How long will our Search for a H.C. Take?

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Would you give up the best, or one of the very best, top players over the next 5 or more years for your head coach? Which would you get the most out of watching each week? The player or the coach? I don´t know the answer or even if there is as right answer.

Do coaches actually change the quality of your team and influence that many wins over losses? Or is more the GM in getting the quality players that win the games on Sundays? Would these successful coaches be that successful if they didn´t have the stars on their team to win those games? And who is most responsible for getting those players and having them play so well?

It´s a tough question. Has a coach ever turned around the whole direction of a lousy forlorn team? Or are these ´great´ coaches hired onto teams already with a track record of success over their lifetime that maybe are just down for a couple off years?

I think you could say Bill Walsh did? Obviously, I think you have to go back to that era to name a few, except for Belichick. Is Peyton on that level to be worth your premium important top pick, knowing we are talking about the Cardinals.

I don´t know. I am just afraid he will get disgusted with not having the success he is expecting of himself, take a couple years of the money, and walk away. And then what do we have left to show for it .... except the same old thing.

If Saints want our #1 this year, maybe we could agree to let us trade back first and pick up a good R2/3 pick or picks, then accept our mid-R1 pick. That might be a win/win for both.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you give up the best, or one of the very best, top players over the next 5 or more years for your head coach? Which would you get the most out of watching each week? The player or the coach? I don´t know the answer or even if there is as right answer.

Do coaches actually change the quality of your team and influence that many wins over losses? Or is more the GM in getting the quality players that win the games on Sundays? Would these successful coaches be that successful if they didn´t have the stars on their team to win those games? And who is most responsible for getting those players and having them play so well?

It´s a tough question. Has a coach ever turned around the whole direction of a lousy forlorn team? Or are these ´great´ coaches hired onto teams already with a track record of success over their lifetime that maybe are just down for a couple off years?

I think you could say Bill Walsh did? Obviously, I think you have to go back to that era to name a few, except for Belichick. Is Peyton on that level to be worth your premium important top pick, knowing we are talking about the Cardinals.

I don´t know. I am just afraid he will get disgusted with not having the success he is expecting of himself, take a couple years of the money, and walk away. And then what do we have left to show for it .... except the same old thing.

If Saints want our #1 this year, maybe we could agree to let us trade back first and pick up a good R2/3 pick or picks, then accept our mid-R1 pick. That might be a win/win for both.
I think one thing we haven’t really analyzed is the Saints are asking for a #1 pick. But we could give our #1 pick next year and a #2. In return we get the Saints #1 pick.
The Saints are staring at getting absolutely nothing if Payton goes back to TV.
I do know one thing. If we give up the third pick of this draft to sign Payton this board and fanbase is going to explode and bury MB.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think one thing we haven’t really analyzed is the Saints are asking for a #1 pick. But we could give our #1 pick next year and a #2. In return we get the Saints #1 pick.
The Saints are staring at getting absolutely nothing if Payton goes back to TV.
I do know one thing. If we give up the third pick of this draft to sign Payton this board and fanbase is going to explode and bury MB.
I think the Saints know they aren't getting a top 5 pick for Payton. Sure, they can ask but it's not realistic. The Saints have an edge but they don't hold a big upper hand. If teams balk at the asking price, they pay Payton for another year and get nothing for him. That would be pretty bad on their part. I could see a 2nd this year and next as the max compensation.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I agree Cardsfan, gaming the system by interviewing a minority candidate simply to check the box is disingenuous and a waste of everyone's time. Also, that we're much more likely to land Reich. Okay by me--I liked the guy as a player and I like him as a HC. One last thought, while Payton is a damn good HC, hiring him is bucking the odds because, IIRC, no HC has ever won a SB with two different franchises, right?
Not necessarily, part of the reason the rule was put in was to allow minority candidates to go though the interviewing process to gain inside knowledge of the process, so they could be better prepared for the next one. I agree that a team doing when they have no intentions of hiring that person, is shady at best, but I would hope that if that candidate comes in and blows their socks off they had better consider that person.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sorry to say it, but our history pretty much implies that we will be looking for a new head coach 5, 10, and 20 years from now. For the Cards it is a forever project. Heck, they have had more H.C.s in my lifetime than Mickey Rooney had wives.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Any head coaches recently fired from their alma mater? Asking for a pro football franchise.

Sit back and think about that with hindsight. Jesus h. Christ.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any head coaches recently fired from their alma mater? Asking for a pro football franchise.

Sit back and think about that with hindsight. Jesus h. Christ.
Scott Frost already bought a house in town so no moving expenses

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
Maybe 2024, we will just roll with VJ as our interim HC for the season
Be our luck he wins just enough to guarantee a extension then the next year everything falls apart again and we are back to square one just like always however I do kinda like the new GM hope he succeeds

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This guy has broke verified news in the past......

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I knew it, seemed like MB was all over the place interviewing all the coordinators in the playoffs and then some. He didn’t know who to hire. He doesn’t even know if he wants a defensive or offensive minded coach.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
This guy has broke verified news in the past......

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If totally true then it seems to me that Bidwill is not, and never has, taken any of this seriously. It is nothing but a toy his daddy left him to play and have fun with. He doesn't care about what it takes to win. I guess it says something about family owned teams, especially families with more money than they have sense. We all have been hoodwinked and have pledged our allegiance to someone that doesn't care a hoot about us.

He is like the kid who has the only ball on the block, so insists on playing QB even though he stinks at it. If the Cards would have been a gf or wife, we would have dumped them long ago.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If totally true then it seems to me that Bidwill is not, and never has, taken any of this seriously. It is nothing but a toy his daddy left him to play and have fun with. He doesn't care about what it takes to win. I guess it says something about family owned teams, especially families with more money than they have sense. We all have been hoodwinked and have pledged our allegiance to someone that doesn't care a hoot about us.

He is like the kid who has the only ball on the block, so insists on playing QB even though he stinks at it. If the Cards would have been a gf or wife, we would have dumped them long ago.
This paragraph doesn't make any sense. Getting personally involved in coaching is taking being an owner seriously - it's taking it too seriously.

If he didn't care he would never even step foot in the building.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose