I Am Legend (reboot)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Am Legend (reboot)

Warner Bros Connects With iPhone Salesman/Scribe’s Pitch For ‘I Am Legend’ Reboot

http://deadline.com/2014/10/i-am-le...phone-salesman-warner-bros-will-smith-844507/

After years of trying, Warner Bros finally has found a way to extend its hit Will Smith last-man-on-Earth blockbuster I Am Legend into a potential new franchise. The studio is working on a reboot that isn’t meant to star Smith, who has been reluctant to do sequels and so far has avoided a reprise in Independence Day 2. Warner is retrofitting A Garden At The End Of The World, a spec script that the studio bought back in April from Gary Graham, who was working at the Apple store in midtown Manhattan when he posted his script on the Black List website and got the attention of CAA and manager Brooklyn Weaver. They signed him and sent his script out. Amid several bids, Warner Bros acquired what was described as a sci-fi version of John Wayne’s The Searchers. When Graham was brought in to rewrite his script, the studio by then had talked to the I Am Legend producers and noted enough similarities to the themes and mythology of that film that they asked the scribe to consider a redraft to fit that property.

----------------------------------

Why not, Warner Bros.? After all - it has been 7 years since the Will Smith film was released...

:grabs:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unoriginal Hollywood is vastly unoriginal. It's bad enough to "reboot" a franchise 20 years after the original debuted(Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm St.) but this rebooting stuff a few years after is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a tip: just read the book. It is about 200 pages tops.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Sheesh, I'm getting lapped. I haven't even seen the original yet.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ending of the newer movie screwed the pooch for me. Could have been a pretty good franchise in the making IMO. So many places to go. I don't really care if they do a reboot or not. As long as it's good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is a story that's been made at least 3 separate times over the years, so another one isn't really a surprise.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was liking the movie before he had to kill his dog. That just ended it for me. I just didn't get why he didn't put him in a cage like he did with the rats and try to cure him rather then kill him. Can't stand the movie now.

I guess it didn't help watching it about month after putting my dog down either.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they are going to base if off the alternate ending from the DVD.

The sequel, however, will follow the alternate ending that wasn't shown in theaters.

Though Smith's character dies at the conclusion of "I Am Legend," filmmakers gave viewers an alternate ending, which is somewhat happier, that can be found on DVD and on some streaming options.

In the ending that wasn't included in the theatrical cut, the zombies leave Smith's Neville alone once he returns the body he was testing the cure on back to them. Smith, Anna and her son travel to Vermont to spread the cure.

Goldsman told Deadline that the sequel will start "a few decades" after the first film and lean into the alternate ending.

"I’m obsessed with 'The Last of Us,' where we see the world just post-apocalypse but also after a 20-30-year lapse," Goldsman said. "You see how the earth reclaims the world, and there’s something beautiful in the question of, as man steps away from being the primary tenant, what happens?"

He added: "We trace back to the original Matheson book, and the alternate ending as opposed to the released ending in the original film. What Matheson was talking about was that man’s time on the planet as the dominant species had come to an end. That’s a really interesting thing we’re going to get to explore. There will be a little more fidelity to the original text."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they are going to base if off the alternate ending from the DVD.

I heard this. Which is funny because I bet most casual fans have never seen the alternate ending. At the very least they should have re-released the film with that ending in it first.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard this. Which is funny because I bet most casual fans have never seen the alternate ending. At the very least they should have re-released the film with that ending in it first.
Yeah… general viewing audience gonna be real confused. Their best bet is to start the new movie with alternate ending and then go years later. Trying to explain that away with dialogue is gonna be uber weird.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard