players at least unless 1 is Mikal. So it wouldn't be cheap or easy. Mikal and Cam Payne would work but I wouldn't do that now even though I like SGA. OKC would also want picks, which makes it worse for the Suns. That wouldn't help us win a title this year. Durant is the best option if the goal is a title this season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about trading for Eric Gordon.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about trading for Eric Gordon.

My mistake. In that case the Suns need to come up with at least $16 million, which isn't that easy. Cam Payne and Crowder works but that's too much to part with for Gordon. Saric and Craig isn't enough and I'm not sure the Suns improve after that since they'll need Saric to contribute this year without McGee.

I don't see a way to pull it off without hurting the Suns rotation. I guess hope Gordon gets bought out.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Instead of Gordon, the target should be SGA
He’s their Book before CP3 got here. Plus they need someone that can score and don’t need anymore picks.

Some younger guys that might be available over Payne upgrades: Cole Anthony, Coby White, Davion Mitchell, James Bouknight.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s their Book before CP3 got here. Plus they need someone that can score and don’t need anymore picks.

Some younger guys that might be available over Payne upgrades: Cole Anthony, Coby White, Davion Mitchell, James Bouknight.

When I was looking at sign-and-trade options for Ayton, Davion Mitchell was one of my targets.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My mistake. In that case the Suns need to come up with at least $16 million, which isn't that easy. Cam Payne and Crowder works but that's too much to part with for Gordon. Saric and Craig isn't enough and I'm not sure the Suns improve after that since they'll need Saric to contribute this year without McGee.

I don't see a way to pull it off without hurting the Suns rotation. I guess hope Gordon gets bought out.
Would shamet and crowder work? I see that as doable.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Cole Anthony a lot and think he'll be one hell of a player one day. I'd very much like for the Suns to try and acquire him.

I was very interested in an Orlando sign and trade for Ayton that would have netted us Anthony and Wendell Carter Jr. Not that that offer was specifically made but I read rumors those 2 would be available if Orlando went after Ayton.

I'd do a future 1st and Torrey Craig for Anthony, which works financially. Anthony has 2 years left on his rookie deal and is making $3.6 million this year. Orlando has a lot of young frontcourt players and might like a veteran like Craig who can play the 3 plus they get a pick.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes but then our first wing off the bench is Okogie/Craig. Ideally you’d give them Craig/Shamet but that’s about a mil short to match salary. Unless our expirings are outgoing for a star player I’d rather keep Crowder/Saric. I’m not a Payne fan but he’s our best ball handler off the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shamet isn't expiring, which is why I didn't include him. I'm not sure why Houston would to add salary beyond this season since that's when Gordon's deal expires, provided the team he's on doesn't win the championship.

I'd rather keep Crowder and Shamet, especially with picks being included as well. I believe they'd help more than Gordon, ultimately.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like Cole Anthony a lot and think he'll be one hell of a player one day. I'd very much like for the Suns to try and acquire him.

I was very interested in an Orlando sign and trade for Ayton that would have netted us Anthony and Wendell Carter Jr. Not that that offer was specifically made but I read rumors those 2 would be available if Orlando went after Ayton.

I'd do a future 1st and Torrey Craig for Anthony, which works financially. Anthony has 2 years left on his rookie deal and is making $3.6 million this year. Orlando has a lot of young frontcourt players and might like a veteran like Craig who can play the 3 plus they get a pick.
They could probably get Anthony and Isaac since their roster is crowded right now. It’s a risk given his durability issues but Mikal/Isaac on the wing is pretty lethal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could probably get Anthony and Isaac since their roster is crowded right now. It’s a risk given his durability issues but Mikal/Isaac on the wing is pretty lethal.

I like Isaac also. Wish we'd taken him over Josh Jackson but I doubt James Jones would have kept him long enough to come into his own. He hasn't fully showcased his talents yet due to his injuries but he looked really good before he got hurt in the bubble.

Isaac is a risk with what he's making but one I could be talked into. He's got 3 years and $60 million left on his contract but it's very team friendly. It's flat at $20 million a year but $2.6 million is in incentives where he must play 70 or more games to get it. The final year is non-guaranteed and next season is only guaranteed for $7.4 million.

Here's a link to details because it's really one of the most team friendly deals I've seen. Very low risk, financially.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Shamet isn't expiring, which is why I didn't include him. I'm not sure why Houston would to add salary beyond this season since that's when Gordon's deal expires, provided the team he's on doesn't win the championship.

I'd rather keep Crowder and Shamet, especially with picks being included as well. I believe they'd help more than Gordon, ultimately.
Ah right about the expiring. But attach a 1st?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah right about the expiring. But attach a 1st?

Players alone won't get Gordon. Houston has been asking for 1st round picks since the deadline last season for him. So moving multiple rotation players for him is questionable on it's own, depends on who those players are, but when picks are included then I'd decline at this time.

I'd prefer the Suns use their picks to bring in a better player. That becomes harder if we deal away a 1st for Gordon. Even if it doesn't have much value this year, it lessens any package and also changes future picks they can trade.

At the deadline though I'm fine with trading a 1st for a role player because I imagine all other avenues have been explored.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Players alone won't get Gordon. Houston has been asking for 1st round picks since the deadline last season for him. So moving multiple rotation players for him is questionable on it's own, depends on who those players are, but when picks are included then I'd decline at this time.

I'd prefer the Suns use their picks to bring in a better player. That becomes harder if we deal away a 1st for Gordon. Even if it doesn't have much value this year, it lessens any package and also changes future picks they can trade.

At the deadline though I'm fine with trading a 1st for a role player because I imagine all other avenues have been explored.
I agree with this strategy

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Would be nice to get Coby White. Not sure why Payne stopped producing last year, but if it wasn't a fluke we must get an upgrade on the PG position. Someone who can play a bit of defense, distribute the ball and hit the open shot. White has good size which is a plus.

Reaction score
As of now we are a worse team. This roster isn't as good as last years. If we get KD things change. If we don't get KD? This team has some work to do, or we are not getting back to the Finals.
I think this is correct. Paul is a year older; Book can't get much better, but wasn't good enough to carry the team in the playoffs. McGhee was sporadic but still when not fouling a defensive threat. I don't see Ayton or Cam Johnson as getting to another level.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is correct. Paul is a year older; Book can't get much better, but wasn't good enough to carry the team in the playoffs. McGhee was sporadic but still when not fouling a defensive threat. I don't see Ayton or Cam Johnson as getting to another level.
Yes, Paul is old and going to get even older. I have no idea what to expect from him this season especially after his lousy postseason.

But I could easily see Bridges, Ayton and CamJ each getting to another level. And I could easily see Saric returning to form and giving our bench a nice upgrade. And losing McGee does hurt a little but now we have Biyombo for a full season to offset some or all of that loss.

And Booker may not have been good enough to have carried us this past postseason but how many times could you say that same thing about every other player in the modern NBA? Fans were calling Giannis overrated and stuck him with the "can't carry his team in the playoffs" label just one season before he carried his team to a title.

On paper, we look to be about the same as we did entering last season. But everything came together and a good team suddenly played like they were a great team. And then they fell apart in the postseason. Improving on last season's win total is unlikely but improving on last season's playoff performance isn't out of reach of this roster even with the improvements of other teams.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, Paul is old and going to get even older. I have no idea what to expect from him this season especially after his lousy postseason.

But I could easily see Bridges, Ayton and CamJ each getting to another level. And I could easily see Saric returning to form and giving our bench a nice upgrade. And losing McGee does hurt a little but now we have Biyombo for a full season to offset some or all of that loss.

And Booker may not have been good enough to have carried us this past postseason but how many times could you say that same thing about every other player in the modern NBA? Fans were calling Giannis overrated and stuck him with the "can't carry his team in the playoffs" label just one season before he carried his team to a title.

On paper, we look to be about the same as we did entering last season. But everything came together and a good team suddenly played like they were a great team. And then they fell apart in the postseason. Improving on last season's win total is unlikely but improving on last season's playoff performance isn't out of reach of this roster even with the improvements of other teams.
I think the West is going to be tougher this year.

Minnesota, Nuggets, Pelicans, and Clippers all should be much better.

I can't say I am real optimistic just running it back.

However a couple moves like getting a Clarkson and Toppin would make me way more optimistic. I really find it hard to believe the Suns really think this roster is good enough to pay this much luxury tax on, because odds of it winning a championship as is are slim in my opinion.

It's time to use our picks and maximize the roster in CP3's likely last productive year.