How Long have you been a Fan of the Cardinals?

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I live in Canada, one hour south of Toronto.

The first time I ever saw the Cards was when I was December 12, 1992 (I had to look this up at football-reference.com). I remember looking for a new team, because the only thing around here was the Bills, and I don't like being told/influenced on what I should like. I was 13 at the time, and I flipped through the channels and saw a team I had never really heard much of before, the Phoenix Cardinals. They won 19-0, and, well, 19 is my favorite number. I thought to myself that nobody around here likes them, maybe somebody should. And I did.

I've sat through gamecasts at nfl.com
I've stayed up late at night to hear them on my static-filled radio when they beat Dallas at home and almost tore the house down
I've sat through the shutouts on the road
I almost broke my fist pumping in the air and legs sliding on the floor when they made the playoff clinching FG 11+ years ago
I skipped going out to watch them win 20-7 at Dallas a week later
I cried when they lost at Minnesota one week after that
I've sat through countless drafts to see who we'd pass on
I've typed millions of words about the Cards, but only spoken about a hundred face to face with Cardinal fans

I love this team........damn I love them

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Picked them when i was 8/9 so about 25 years.

I still have Cards logo i made in woodwork at school with my name and age on in pencil which i forgot to rub off before i varnished it. stupid at the time now i love it

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since my dad took me to my first cardinal game at the old Busch stadium on OCT 1968. The Cardinals played in the Century Division - Eastern Conference - NFL. There record was 9-4-1. Oh what sweet memories. And Now the NFC Champship game!! Woo Hoo Long time but worth the waite.!!!!

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I sort of picked them in 1970 but really didn't follow every game( as best as I could living in philly) until 1972. '72 and '73 were bad years and when they went 10-4 in '74, I figured after that many losing seasons they were due to win. I had no idea what I was in for after that nice run ended.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Growing up in Kansas City before the merger I was a Chiefs fan from the AFL side but the Cards from the days of Charley Johnson, John David Crow and then to the Jim Hart, Larry Wilson, Mel Gray era on the NFL side. Larry Wilson was one of my favorite players so I was excited when the I found out the Cards were coming to AZ.

It just seems this team had a lot of bad luck since the move until now. Maybe making AMENS with the Pottsville team has made a difference. To the fans who were making another trip to Pottsville PA this week we sure hope you do it so we don't leave anything to chance.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1964 in High School

I had an old classmate who I hadn't heard from in probably 30 years call me and give me congratulations. He still remembered.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Closet fan since 1988.

Hardcore fans since 1998. <--- Once they killed "THE Cowboys" I have never been able to stop rooting for them as my A, Number 1 sports team.

And once this happened: Join Date: Apr 2003 It has become a year round, daily part of my life.

Go Cardinals.

There are going to be some dates put on this post, that are going to put us into shock.

I think 40yrfan, has been a fan since 1920 or something like that.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The day the Cardinals moved to the valley. I came from the midwest where Dallas was the only view. After being a Cowboy fan for 10+ years I dropped them like a rock when the Birds flew into town. 1986 I moved to the valley of the SUN, and by 1987 I was a new Cardinal fan.

Since the Cards and Cowboys were division rivals I knew the Cardinal team pretty well so it wasn't much of a conversion. Lomax bitting the dust put this team in a tailspin and my misery started.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The day the Cardinals moved to the valley. I came from the midwest where Dallas was the only view. After being a Cowboy fan for 10+ years I dropped them like a rock when the Birds flew into town. 1986 I moved to the valley of the SUN, and by 1987 I was a new Cardinal fan.

Since the Cards and Cowboys were division rivals I knew the Cardinal team pretty well so it wasn't much of a conversion. Lomax bitting the dust put this team in a tailspin and my misery started.

+1.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

:thumbup: Grew up in NY(LI) in the 67-79 era watching the Jets play. Then in 78-83 watched the Houston Earlers and the Steel Curtain do battle for five years down in Tejas. What games those were!! Players like Pastorini, Stabler, Campbell(hof), Billy White Shoes, Brazile, Barber, Casper(hof), Mathews, Bethea, Burroughs, Carpenter, Mauck and all the Steel Curtain players.

In 83' moved to the Valley and it was Suns territory until the Cards moved in and I've been a fan since that day. Now we have our own legacy of players that I can say that I witnessed play over the coming years GW. Future hof-ers!! And a D that GETS IT ON - DESERT RED SWARM!!:newcards:

Team G

Big Red Surfer
Reaction score
Since 1987. When it was announced that the team was moving here that year, they televised all the games that season.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
1988. I followed them passively until the SF game that year, which I had to listen to on the radio from work. That one put me over the top - a game I still haven't ever watched (praying someone has a tape of it somewhere, or the NFL network/ESPN Classics will reair it some time.)

My one waning moment came after I had left AZ and realized that my fiance had no intention of moving to AZ. With no real news clippings (pre inter-net days) about the team, it was very hard to get any info on them.

I thought about becoming a Panther fan during their expansion year, but before the season started....I just couldn't do it. Shortly afterwards, I got my first internet account (compliments of a compuserve 2,400 baud modem)...and I was able to keep the madness going.

Thanks to the internet and websites like this one, I'm more die-hard now than when I was going to the games in SDS.

Go Cards.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since 1967. I was 9 years old and I feel the same excitement today as I did then when I see the Cardinal helmet.

Where has all the time gone?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave