Humphries tore his ACL

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet that MHJ, Nabers, & Odunze will not fall out of the top 10 unless medicals say otherwise. Better start looking at Brian Thomas Jr & Adonai Mitchell. They’re very good prospects too.

I'd be more than fine with Brian Thomas with the Texans pick

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You’re Big Mad that the numbers your submitted didn’t actually support your point. I didn’t bring up ADP.

No one is saying RT is as important as LT; the numbers make a pretty compelling case that it’s closer than a lot of people think.
Believe me, I'm not mad one bit.
The numbers, sans 1 outlier, do support my point but it's not that important.

My point was you don't draft RT's high in round 1 because it's not of positional value. That's why I'm saying Monti is an idiot if he drafted PJJ to be the RT moving forward and drafting another OT in the top 6 is a mistake.

You know who plays RT, guys that aren't athletic enough or have the feet to play LT. I think PJJ does have the ability and athleticism to play LT. You know who didn't, Dawand Jones and he was drafted in round 4 at 111 but was a pretty good rookie RT too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting permanent RTs in the top 10 is so Cardinals.

There is no difference between a RT and LT now, or if there is it's so minor as to barely register.

This isn't the 80's where teams would have one good pass rusher and he'd play on the blind side. Teams have good rushers both sides now, and they often switch sides frequently in game.

Darnell Wright, Penei Sewell, Evan Neal, and Mike McGlinchey have all been drafted top 10 in recent years and played RT. More than LT looking at the list. And while not quite top 10 Wirfs has been elite since being a rookie and played at RT until this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as a comparison Bakhtiari did his ACL in week 17 of 2020, had surgery on Jan 7th and didn't get activated off PUP until Nov 10th.

He then had swelling which required arthroscopic surgery and didn't see the field until week 18 but played only 27 snaps and missed the rest of the postseason.

These can be messy for big O linemen. At best we might see him by midseason, but there is a very good chance he could miss the whole year.

I think that is the last we see of him. I really like Hump, great dude, but it was time to eat the dead money and move on before the injury.

This pretty much cements OT with a high pick. The only questions are whether Paris moves over or not and we take a tackle with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
There is no difference between a RT and LT now, or if there is it's so minor as to barely register.

This isn't the 80's where teams would have one good pass rusher and he'd play on the blind side. Teams have good rushers both sides now, and they often switch sides frequently in game.

Darnell Wright, Penei Sewell, Evan Neal, and Mike McGlinchey have all been drafted top 10 in recent years and played RT. More than LT looking at the list. And while not quite top 10 Wirfs has been elite since being a rookie and played at RT until this year.
If Wirfs has been "elite at RT" why did they move him to LT if there of the same value? Other than Sewell, who will also move to LT after Decker is gone, those other guys weren't drafted to play RT, they just weren't good enough to play LT and were moved.

C'mon, it's not that difficult of a concept. There's a reason the better OT's play LT. They are protecting the blindside of the QB and HAVE to be better. That's also why the majority of the best pass rushers are from the blindisde. Pretty much common sense.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting permanent RTs in the top 10 is so Cardinals.
I mean, nothing will be “so cardinals” more than drafting a ILB in the top 10 & most of this board was happy about it. In a league with a lot of freakish pass-rushers that plays both sides, I’d be more than happy drafting the best OT whether they play LT or RT.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

My point was you don't draft RT's high in round 1 because it's not of positional value. That's why I'm saying Monti is an idiot if he drafted PJJ to be the RT moving forward and drafting another OT in the top 6 is a mistake.

You know who plays RT, guys that aren't athletic enough or have the feet to play LT. I think PJJ does have the ability and athleticism to play LT. You know who didn't, Dawand Jones and he was drafted in round 4 at 111 but was a pretty good rookie RT too.

Tristan Wirfs and Lane Johnson come to mind as high draft picks that play or played RT for several years.

Lane Johnson played LT for 2-3 years and then the rest of his career at RT.
Wirfs played every year at RT until this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
With everything I'm saying, I think Alt and Fashanu will be good players. And I wouldn't be totally upset if they were chosen if Marvin is gone because I'm not sure who else would be worthy of a top 4 pick. If a defensive player was close, I'd take that player but I would trade back if possible. Taking an OT would just make passing on Wil Anderosn for PJJ sting a bit more.

Taking one of them over Marvin is cause for firing.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
With everything I'm saying, I think Alt and Fashanu will be good players. And I wouldn't be totally upset if they were chosen if Marvin is gone because I'm not sure who else would be worthy of a top 4 pick. If a defensive player was close, I'd take that player but I would trade back if possible. Taking an OT would just make passing on Wil Anderosn for PJJ sting a bit more.

I think this echoes more or less how I feel.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Taking anyone over MHJ with our pick should be fireable… however if he’s gone, it wouldn’t be the worse thing (prob the safest thing) to have 2 elite tackles locked up for the next 4-5 years

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think the Humphries injury change their plan, i think they were going tò draft a tackle early, probably now they are going to sign also a veteran average tackle in free agency as an insurance
The Humphries future with the cardinals?
A logical plan in terms of football business should be cutting him and free up cap space
I dont remember, what they did with Maxx Williams After his brutal injury?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least there is SOME time to evaluate how the surgery goes and the start of the rehab. I believe they were planning to keep him. So, they will hope he is healing well. They do have Beachum, who has been an adequate NFL starter. That said, they had to be planning for the future anyhow. I was expecting either a younger free agent or a draft pick pretty early in the draft, but not first round.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He's under contract for 2024 and 2025 right now, but he has no guaranteed salary in either season. We'd save a little over $9 million on the cap by releasing him and save nearly $16 million in 2024 cap money if we designate him a June 1st cut.

I don't recall if you can release an injured player in this situation, but it's certainly possible if extremely cold-blooded.
Would require an injury settlement if released

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least there is SOME time to evaluate how the surgery goes and the start of the rehab. I believe they were planning to keep him. So, they will hope he is healing well. They do have Beachum, who has been an adequate NFL starter. That said, they had to be planning for the future anyhow. I was expecting either a younger free agent or a draft pick pretty early in the draft, but not first round.
I heard some rumors here in early December saying Monti was thinking about drafting a tackle with the first pick

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah. There's no actual rush to kick him to the curb; we probably won't need the cap space until late in free agency, his salary isn't guaranteed, so as long as he's not on the active roster Week 1 you're not committed to anything.

It's frustrating that we're going to have a hole in the roster where I (at least) expected to have a known quantity.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Monti drafted a tackle. He is a potential future LT who has settled well at RT in his first season. If not for DJ's injury, that is likely where he'd have played in 2024—a solid tandem. Now, things have changed, and decisions have to be made. Do they move Paris to LT... and return Beachum to RT... do they find a new serviceable RT and keep Beachum at swing tackle... do they draft a LT?

IDIOCY (a doubtful term) would be not having these options that commenced with the drafting of Paris.

1. Alt/Fashanu - FA - Froholdt - Hernandez - Paris

0r

2. Paris - FA - Froholdt - Hernandez - Beachum (or FA, or Draft)

I'll take lineup #1.

IF Marvin Jr. is the pick, it's option two by default.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's totally sensible. The eras of football are pretty intensely different, and I'd even say it's rarer to find top-end tackle prospects than ever, since the spread and air raid offenses (in college) trashed what an NFL tackle prospect looks like. But we just picked the guy (Paris Johnson Jr.) who was supposed to be the rock on on our line for a decade.

Levi Brown was just the most "sigh, okay, I guess because we have nothing else, and failed to plan for this" pick in Cardinals history at my age. I was screaming for Peterson.

I know they might be great, but I don't feel confident they lead to wins.
We were in the same boat. Though I think about every dominant run game and I think about their dominant lines and I dream about being able to impose our will on other teams offensively. That starts with the oline. We’ve never built a dominant one. I’d like to try it on for size.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were in the same boat. Though I think about every dominant run game and I think about their dominant lines and I dream about being able to impose our will on other teams offensively. That starts with the oline. We’ve never built a dominant one. I’d like to try it on for size.
I agree 100%. There is nothing more demoralizing than knowing that a team is going to run the ball and not being able to stop it. I would love to build this team around a dominant OL and run game.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Wirfs has been "elite at RT" why did they move him to LT if there of the same value? Other than Sewell, who will also move to LT after Decker is gone, those other guys weren't drafted to play RT, they just weren't good enough to play LT and were moved.

C'mon, it's not that difficult of a concept. There's a reason the better OT's play LT. They are protecting the blindside of the QB and HAVE to be better. That's also why the majority of the best pass rushers are from the blindisde. Pretty much common sense.

Because the BUCS released Donovan Smith and he was the best available on the roster.

P.S. WIRFS move to LT has not been painless.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The discussion isn't "played" RT, it's drafted to be a permanent RT. And there is certainly a big enough difference, or you wouldn't need to be much more athletic and mobile to play LT than RT.

Stout

Reaction score
I mean, nothing will be “so cardinals” more than drafting a ILB in the top 10 & most of this board was happy about it. In a league with a lot of freakish pass-rushers that plays both sides, I’d be more than happy drafting the best OT whether they play LT or RT.
It's a matter of the player sometimes, not the position. If, in the day, we had drafted Patrick Willis in the top 10, I would have been pleased as punch. Simmons...my my, was I and others wrong on him! But, by and large, you are correct about drafting ILBers high.

Stout

Reaction score
Please remember that Stout is very old and still believes the world is flat. ;)
Meaning what? That the pro bowl should be about the best players? It's okay if it isn't, but someone tried to poo poo that notion, and thinking it's not a popularity contest these days is about as far fetched as, well, thinking the world is flat.

Oh, and ;)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meaning what? That the pro bowl should be about the best players? It's okay if it isn't, but someone tried to poo poo that notion, and thinking it's not a popularity contest these days is about as far fetched as, well, thinking the world is flat.

Oh, and ;)
Ha. Old like believing that there is a huge difference between RT and LT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard