Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nope. Not going to help fund the shyster that wants to be lazy and make more money and give a giant eff you to the readers he hooked in the first place.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Nope. Not going to help fund the shyster that wants to be lazy and make more money and give a giant eff you to the readers he hooked in the first place.

Same here. I'm not supporting or buying anything of his until A Dream of Spring comes out. So in other words I'm never touching his stuff. George doesn't seem to get that his fans want the last two books and don't care about a new Wild Card book or another history book. It's shown with his comment about the new HBO deal making his career. His career was made long ago by starting one of the best fantasy series ever but his legacy is about to be the guy that didn't finish it. He wants to be in the same league as Tolkien but there's a huge difference between the two, Tolkien finished his work.

It's hard to get super excited for this too since we know the story already, it's the dance of the dragons and we know that this still ultimately ends in Dan and Dave's poorly written ending to the saga. Knowing the story I'm thinking it could end up over the top with special effects of dragons fighting and that the story might suffer. Sort of like GoT S7 and 8.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get being frustrated with not having the books finished. But man that’s some pissy biting off your nose to spite your face talk.

Stout

Reaction score
I get being frustrated with not having the books finished. But man that’s some pissy biting off your nose to spite your face talk.

No way. He is literally trying to profit from the property he refuses to finish. Giant middle finger to all the book readers. MASSIVE. I'm a writer, and I find what he's doing freaking disgusting. Besides that, I have serious doubts it'll be any good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No way. He is literally trying to profit from the property he refuses to finish. Giant middle finger to all the book readers. MASSIVE. I'm a writer, and I find what he's doing freaking disgusting. Besides that, I have serious doubts it'll be any good.

uh, yeah that’s his job. You can argue about artist integrity, yadda yadda yadda, but tough to argue against his taking the opportunity to cash in big time when it’s there. Not so unlike a football player jumping to another team for another big payday. Left something unfinished with old club but limited opportunity for generational wealth. Same thing here.

Stout

Reaction score
uh, yeah that’s his job. You can argue about artist integrity, yadda yadda yadda, but tough to argue against his taking the opportunity to cash in big time when it’s there. Not so unlike a football player jumping to another team for another big payday. Left something unfinished with old club but limited opportunity for generational wealth. Same thing here.

Sorry, no. As an artist in the same field, his name is absolute mud now. It isn't just this prequel series. He has literally run around and done dozens of projects and cannot possibly be devoting any significant time to writing the books. He is lying his ass off saying he's working at it.

To follow your sports analogy, it would be akin to Patrick Mahomes getting his team to the playoffs and then begging off to go prepare for preseason baseball. He has a contract (So does Martin--they haven't called him on it because he's a cash cow, but he has contracts and deadlines he continues to miss), but he wants to go make money elsewhere. No. You stay with your team and finish what you damn well started and are contractually obliged to start.

He is a HORRIBLE example to artists out there. Cash grab when you have no cash and need to make a living? I'll not cry foul on lack of artistic integrity. Cash grab before you're rich? Get you that moola. Cash grab when you're richer than Croesus? Shame on you for crapping all over your fans.

Okay, I'm off my hobby horse now :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry, no. As an artist in the same field, his name is absolute mud now. It isn't just this prequel series. He has literally run around and done dozens of projects and cannot possibly be devoting any significant time to writing the books. He is lying his ass off saying he's working at it.

To follow your sports analogy, it would be akin to Patrick Mahomes getting his team to the playoffs and then begging off to go prepare for preseason baseball. He has a contract (So does Martin--they haven't called him on it because he's a cash cow, but he has contracts and deadlines he continues to miss), but he wants to go make money elsewhere. No. You stay with your team and finish what you damn well started and are contractually obliged to start.

He is a HORRIBLE example to artists out there. Cash grab when you have no cash and need to make a living? I'll not cry foul on lack of artistic integrity. Cash grab before you're rich? Get you that moola. Cash grab when you're richer than Croesus? Shame on you for crapping all over your fans.

Okay, I'm off my hobby horse now :)
Does he care more about his millions of readers, or his millions of viewers of his television show, where the money is FAR better? He obviously is concentrating on the television money. Ouchie is right, artistic integrity is questionable, but he's going with where his bread is buttered.

I agree it's a huge disservice to the book fans, but it is what it is. You don't know anything about what he is "contractually obligated" to do, so bringing that up is strange.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Does he care more about his millions of readers, or his millions of viewers of his television show, where the money is FAR better? He obviously is concentrating on the television money. Ouchie is right, artistic integrity is questionable, but he's going with where his bread is buttered.

I agree it's a huge disservice to the book fans, but it is what it is. You don't know anything about what he is "contractually obligated" to do, so bringing that up is strange.

You also have to factor in though that he's 72 and already has enough money to be wealthy the rest of his life. At some point you have to think about your legacy too. That's shot with him not finishing his magnum opus. He wanted to subvert Tolkien. Well he succeeded, Tolkien finished.

BTW, the HBO contract is for new stuff and isn't even House of the Dragon. He's supposed to not have much involvement with it. That actually gives me more pause on this series. Where GoT really broke down is when they just had the outline of the story and not George's actual writing and most importantly his dialog. That's all they have for this show too. The Dance of the Dragons story was given more as a history book (x fought y, then a and b happened) story then as a novel. So we really have to hope that the show runners are better writers than Dan and Dave.

Stout

Reaction score

His bread has been buttered so well he never has to go to the grocery store again. And I know what he's contractually obligated to do because he has spoken about it. He's under contract for the book, and has mentioned many of the deadlines he was given by the editors that he has missed. Only an author of his stature can get away with that for so long, and even then, it's only because he's bringing them money in with other projects has kept him out of trouble. If he wasn't making money for them, he'd have been toast by now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
His bread has been buttered so well he never has to go to the grocery store again. And I know what he's contractually obligated to do because he has spoken about it. He's under contract for the book, and has mentioned many of the deadlines he was given by the editors that he has missed. Only an author of his stature can get away with that for so long, and even then, it's only because he's bringing them money in with other projects has kept him out of trouble. If he wasn't making money for them, he'd have been toast by now.
I don't know what your problem is other than being upset that he isn't going to finish the book series. If he wasn't already making his publisher money (and you can damn sure believe that they are making some kind of percentage off his GOT earnings), then this would be a bigger deal.

Now, I'm not saying I don't care that he isn't going to finish the books, I'm saying nobody outside of readers like you are going to be really upset about it. Content is king, whether it's books or tv.

After all, you can only read so much description of what people are eating before you decide it's just not worth worrying about.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't know what your problem is other than being upset that he isn't going to finish the book series. If he wasn't already making his publisher money (and you can damn sure believe that they are making some kind of percentage off his GOT earnings), then this would be a bigger deal.

Now, I'm not saying I don't care that he isn't going to finish the books, I'm saying nobody outside of readers like you are going to be really upset about it. Content is king, whether it's books or tv.

After all, you can only read so much description of what people are eating before you decide it's just not worth worrying about.

First of all, :biglaugh:to that line! Nicely put.

I'm upset he's not going to finish the series and uninterested in anything else he does because of it, yes. He hasn't just burned bridges with GoT book readers--I know lots of people that haven't read GoT but rather Wild Cards, and hate what he's done and are stopping reading that. Perhaps that's just because of the circles I am in. I've also heard a lot of non-readers get upset about it, like folks who hated how the series went and realize it's because they didn't have the source material to work with.

Eh, is what it is. He'll never finish the next book, let alone the series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You also have to factor in though that he's 72 and already has enough money to be wealthy the rest of his life. At some point you have to think about your legacy too. That's shot with him not finishing his magnum opus. He wanted to subvert Tolkien. Well he succeeded, Tolkien finished.

BTW, the HBO contract is for new stuff and isn't even House of the Dragon. He's supposed to not have much involvement with it. That actually gives me more pause on this series. Where GoT really broke down is when they just had the outline of the story and not George's actual writing and most importantly his dialog. That's all they have for this show too. The Dance of the Dragons story was given more as a history book (x fought y, then a and b happened) story then as a novel. So we really have to hope that the show runners are better writers than Dan and Dave.
I think the 72 cuts the other way too then. He’s an older guy. Most are retired by that age. Maybe just allow a man who provided you with entertainment some peace. Is it a bummer if he doesn’t finish? Sure. But man are you guys pissy. He doesn’t owe you anything.

your second paragraph I get.

Stout

Reaction score
I think the 72 cuts the other way too then. He’s an older guy. Most are retired by that age. Maybe just allow a man who provided you with entertainment some peace. Is it a bummer if he doesn’t finish? Sure. But man are you guys pissy. He doesn’t owe you anything.

your second paragraph I get.

Yeah, he's 10 years beyond his last one, and has put out DOZENS of other projects. Sorry, the old man crap doesn't cut it. The excuses for him all wear thin. HE agrees that he has no excuses. As an artist, at a certain point, you certainly amass obligation.

I used to fight tooth and claw FOR George RR Martin. I used to argue with anyone that would whine about the books to lay off, that there's nothing worse than fans overreacting like this, etc. Then he kept raking in the cash doing anything BUT finish his series, for a long, long time. The worm turned.

I mean, I get it. To give him the benefit of the doubt, it's probably a major anxiety problem instead of a mere cash grab. But this isn't a Patrick Rothfuss situation where there's outside mitigating factors (although I do understand fan frustration with him, too).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh he’s a man that created something that entertained millions. He’s 72. Let him be.