"If I'm a loser for four consecutive seasons, then maybe I should examine it.

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
"I'm not one that looks out real long term for anything," Sarver said. "If I look out at the next 10 years, I don't see a lot changing. Having said that, if I'm doing real bad for an extended period of time, then maybe the city is better off without me.
"If I'm a loser for four consecutive seasons, then maybe I should examine it. This team is part of the city, and if you're not doing a good job at what you're doing, then maybe you have to get out."

Sarver to sell the franchise?

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/05/23/20090523bickleysuns0524.html

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I would give Robert Sarver a heck of a lot of credit if he manned up and admitted that he just doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA owner.

It takes a man to admit when he is in over his head.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I would give Robert Sarver a heck of a lot of credit if he manned up and admitted that he just doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA owner.

Agree 100%, but in this Suns fan's eyes, I can't forgive him for making stupid decisions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually if Sarver recognizes the mistakes he has made and does not repeat them, he may well be on his way to becoming a good owner.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's the owner's job to spend money, be in on the business decisions, and let the GM and coaches run the organization. Now, if he hires a bad GM, who can't select a decent coach, or draft picks, or make good deals, well.....

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Agree 100%, but in this Suns fan's eyes, I can't forgive him for making stupid decisions.

The sale of the first round pick was the first sign that he was in way over his head monetarily. Only because we are talking about Steve Kerr and Robert Sarver do I give any leniency.

Lets face it, it has been a disaster. But it would be a cool move if he admitted his mistakes and sold the team

cly2tw

Reaction score
The sale of the first round pick was the first sign that he was in way over his head monetarily. Only because we are talking about Steve Kerr and Robert Sarver do I give any leniency.

Lets face it, it has been a disaster. But it would be a cool move if he admitted his mistakes and sold the team

That exactly reflects his shortsightedness he himself seemed to be recognizing now. Well, DA's myopia nature was certainly a disasterous match with Sarver's to harm the franchise long term though.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's the owner's job to spend money, be in on the business decisions, and let the GM and coaches run the organization. Now, if he hires a bad GM, who can't select a decent coach, or draft picks, or make good deals, well.....

Perfect description of Steve Kerr, well done.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Umm... the story does not even suggest Sarver is thinking of selling. He says if he has 4 bad seasons in a row, maybe he should think about it. Then says; "I think I've had a pretty good five years," he said.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Yeah I think he means if they had a losing record for 4 seasons...

You guys are living in a dream world if you think someone that high up is going to admit fault.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He was giving an example of how failure could be defined while distancing himself from it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Umm... the story does not even suggest Sarver is thinking of selling. He says if he has 4 bad seasons in a row, maybe he should think about it. Then says; "I think I've had a pretty good five years," he said.

Exactly. The guy has an ego and doesn't like losing but the way franchise is going we may have some down years unless we get lucky. Kerr needs to make better decisions about personel and we need to build through the draft as there are some prospects out there that can help us. We also need to be able to attract a free agent or to that can have an impact on this team. We will have cap space in 2010 but if we are in a slump its going to be hard to get some of the big free agents, look at Steve Nash who is waiting to see what our future plans are before commiting to an extension.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When did we win the NBA Championship under Sarver? Hasn't he already had a quite a few bad seasons using that measure? ;)

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When did we win the NBA Championship under Sarver? Hasn't he already had a quite a few bad seasons using that measure? ;)

Using that measure, he could rightfully claim to have not failed as much as the previous ownership.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Sarver is a business man, he's a banker. He does not measure success with championships, but with profit.

Bad seasons to him mean seasons in the red.

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another quote from that article..

"I want us to be able to get back in the playoffs, and I want us to be competitive," Sarver said. "I think we can do that. Exactly how we do it, I don't know yet."

Sarver thinks he can get the Suns back to being competitive and in the playoffs? And he doesn't have a clue how we'll go about getting us there. Wow. How does he expect to convince season ticket holders to renew with that mentality? Seriously, he needs to sell the team now. It's obvious he's in way over his head.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sounds like my father in law whose been divorced 3 times now. He confided in me that maybe he's the problem and isn't cut out for marriage. Fast forward to a year later where he's now engaged for the 4th time.

When people are surrounded by yes-men they never truly face reality

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using that measure, he could rightfully claim to have not failed as much as the previous ownership.

Valid retort. We don't get to choose owners. Never have. I never get too worked up about ownership even though it is critical. We vote by spending or withholding our money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Here's another quote from that article..

Sarver thinks he can get the Suns back to being competitive and in the playoffs? And he doesn't have a clue how we'll go about getting us there. Wow.

Um, he doesn't have to. He hired Steve Kerr and kept David Griffin on to do that.

Make up your damn minds people! Do you or do you not want Sarver making all these decisions?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Um, he doesn't have to. He hired Steve Kerr and kept David Griffin on to do that.

Make up your damn minds people! Do you or do you not want Sarver making all these decisions?
So what in your mind constitutes a quality owner?
One with deep pockets and a top notch GM, etc...?
Or is it more than that?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So what in your mind constitutes a quality owner?
One with deep pockets and a top notch GM, etc...?
Or is it more than that?

On one hand, everyone would love an owner with deep pockets and the will to spend for players.

On the other hand, that leads to situations exactly like we are facing now--high-priced and overpaid players.

A top-notch GM, IMO, is much more important than an owner who is willing to spend above the cap.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On one hand, everyone would love an owner with deep pockets and the will to spend for players.

On the other hand, that leads to situations exactly like we are facing now--high-priced and overpaid players.

A top-notch GM, IMO, is much more important than an owner who is willing to spend above the cap.
I agree. Its about having good basketball people in position to make solid basketball decisions. The ability or inability of an owner to spend $$$ obviously is a factor, but ultimately, it is how that $$$ is spent....not necessarily how much $$$ is spent.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

You have to have both. Even top GMs are going to make mistakes sometimes, and the easiest way to recover from those mistakes is to spend more money. For example, it's looking likely that the Lakers made a mistake by giving Bynum a maximum extension a full year in advance, when he had looked good for really only a couple of months. But because they're willing to spend luxury tax, they don't really have to worry about being trapped behind his contract. Counting luxury tax, Bynum is going to cost them $25 million next season, and most teams couldn't dream of affording him at that price. Put a "budget-conscious" team in the same situation, and they'd be making horrible cost-cutting trades, or facing letting Gasol go, or pulling their punches in the summer free agent market.

Going back a few years, the Suns made a mistake with the Quentin Richardson signing. But, while they were still willing to spend big money, they erased that mistake by swapping Richardson for Kurt Thomas. It was only once the purse strings were tightened that the wheels came off.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn