How Long have you been a Fan of the Cardinals?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was born in 1986. As a baby, my dad dressed me up in Washington Redskins gear, and told me to "pick one team, and stick with them." My dad flew in the Air Force at the time, and we had to spend about 6 months in Tucson.

After he built up enough courage, he decided that it was time to ask me who my favorite football team was. At about 3 years old, I couldn't name a team besides the Washington Redskins to save my life. At this point, it was 1988, and as he asked, a commercial for the Phoenix Cardinals came on TV. My response, naturally, was, "the Phoenix Cardinals." He was in disbelief. Not only had I picked another team than his, I picked a division rival.

I grew up in Las Vegas, feeling like I was the only Cardinal fan in the entire world. It wasn't until my 2002 visit to training camp that I realized other fans truly existed. Dave McGinnis punctuated the situation by stopping his cart on the way up the hill to take a picture with me.

When Arizona State University offered me a scholarship, I took it unequvically - ignoring such schools as USC. I was going to be able to pay for Arizona Cardinals tickets with my college fund! I stood proudly in Sun Devil Stadium for two years, braving the heat every day, sometimes by myself. I could walk from my dorm room, and the next year, from my home across Tempe Town Lake.

That stadium's atmosphere put a mark on any soul that now cheers in University of Phoenix Stadium. It is a badge of pride to know that we're not there simply as spectators, but as true fans.

With a diploma now in hand, I journey from Las Vegas to Glendale each week to see my Cardinals play. The feeling can't be matched.

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Followed the Cards since 1983 when they played at Wembley against the Vikes.
I suffered mightily at the hands of friends who chose teams like Steelers, Dallas, 49ers to support. but I stood firm and with the coming of the internet have been able to follow my Cards with ever increasing detail. until this season I have watched every game live. To be fair to my friends everyone is rooting for the Cards now (temporarily anyway) in honour of all the years of anguish :)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I have followed the Cards since the early 70's. I hated the Cowboys so much, because they were on TV every week and the Cards no matter how bad they were always seem to play them tough. I really became a die hard after they moved to Phx. I had season Tix from day one until I moved to Wi after the 1998 season.

O/T
This is also the reason I can't stand Notre Dame either, they were on TV every week in Phx, back in the 60's and 70's.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since 1973, I was 13 yrs old. My family had just moved to St Louis from Reading Pa. and it was Don Coryell's first year as the head coach.
We went to Busch stadium to see the Eagles play the Cards. My mom kept saying it didn't matter who won because we like both teams. My Dad was all about the Cards winning and so was I.
Very good close game. Last play of the game both my Mom and Dad were cheering, I was devestated. Harold Carmicle (sp) caught a pass and was tackled at the goal line with no time left on the clock. I knew he had scored, my Mom was routing for both teams and my Dad thought the Cards had stopped him.
I think that pretty much sums up being a Cards fan. Oh so close, losing right at the end of a game and giving the hope that they might have won the game.

The best story I've read on becoming a Cards fan was either posted by or a front page article done by Mitch.

Hey Mitch, been kinda quite lately.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I am 36 yrs old and started following the Cardinals from when I was 4 yrs old. The oldest game I can remember watching was Cardinals vs Dolphins on Thanksgiving (think it was 1975 or 76). I guess looking back now- it was the Cardinals being in the NFC East & me getting to see them on TV at least 4 times a year (vs NYG & Philly) that recruited me to them. My first jersey was a home made Jim Hart road jersey. When I was 16 my dad flew me out to AZ to see the Cardinals vs Giants in 1988. Once I turned 18 I then started to visit AZ for at least 1 game a year. Now 20 years later, married, and proud parent of 2 beautiful children, I am a season tickets holder who is ready to see the Cardinals advance to their first ever Super Bowl! And my 4 yr.old son- who sports his Matt Leinart jersey every Sunday- has no idea how long dad has waited for this day!

Let me also take a moment to say how great it is to have a message board like ASFN to meet all of you great Cardinals fans! A lot of us have never met each other, have no idea what each other looks like, our race, religion, etc. And none of it matters. We are brought here by our love for the Chicago/St.Louis/Phoenix to now Arizona Cardinals!

God Bless all of you!
~Tim in NJ
www.myspace.com/prosvsjoes

Last edited:

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Since they were the Phoenix Cardinals in 1988. Lomax, Green, JT Smith, Wolfley and the like. Remember the old Joey Buttafuoco style red and white, tiger-stripe pants/hats? Those were classic and if I still had mine, I'd wear them on Sunday.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Remember the old Joey Buttafuoco style red and white, tiger-stripe pants/hats? Those were classic and if I still had mine, I'd wear them on Sunday.
Zubas? I still have mine. Renz might remember me walking around Mulligan's with those on.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am 44 years old. It was while MacArthur Lane was a RB for the Cardinals that I started noticing the Cards. I was not a diehard Big Red fan until 1974 though. The Coryell years sucked me in and I have been a devoted follower ever since.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the mid 90's pre Jake days with season tickets at SDS.

But then I didn't more here until then

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I live in the UK. My mom is from Phoenix and we have her side of the family still in the valley. I can remember really getting into the Cards when I was about 10, so 1992ish, i've been pretty die-hard since then. I will go see them everytime we visit (in season), but have to make do with watching/listening online for most games. This season has been great because satellite TV in the UK has shown about 7 Cards games this year.

It's not always easy following my US sports teams over here, but the Cards are easier as they will kick-off at 18:00 or 21:15 my time. It sucks trying to watch the Suns in the playoffs as they don;t start until the middle of the night for me.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
1960 seems like a magical time when many of us like yours truly began picking up the Street and Smith's mags and saying yeah I'm a Big Red fan.

I just watched a video that included some great stuff on John David Crow....one of my all time favorite players.

GO BIG RED

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Late 60's or so. Dad was a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team and I gravitated to the football team because of that (not being a baseball fan myself).

Loved the Coryell years, Jim Hart remains one of my favorite Cardinals of all time and LOVED it when they would punk the Cowboys every once in a while. Never would have dreamed they would end up here.

Dad is gone but me and 2 of my boys continue to be Cards fans. Dad used to shake his head when whoever was QB for the Cards would make that critical bonehead play to lose a game. He would be loving it now though :)

Before Dad passed away 17 years ago, many Sunday afternoons were spent watching football, him my boys and me. How I wish we could be sitting in his living room this Sunday watching the Cards BEAT THE CRAP out of the Eagles!!!!!!

Miss ya Dad!

Go Cards!!!!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
calling ouchie out - you may have started to become a fan, but you were still a Rams fan first. I still remember watching the NFC Title game between the Niners and Rams (you know, the Jim Everett sacked by the mystery man game) with you yelling at Brother Not Ouchie as he (a Niners fan at the time) was taunting you unmercifully during that 30-3 blowout. A true Cardinals fan (like myself at the time!) didn't give two ***** who won that game and we certainly didn't get worked up about one of the teams losing!

bad sweatshirts or not, it took you a couple years to fully jump in and you know it!

of course i was a fan of another team as well. being 7 years your elder i wasn't a child when the team came to az and as a football aficionado i had to root for someone. i mean, i 18 when the cards moved to az, you were 11. you were just learning football. b/c phx never had a team i rooted for the rams (proximity), the steelers ('cuz in the 70s you had to choose either the steelers or cowboys, and there was NO way i was going to be a 'pukes fane) and the bears (b/c of dad and the '86 team). the cards were automatically added to the que when they announced they moved. just took two or three years to completely rid myself of my pre-established tendencies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course i was a fan of another team as well. being 7 years your elder i wasn't a child when the team came to az and as a football aficionado i had to root for someone. i mean, i 18 when the cards moved to az, you were 11. you were just learning football. b/c phx never had a team i rooted for the rams (proximity), the steelers ('cuz in the 70s you had to choose either the steelers or cowboys, and there was NO way i was going to be a 'pukes fane) and the bears (b/c of dad and the '86 team). the cards were automatically added to the que when they announced they moved. just took two or three years to completely rid myself of my pre-established tendencies.

just wanted to make sure everyone knew the whole story. we all know how you lawyers are with half-truth and tom-foolery! (jesus, where is 40 when I need him for a good lawyer crackback... in fact, where the hell is 40 in general? Like that old slimey SOB has better things to do than revel with us in what is without a doubt the greatest week in Cardinals history!).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
just wanted to make sure everyone knew the whole story. we all know how you lawyers are with half-truth and tom-foolery! (jesus, where is 40 when I need him for a good lawyer crackback... in fact, where the hell is 40 in general? Like that old slimey SOB has better things to do than revel with us in what is without a doubt the greatest week in Cardinals history!).

if i, as a lawyer, use half-truths, then what do you, as an individual that made through 2/3rds of law school, use . . . 1/6th-truths?

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Being from Phoenix, they have been my NFL team since they moved here. But they weren't my primary team until the most recent NHL lockout ended my following of that league and the team I loved, the Coyotes.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Season tickets for 12 years. 12 years of pure debacle.
But seriously, it's all been a blast. Even the blowouts, the constant barrage of smack. The complete ineptitude. It's not gone yet, and it won't be until we put a smack down on the Eagles on Sunday. I wouldn't trade those supposedly miserable Sundays at SDS for anything right now.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
November, 1979. I bought a copy of PRO Magazine that had Ottis Anderson on the front cover. Have been hooked ever since.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Long enough to have seen things that still scar me today.

The ultimate though was being Kornheiserd on MNF and the whole Bears fiasco, that was the LOW point for all time.

cardsfan89

Registered
Reaction score
Moved to the Valley Jan 1, 1989 and became a fan that fall. Ricky Proehl and Frank Sanders and Greg Davis were my boys.

Sadly I moved back to Texas a few years later. But I will be there Sunday in full force !

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Twenty One Years--

Since they arrived here and a season ticket holder since1988, and now I'm having a surreal experience that I'm just dreaming all this! WOW!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson