Reaction score
Blinded by the Light

Release date: August 16, 2019
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Directors: Gurinder Chadha, Gurinder Chadha
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: Sarfraz Manzoor
Genre: Drama, Musical

Starring: Viveik Kalra, Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Ganatra, Nell Williams, Aaron Phagura, Hayley Atwell, Dean-Charles Chapman

Plot Summary: The film tells the story of Javed, a British teen of Pakistani descent growing up in the town of Luton, England, in 1987. Amidst the racial and economic turmoil of the times, he writes poetry as a means to escape the intolerance of his hometown and the inflexibility of his traditional father. But when a classmate introduces him to the music of Bruce Springsteen, Javed sees parallels to his working-class life in the powerful lyrics. As Javed discovers a cathartic outlet for his own pent-up dreams, he also begins to find the courage to express himself in his own unique voice.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, this isn't getting any love? Saw it in a matinee yesterday and found it amazing. Head and shoulders above Yesterday. Whereas Yesterday was humdrum, paint-by-the-numbers, easy to see where it was going, this was not. Each time I thought, "Okay, this is where X happens, where X trope comes in," I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Granted, a few of the broader brush strokes were obvious, and one bit was a little "ugh," but overall this movie delivered.

The Dad's conversion was obviously going to happen, but it was a bit too total for my tastes. Suddenly wanting to listen to Bruce Springstein? Naw.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Wow, this isn't getting any love? Saw it in a matinee yesterday and found it amazing. Head and shoulders above Yesterday. Whereas Yesterday was humdrum, paint-by-the-numbers, easy to see where it was going, this was not. Each time I thought, "Okay, this is where X happens, where X trope comes in," I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Granted, a few of the broader brush strokes were obvious, and one bit was a little "ugh," but overall this movie delivered.

The Dad's conversion was obviously going to happen, but it was a bit too total for my tastes. Suddenly wanting to listen to Bruce Springstein? Naw.
It amazing indeed! Loved this one. It had so much heart. Definitely a fun watch.

The scene when he listens to Bruce for the first time was one of the best scenes I've seen in a while. I had to back up and watch that scene twice.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just realized I never commented on this one.

Really liked it. My uncle used to drive Bruce and his band around when they hit clubs up and down the CA coast. Got to see Bruce several times with my uncle (before he was killed). Some awesome memories of those times.

Won a digital copy of this movie in a contest. Will definitely be rewatching it every once in a while.