I dunno, do we really see it with Kyler?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the talent and I see the improvement and I see the areas where he still needs improvement.

If he can take the next step, and I feel he will, yeah he's going to be a REALLY good QB.

First half of last year he was not running backwards nearly as often but he kind of reverted 2nd half of the season. He has to learn to safely throw the ball away. In the Rams game not just the one in the endzone which was terrible but the play where he threw the screen that deflected off Conner. That's a play where the pressure got to him too quickly. If you can't safely get the ball to Conner, throw it into the ground at his feet not high where it gets tipped and picked.

But he has as good a deep ball as anybody in the NFL, he's laser accurate in his favorite areas and improving in others. I think Hollywood is going to really help him because he's a legit take the top off the defense guy which Kyler throws well. Kirk caught several of those but I think Hollywood is pretty elite at it catches over 40 yards there's just not that many out there that can do it. He reminds me of Mel Gray the ex Card small but insanely fast and just the acceleration. he's not a complete WR but I think his strength matches up well with Kyler and if the reports are true about Rondale being a bigger part of the offense I think we're going to stretch the field often.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m hoping we see far less panic, less failing to throw the ball away and stepping out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, and learning to step up in the pocket instead of just taking off…
I think you’ve focus on my key concern; poise under fire. Murray is a great athlete. That’s not in question. Can he be a great leader? You watch other top QBs and the vast majority show calmness when pressed. At some point Murray needs to develop this trait to take the Cards to the top level.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think you’ve focus on my key concern; poise under fire. Murray is a great athlete. That’s not in question. Can he be a great leader? You watch other top QBs and the vast majority show calmness when pressed. At some point Murray needs to develop this trait to take the Cards to the top level.
He also needs to play near his peak when he's not 100%. The difference between totally healthy Kyler and dinged up Kyler has been stark.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He also needs to play near his peak when he's not 100%. The difference between totally healthy Kyler and dinged up Kyler has been stark.
I believe with his size that may not be as feasible as we would like. Big Ben could do that but he was huge. Kyler isn't big and is play style isn't really suited for it either. He isn't polished as a pocket passer yet so it may be more up to the team to make sure he is 100% before putting him back out there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I believe with his size that may not be as feasible as we would like. Big Ben could do that but he was huge. Kyler isn't big and is play style isn't really suited for it either. He isn't polished as a pocket passer yet so it may be more up to the team to make sure he is 100% before putting him back out there.
If he can't learn to play hurt, he'll never be worth what he's being paid. All players get banged up as the season goes on. Barring season-ending injury, any QB who wants to be good has to play through it at times. He'll have to as well.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my views on Kyler are complex.

I believe he needs to be better in certain situations -- and i think reading post-snap D is the biggest area. If that improves - i think the pocket stuff becomes way less important.

I think we have to accept his limitations. He will never stand in like Carson Palmer and take a big hit to deliver a pass, or, stand in with people around his legs, etc to deliver a pass. The quickness, elusiveness, mobility etc the benefits the team also has a tradeoff -- and thats it.

all that said: I still think he lifts the offense beyond what its talent implies. Ive made this point before, but of the 14 playoff teams last year at the time of the playoffs: i dont think the Cards had an offensive position group in the top 4 of those teams (TE maybe?) -- and most were in the bottom 3.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Hudson struggled with them all year. Hopefully he's better at it but I also think it says we need to be under C more, also allows us to do more play action.
KK is evolving, but it was just a couple days ago that he said his offense will predominantly be run out of shotgun. But, who knows, maybe we’ll see more under C this year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is fair. Not only is Kyler a great athlete, but since he’s the only professional athlete to ever get drafted in the top 10 in 2 sports, one can say he may be the greatest overall athlete ever. I would recommend listening to a recent Dave Pasch podcast where he’s interviewing Dusty Dvoracek. Dusty gives great insight into Kyler. It’s almost an hour long & it was very good. Does Kyler need to improve his maturity & leadership? Of course he does. He just turned 25 though. Give him weapons (which we’ve done), protect him (jury still out), and this kid can do incredible things.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is fair. Not only is Kyler a great athlete, but since he’s the only professional athlete to ever get drafted in the top 10 in 2 sports, one can say he may be the greatest overall athlete ever. I would recommend listening to a recent Dave Pasch podcast where he’s interviewing Dusty Dvoracek. Dusty gives great insight into Kyler. It’s almost an hour long & it was very good. Does Kyler need to improve his maturity & leadership? Of course he does. He just turned 25 though. Give him weapons (which we’ve done), protect him (jury still out), and this kid can do incredible things.
I wonder at what age we stop bringing up a fourth year vet’s age?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder at what age we stop bringing up a fourth year vet’s age?
Don’t worry. When I think it’s Murray’s fault why we faulter, then I will be on home like white on rice. He’s still the best young Cardinal QB I have ever seen & I’ve been around a lot longer than you have. Didn’t your parents teach you to listen to and respect your elders;)