Humphries tore his ACL

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
it feels like OT at #4 and WR at #17 produces better overall talent

than

WR at #4 and OT at #17
I think it mostly depends on what you are looking for and what you feel you have/need.

If you think PJJ is a LT. Draft Nabers and then Fuaga/Mims.

If you don't, draft Alt/Fashanu and then Brian Thomas Jr/Keon Coleman (I think Odunze is gone by the Texans pick).

For me, I am more inclined to take whatever combo gets me MHJ and if he is gone, I would be looking to trade up from the Texans pick to get Odunze. I am in the the camp of MHJ is tier 1. Nabers and Odunze are tier 2. About 5 dudes are in tier 3.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Penn St on the left. Ohio St on the right.

Really sucks for Hump. A great success story and a great personality.

And with it being his outside leg (not his get off leg), he could be back in September IMO with a brace if its just the ACL and nothing more. Just some hopeful optimism there.

Also.... you can find WR's in free agency. Finding high caliber tackles is almost impossible.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would rather draft Olu/Alt & leave PJJ at RT before anything else.
The least moving parts for sure. Passing on MHJ or Nabers could play a part tho.
If we can get Marvin at 4 I'd rather reach for Mims and just see whoever works at LT better between him and PJJ.

This team needs high end superstar talent. Take it and hope of the "projects" figures it out on the other side or maybe PJJ slides into guard.

Although at least on PFF mock simulator Odunze has been slipping to 17 lately. So that would help with the Olu/Alt debate.

Might be forced to move up with the Texans pick before the run on Wrs take place. Unless guys like Thomas and Devontez Walker really emerge post combine.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Paris may also determine if we trade or stand pat. If he can be the LT, we trade back a few slots...draft an Odunze...then grab a Verse with the texans pick...and maybe a Mims in the second...would be nice to pick up an additional 2nd round pick to drop back a few spots..
would love Harrison... but I think MO will capitalize on the value if he is there much like he did last season. This is a good draft and an additional 2nd can really help the team going forward.
Mo better quit trading down and passing on impact players. I watched Will Anderson destroy the Titans last week and he's only going to get better. Passing on Anderson and Harrison is a great way to keep your team from becoming excellent. You can always get good players. Elite players are hard to come by.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Why? RTs are nearly as valuable as LTs now.
Not even close. Name the last RT to be drafted in the top 10 with the intention of keeping him there. Lane Johnson is it and that was 11 years ago. PJJ was drafted to be a LT and so were Sewell and Wirfs as Wirfs has already moved.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not even close. Name the last RT to be drafted in the top 10 with the intention of keeping him there. Lane Johnson is it and that was 11 years ago. PJJ was drafted to be a LT and so were Sewell and Wirfs as Wirfs has already moved.
Median top 10 LT contract APY: $19 million
Median top 10 RT contract APY: $18.5 million

Obviously you draft differently than you invest cap money, but there are good arguments on both sides.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that MHJ, Nabers, & Odunze will not fall out of the top 10 unless medicals say otherwise. Better start looking at Brian Thomas Jr & Adonai Mitchell. They’re very good prospects too.
I would not be sad if MHJ was already gone at 4 and we had to draft Brian Thomas Jr for the 2nd 1st round pick... (other than the fact that we won another meaningless game at the end of the year and missed out on MHJ of course)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think it mostly depends on what you are looking for and what you feel you have/need.

If you think PJJ is a LT. Draft Nabers and then Fuaga/Mims.

If you don't, draft Alt/Fashanu and then Brian Thomas Jr/Keon Coleman (I think Odunze is gone by the Texans pick).

For me, I am more inclined to take whatever combo gets me MHJ and if he is gone, I would be looking to trade up from the Texans pick to get Odunze. I am in the the camp of MHJ is tier 1. Nabers and Odunze are tier 2. About 5 dudes are in tier 3.
I wasnt clear in my post, but i am assuming MHJ is gone by #4

clearly if you can get him and a tackle at #17, it changes the equation

heck, if the Cards win sunday, they are drafting at #7 and suddenly the third WR might be at risk there --

hello Brock Bowers

Reactions: PJ1

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Median top 10 LT contract APY: $19 million
Median top 10 RT contract APY: $18.5 million

Obviously you draft differently than you invest cap money, but there are good arguments on both sides.
the top 5 paid RT's according to over the cap are:
Lane Johnson
Jawaan Taylor
Ryan Ramzcyk
Titus Howard
Brian O'neill
those are all vets on their 2nd or 3rd contracts who have earned their keep. Only Johnson was a top pick. Which shows, you don't draft a RT highly in round.

The top 5 LT's by salary are:
Laremy Tunsil
Andrew Thomas
Trent Williams
David Bahktari
Ronnie Stanley

all #1 picks. In fact the top 10 LT's and 13 of the top 15 are first round picks. It's just a more valuable draft position.

If the Cards didn't draft PJJ last year then I could see a LT this year. That's assuming MHJR is not on the board. But spending back to back top 6 picks on OT is not making good use of draft capital.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hypothetically- how much would it cost to move from 17 to 8/9 if we get MHJ at 4… and one of Alt/Fashu are available? 2025 1st?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasnt clear in my post, but i am assuming MHJ is gone by #4

clearly if you can get him and a tackle at #17, it changes the equation

heck, if the Cards win sunday, they are drafting at #7 and suddenly the third WR might be at risk there --

hello Brock Bowers
Brock is my 2nd choice behind MHJ of all of the WR/TE prospects...

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
hypothetically- how much would it cost to move from 17 to 8/9 if we get MHJ at 4… and one of Alt/Fashu are available? 2025 1st?

last year, Cards traded back up from 12 to 6 -- its a proxy for a starting point:

Detroit → Arizona (D). Detroit traded first- and third-round selections (6th and 81st overall) to Arizona in exchange for first-, second-, and fifth-round selections (12th, 34th, and 168th overall)

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Lane Johnson
Jawaan Taylor
Ryan Ramzcyk
Titus Howard
Brian O'neill
those are all vets on their 2nd or 3rd contracts who have earned their keep. Only Johnson was a top pick. Which shows, you don't draft a RT highly in round.

Laremy Tunsil
Andrew Thomas
Trent Williams
David Bahktari
Ronnie Stanley

all #1 picks. In fact the top 10 LT's and 13 of the top 15 are first round picks. It's just a more valuable draft position.

If the Cards didn't draft PJJ last year then I could see a LT this year. That's assuming MHJR is not on the board. But spending back to back top 6 picks on OT is not making good use of draft capital.
I don’t know man the niners spent 3 first rounders in a row on the d line and it worked out well for them. Question if harrisson is gone do u think Monti would prefer the bigger wr odunze over the smaller nabers? Can’t remember who said it but it was mentioned nabers is a slot guy in the nfl?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking at draft values I think it would cost us our 2nd and one of our 3rds.
I’d do that in a heartbeat as these are 2 of the better LT prospects in any draft. If we somehow got MHJ and one of those 2.. talk about instant star power on great contracts !

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lane Johnson
Jawaan Taylor
Ryan Ramzcyk
Titus Howard
Brian O'neill

Laremy Tunsil
Andrew Thomas
Trent Williams
David Bahktari
Ronnie Stanley

Obviously the top-paid players at almost every position are going to be on veteran contracts. That doesn't prove anything.

I agree with you that the top-drafted prospects are all LTs, but the highly valued players in the market are roughly equal. That could mean that the efficiency is drafting and developing RTs higher.

I think the greater likelihood is that it's hard to scout OL overall, so outside of a premium position like LT you're better off holding on to a veteran you can trust and pay him.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I don’t know man the niners spent 3 first rounders in a row on the d line and it worked out well for them. Question if harrisson is gone do u think Monti would prefer the bigger wr odunze over the smaller nabers? Can’t remember who said it but it was mentioned nabers is a slot guy in the nfl?
If Harrison is gone, I'd be looking to trade the pick. I think there is that big a drop from Harrison's talent to the next. I wouldn't take an OT and I'm not sure which defensive player would be worth it. I really don't have an idea who will be the #2 WR off the board. Could be Nabers or Odunze. Once Harrison is gone the draft changes for me. Then, I'd be into gathering more picks. The Cards couldn't ask for a more perfect prospect at the perfect position for their team.

BTW, the Commanders had 4 former 1st round picks starting on their DL to start the year.

Reactions: PJ1

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Obviously the top-paid players at almost every position are going to be on veteran contracts. That doesn't prove anything.

I agree with you that the top-drafted prospects are all LTs, but the highly valued players in the market are roughly equal. That could mean that the efficiency is drafting and developing RTs higher.

I think the greater likelihood is that it's hard to scout OL overall, so outside of a premium position like LT you're better off holding on to a veteran you can trust and pay him.
I get what you're saying but my point is, no RT's are being drafted high and there's a reason for that. If Monti drafted Paris to be a RT then he's a fool.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lane Johnson - 4th overall
Jawaan Taylor - 35th overall
Ryan Ramzcyk - 32nd overall
Titus Howard - 23rd overall
Brian O'neill - 62nd overall

Laremy Tunsil - 13th overall
Andrew Thomas - 4th overall
Trent Williams - 4th overall
David Bahktari - 109th overall (OOOPPPSSS!!!)
Ronnie Stanley - 6th overall

This is just dishonest. ADP of the top right tackles: 29.2. ADP of the top left tackles: 27.2.

:shrug: All of the LTs are also vets on their second or third contracts who have earned their keep. This doesn't show anything but you're more likely to find good players earlier in the draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
This is just dishonest. ADP of the top right tackles: 29.2. ADP of the top left tackles: 27.2.

:shrug: All of the LTs are also vets on their second or third contracts who have earned their keep. This doesn't show anything but you're more likely to find good players earlier in the draft.
I had Bahktaria confused with someone else. I'll counter with Terrance Steele the 9th hoghest paid RT that was undrafted. But good pull. You found 1 guy to skew the numbers. The other 4 guys average less than the 7th pick. So not dishonest at all.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing about RT vs LT value. It's a ridiculous stance to take and if you think RT is as important as LT, or even close in the draft then good for you.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
well, that certainly changes the priorities of our offseason plans.
We don't even know if Hump was part of our future plans. The team may have been looking to move on from him anyways. Especially if the plan was to move Paris over to LT and find a cheaper replacement for RT.
The injury sucks. It limits our options but they better not use this as an excuse to pass on Harrison for one of the tackles if given the option between both