Humphries tore his ACL

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
pardon the dumb question but is that pretty much it for him in cardinal uniform ? I thought maybe he had some years left on his deal

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
pardon the dumb question but is that pretty much it for him in cardinal uniform ? I thought maybe he had some years left on his deal
He has 2 years left on his contract, but team has an out after this year - no additional guaranteed money coming and a modest dead cap hit (cutting him would free up about $9M in cap space).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's under contract for 2024 and 2025 right now, but he has no guaranteed salary in either season. We'd save a little over $9 million on the cap by releasing him and save nearly $16 million in 2024 cap money if we designate him a June 1st cut.

I don't recall if you can release an injured player in this situation, but it's certainly possible if extremely cold-blooded.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He's under contract for 2024 and 2025 right now, but he has no guaranteed salary in either season. We'd save a little over $9 million on the cap by releasing him and save nearly $16 million in 2024 cap money if we designate him a June 1st cut.

I don't recall if you can release an injured player in this situation, but it's certainly possible if extremely cold-blooded.
He was a question mark due to his salary and performance pre injury - this just made the decision all the more easy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He was a question mark due to his salary and performance pre injury - this just made the decision all the more easy.
I disagree. Even if we drafted a tackle with our #1 pick, I think he would've been the starter this year. I have little faith in PJJ making the transition and being better than Humphries in 2024 or a rookie coming in and being better than Humphries + rookie at LG next year.

He's a captain and a home-grown player.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I disagree. Even if we drafted a tackle with our #1 pick, I think he would've been the starter this year.
I think if we drafted a tackle at #1 and after drafting PJJ in the previous year you'd definitely see Hump either cut or traded. Too much money/resources tied up in tackles.

A starting quality swing tackle just isn't a luxury this team can afford. Hump is done for 2024 too, so why not save the money/replace this year?
I have little faith in PJJ making the transition and being better than Humphries in 2024 or a rookie coming in and being better than Humphries + rookie at LG next year.
I think you can get 90% of Hump's production at 60% of the cost. I don't think his absence or presence makes a huge difference either way.
Ok - so you're going to pay him not to play this year?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I disagree. Even if we drafted a tackle with our #1 pick, I think he would've been the starter this year. I have little faith in PJJ making the transition and being better than Humphries in 2024 or a rookie coming in and being better than Humphries + rookie at LG next year.

Are you saying if we drafted an OT #1 - DJ would have still started at LT? If so, disagree.

I think we sign a veteran LG as a starter.

There will be no drop off from Paris to DJ next year and Paris is already WAY better than Humphries earlier in his career.

Losing the leadership of DJ is huge tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard