How to watch the 2016 Summer League

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alan Williams is really looking good. That is surprising to me. Alec Brown looks alot better than last year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Layman from portland just posterized Chriss. I just started watching the game, Chriss looks like he's not used to the speed of the game just from early watchings.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker is a stud but we all knew that. I love how he's talking like he's been in the league for 15 years. Talking about taking Bender aside.

Bender looks huge more athletic and a lot stronger than I thought his shot just wasn't falling tonight but loved what I seen. He looks very physical aswell

Chriss looks like great prospect aswell

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man Bender needs to really learn how to finish strong, he is 7'1 and decently athletic but instead of throwing it down he has missed like 3 relatively open layups.

He moves well and handles well though. Looks more like a SF than anything else for sure right now.

I really loved his defensive effort. He was all over the court, his length really bothers shooters and he was defending beyond the three point line. He had a significant impact even though he was clearly frustrated about his offensive game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the summer league game with Portland. Although Bender was having some trouble with his shot I liked the way he could handle the ball. He has nice size and he does not back down. He has huge upside when he adds some additional strength. He was more aggressive than I thought he would be which is good.

It was so nice to see the Suns have a legitimate PG on the court with Ulis. I was comfortable the way he ran the team.

Devin Booker was Devin Booker. He knows how to play.

Alan Williams is a load. He rebounds nicely and when a player runs into him he is like a brick wall. I like him as a depth player.

Chriss is very athletic which I expected. He needs to get stronger like Bender.

Kuric was a surprise for me. He has a chance to make the team. I like his shooting and overall game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Layman from portland just posterized Chriss. I just started watching the game, Chriss looks like he's not used to the speed of the game just from early watchings.

Did you see Bender wrap his arm around Layman on one play. He does not play around. I guess Bender made up for it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Chriss is very athletic which I expected. He needs to get stronger like Bender.
Not sure I would say strength was the issue, but more so a lack of BBIQ. He hasn't been playing all that long though so hopefully he gets more BBIQ over time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would say strength was the issue, but more so a lack of BBIQ. He hasn't been playing all that long though so hopefully he gets more BBIQ over time.

Chriss will need the basketball IQ because he is not built to bang. He will need to use finesse and athletic ability to play with the big boys inside.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chriss's hands are pretty bad at this point. I counted at least 4 times he went up for a slam/layup and lost the ball. He will get stronger, no doubt, but I expected a little more from the hype.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Chriss's hands are pretty bad at this point. I counted at least 4 times he went up for a slam/layup and lost the ball. He will get stronger, no doubt, but I expected a little more from the hype.
I'm gonna chalk some of this stuff up to "first tee nerves". I think all our young guys will play better as SL progresses.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't care about Bender & Chriss' shooting numbers right now. I just want to see how comfortable they look out there. Other than bricking shots I thought Bender looked pretty smooth out there but strength is an issue right now. His handle and quickness is better than I thought.

Booker is too good for SL.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't care about Bender & Chriss' shooting numbers right now. I just want to see how comfortable they look out there. Other than bricking shots I thought Bender looked pretty smooth out there but strength is an issue right now. His handle and quickness is better than I thought.

Booker is too good for SL.
Booker will probably only play one more SL game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The summer Suns play the Celtics on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Arizona time on ESPN 2.

I particularly want to see Jaylen Brown and Yabusele Guerschon play for the Celtics.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker took the game over in the 3rd quarter. Williams needs to work on a little hook shot or something but he looks like he could be a great end of the rotation big man. Bender was far more NBA ready than I thought he was although he couldn't buy a basket from pretty much anywhere.

Chriss showed flashes of brilliance but looked overmatched and out of step at times. Ulis can play this game. If he can keep the defense honest, he'll have a long career in the NBA. And despite his height, he's probably a legit starter before too long. I'd like to see us find a way to keep Brown and Kouric, both players intrigue me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marquese Chriss does not look like he weighs 233 pounds. I'm not sure where he carries the weight. He seems narrow on top.

This not a criticism, just an observation.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm gonna chalk some of this stuff up to "first tee nerves". I think all our young guys will play better as SL progresses.
I would agree. Booker had the same nerve problems last year. The nice thing about Bender is that he does not quit. He just keeps playing, even if he was a little frustrated.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am going to watch the replay of the game now. Highlights have me intrigued.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to watch the replay of the game now. Highlights have me intrigued.
If you do, keep your eyes on Bender. Note how quickly and smoothly he covers ground on D with those long strides. Notice his aggressiveness on D. The really encouraging thing to me about Bender right now is he defense. After all, I am a Suns fan. I don't see aggressive D that much.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, is Ben Simmons going to set the NBA record for triple doubles in a season? I guess its not if, its how soon. I would not be surprised to see him average a triple double at some point.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
1st QTR - Chriss is starting at SF, he is playing well on D and Of. They also set majority of the offensive plays through Chriss at the top of the Kay. Bender's shot was off but looked good, he did have one bad play where he waved off Ulis to bring up the ball and jacked up a three, after that you could tell they went way from him. I say that fall, I don't think he is use to the physicality, he also did keep reaching for his back multiple times.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So, is Ben Simmons going to set the NBA record for triple doubles in a season? I guess its not if, its how soon. I would not be surprised to see him average a triple double at some point.

I've seen several amazing passes already, but I wonder if he has too much Jason Williams in him. Can he cut way back on his turnovers without losing too much of his creativity?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
2nd - Bender with his long arms will be a good rebounder. Bender doesn't go left, this could be a problem at the next level. Chriss help D is going to be nice. He Does tend to loose track of his man. Chriss is going to be a very good post player with his quickness. Ulis reminds me of Isah Thomas (Pistons) he is scrappy can get his shot off, but makes clean passes. Chriss is a much better rebounder than I expected. Bender is really lost on offensive plays.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
3rd- Not much till 4min left, love to see how the team stuck up for Booker. So many times during the Morri years you would see players not care what happened to each other. Love the hustle from all the big 4. Bender still not willing to go left or spin left in the post NEEDS TO WORK ON THAT!!!

I am a little worried about Booker thinking he has already made it, but if is able to take over a game like he did, then maybe he has. His post game looks good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison