I’m not convinced….

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not being a Debbie Downer here but it’s going to take some time to win me over. We heard a lot about how marginal a team the Raiders were.

They did everything in their power to hand us this game. They went into prevent defense in the second half. They had stupid penalties especially when things started going south. They started “ running out the clock” in the 3rd quarter.

I’m not taking anything away from the Cardinals performance, but it took the execution of EVERY play to win this game. And this against a team most claim is a sub-par team.

Even while winning this game we shot ourselves in the foot several times. Clock mismanagement, burning time outs and drop passes does not lead to sustainable wins. And let’s face it, you cannot plan on a 60 yard fumble return to win a game.

If we miss one 2 pt. conversion the narrative on this board and media would be a whole lot different.

So forgive me if I don’t jump into the Red Sea head first. I’m still in show me stage. We haven’t had a damn thing to cheer about since January…technically November. They gave us an adrenaline shot yesterday and most are still on the adrenaline high, and that’s okay. I’m just not quite ready to make plans for the playoffs quite yet.

Last edited:

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
The way I see the game is that it gives the Cardinals a 1-1 record during the 6 games Hop is out. I really was expecting Cards to go 0-6 or 1-5 (still could do this). I’m not expecting Hop to be the savior of the team, but he will give the offense a big emotional lift. That could resonate with other parts of the team. When Hop returns there will be 11 games left on the schedule, so games won in his absence are a plus.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I see the game is that it gives the Cardinals a 1-1 record during the 6 games Hop is out. I really was expecting Cards to go 0-6 or 1-5 (still could do this). I’m not expecting Hop to be the savior of the team, but he will give the offense a big emotional lift. That could resonate with other parts of the team. When Hop returns there will be 11 games left on the schedule, so games won in his absence are a plus.
I hear ya, but other players need to step up. It’s not like we have to play with just 10 players on offense. It’s up to the coach and your Qb to play to the strengths of the available players. Dortch is the perfect example of this.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still on an adrenaline high, I'm not convinced moving forward & also still in the "show me" phase. However, that last quarter was so damn fun yet intense yesterday lol. We had our entire starting OL & they kept Chandler Jones away from Kyler which is a good start, hopefully that continues against the Rams & Donald on Sunday? We got JJ back, Dortch looks to be an important piece, Eno & Williams looked good after Conner went out, AJ & Ertz got going finally, Collins played every snap & we got players coming back as early as Sunday reportedly. I'll take it.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was an incredible finish and win for the Cards and an abysmal crap the bed finish for the Raiders. I am happy the Cards are 1-1 and Kyler showed the grit and determination that he needs to play with.
As far as "convinced", I am not convinced this team can make the playoffs and I'm still in the 7-10 mode. But, yesterday was a damn good win.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True! They won despite Kliffs ineptitude! Kyler bailed him out without a doubt
You keep saying this, but Kliff is into his 4th season and doesn't have a losing record along with being the 9th winningest coach in Cardinals 100 plus year history. Also, everyone keeps staying the roster is horrible. So, is the roster horrible and Kliff might be an good coach or is this roster good enough to win despite its horrible coaching. You can't have both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep saying this, but Kliff is into his 4th session doesn't have a losing record and is the 9th winningest coach in Cardinals 100 plus year history. Also, everyone keeps staying the roster is horrible. So, is the roster horrible and Kliff might be a good coach or is this roster good enough to win despite its horrible coaching. You can't have both.
Buckybruce I think fans get frustrated with wasted time outs, delay penalties and wide receiver screens.
I’ve been harping on using more crossing routes and getting Kyler under center more often. It seems too many times our wr’s run straight routes and turn which is all based on timing. However, hit a guy like Dortch crossing the field leads to YAC.

We seem to do that more in the second half.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buckybruce I think fans get frustrated with wasted time outs, delay penalties and wide receiver screens.
I’ve been harping on using more crossing routes and getting Kyler under center more often. It seems too many times our wr’s run straight routes and turn which is all based on timing. However, hit a guy like Dortch crossing the field leads to YAC.

We seem to do that more in the second half.
I get it and and that's why I said good, not great. He seems to learn form mistakes and has made improvements each year. He's 43 and had a lot of growing yet to do, but does seem to be continuing to grow along side his QB despite roster/injury/suspension issues. We can have thr worst GM/Roster but also the worst coach and boy have a losing record over the last few seasons.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
I'm not convinced either. There are upsets every year and this may be one of them this year. An underwhelming offseason and an accumulation of draft errors (Keim), playcalling that is decidedly NOT revolutionary and failure to effectively adjust in game (Kliff/Joseph), and the culture of ineptitude and cheapness (Bidwill) have drained my hope for this season. I'm in wait and see mode.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Winning against a good team -- albeit a flawed one -- isnt easy. Dont apologize for a win. There will be a game (or games) this season where the team plays really well and loses.

that being said:

After a full offseason of Isiah Simmons being the center of the defense, you get a complete 180 after one game? Thats a coaching issue.

the play clock issues are making me crazy. IMO -- this is a 80% Kyler issue / 20% sideline management.

AJ Green. We have seen WRs where the legs go as they get older, but the hands? Also -- in a league where it seems WRs nearly 100% in getting two feet in on catches along the sideline, AJ steps out on a big play.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was a great comeback, which highlights the fact that if our D remotely shows up, we have a chance to win games. Will that continue to happen? NO. Until VJ figures out how to get steady contributions from our defensive draft picks, this D will be a huge liability. Factor in that KK is not a HC at any level, and that our OL still stinks, then our wins will be 100% dependent on Murray being able to escape 2-3 on most every play. Our offense cannot be consistently better until we replace Harlow & Beachum on that OL & we have Hop & Moore making major contribution. Beachum is TOAST. He was embarrassed all day in both our games. Jones needs to be starting on that right side. Way TOO much has to be fixed for us to win consistently. But, great comeback yesterday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt any of us are convinced. I will say I don't buy they went into a prevent they were playing 2 deep safeties the whole first half too the difference was we couldn't block Maxx Crosby and he wrecked our playbook, and the defense couldn't get off the field.

2nd half we handled Crosby better, ran some misdirection to make him stay home, used TE's or RB's to chip him. Other than the play where he destroyed Maxx Williams he was far less a factor in the 2nd half. And we had the ball and they didn't so they had to defend us when tired and Kyler took over.

I don't think that was a case of them going prevent it was a case of us making enough changes on offense to neutralize Crosby.

If you watch the first few drives he just killed us.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
So forgive me if I don’t jump into the Red Sea head first. I’m still in show me stage. We haven’t had a damn thing to cheer about since January…technically November. They gave us an adrenaline shot yesterday and most are still on the adrenaline high, and that’s okay. I’m just not quite ready to make plans for the playoffs quite yet.

Nor should you but try to enjoy it for a few days. :newcards:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree. Amazing win but it was an absolute perfect storm of events. The number is little things that had to go right to win this were crazy. The 2 point conversions alone would never succeed again in those scenario's.
It's kind of like what Dr Strange says on Infinity War, out of 14 million scenario's there is only one in which we win. And that was the one. It would probably never happen again.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a great comeback, which highlights the fact that if our D remotely shows up, we have a chance to win games. Will that continue to happen? NO. Until VJ figures out how to get steady contributions from our defensive draft picks, this D will be a huge liability. Factor in that KK is not a HC at any level, and that our OL still stinks, then our wins will be 100% dependent on Murray being able to escape 2-3 on most every play. Our offense cannot be consistently better until we replace Harlow & Beachum on that OL & we have Hop & Moore making major contribution. Beachum is TOAST. He was embarrassed all day in both our games. Jones needs to be starting on that right side. Way TOO much has to be fixed for us to win consistently. But, great comeback yesterday.

I don't know how much Jones played when Hump got hurt but other than one play I didn't really notice him which is generally good for an OT. Crosby is a beast so not a huge surprise that Beachum got tore apart like that but in the first half it was pretty brutal.

Oen thing with the shortage at WR we seemed to play more 2 and even at times I think 3TE, I think that had a lot to do with Crosby being slowed down in the 2nd half. It's what I expected to see against KC but we fell behind so fast we couldn't do it.

I hope we do that against the Rams too.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An amazing win and don’t understand how any fan couldn’t be elated after this game. The rest of the season is a different story.
A team that manages the clock so poorly, has Marco Wilson and Trace Whitaker in the secondary and continually commits costly penalties is not one that makes you confident. Our tackling is poor and our RT has become a turnstile. Our coach runs around panicked all game and our QB can go on the blink at any time. Lots to address but still loved this game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose