HotSpurs

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ok so I'm moving to England and am looking for a team to follow. This past year I've followed Tottenham, but have yet to make that emotional connection. For you English folks or EPL followers....do you think they will really keep Harry Kane? 2 years ago they had both Dempsey and Bale and I thought they were a team on the rise, but from what I've read this appears to be a trend for them and they just keep selling players. And is lennon done there?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok so I'm moving to England and am looking for a team to follow. This past year I've followed Tottenham, but have yet to make that emotional connection. For you English folks or EPL followers....do you think they will really keep Harry Kane? 2 years ago they had both Dempsey and Bale and I thought they were a team on the rise, but from what I've read this appears to be a trend for them and they just keep selling players. And is lennon done there?

I'm not sure you'll find many Spurs fans on this board. It's mainly Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sunderland here. I think there's a Fulham and/or Everton fan as well...

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Whoa. Big move. Keep us updated. Not every day that one of us just picks up and moves across an ocean. :D

Safe travels !! :raccoon:
thanks that means a lot. It won't be until 2016, but just found a couple of weeks ago that it will happen. I'm very excited. gotta find a way to keep up with my American sports while I'm over there, but looking forward to taking in all of the football games.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm not sure you'll find many Spurs fans on this board. It's mainly Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sunderland here. I think there's a Fulham and/or Everton fan as well...
Cool thanks Chaplin. I've followed fulham while Dempsey was there, arsenal when henry was there and everton while Donovan was there too. I really wish he stayed there or went there sooner than he did.

I like to watch players and quality football, but I've never emotionally followed a particular team. I barely started watching the MLS some this year because it seems to be getting a lot more exciting. I will be moving about an hour away from London. I figure I will be closest to emirates stadium and white hart lane and of corse they don't like one another so I will end up liking one and not the other.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Make it sunderland!!

I have to say that I guess and could drone on about us being a grand old team (albeit 40 years of underachievement recently) but have you tube and see what think.

Guess your location plays a part (an hour which way?) and we are way up in the North East.

Hope your move is a huge sucess and all I will say is stick to whoever you do pick and enjoy the good times (no matter how small they seem to everyone else).

Oh and if you ever wanted to go to a game if you pick us, or your team plays us I'll be more than happy to take and buy the beers.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cool thanks Chaplin. I've followed fulham while Dempsey was there, arsenal when henry was there and everton while Donovan was there too. I really wish he stayed there or went there sooner than he did.

I like to watch players and quality football, but I've never emotionally followed a particular team. I barely started watching the MLS some this year because it seems to be getting a lot more exciting. I will be moving about an hour away from London. I figure I will be closest to emirates stadium and white hart lane and of corse they don't like one another so I will end up liking one and not the other.

Fulham fan here. Been following them since I was in the Air Force over in England way before Dempsey played for them. Not doing that good lately. Were relegated last season and struggling a bit in the Championship division.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I follow all of the major top 4 contenders, although I have adopted Liverpool as my team. I think that Tottenham has an ok shot of keeping Kane as he is a local boy. Lennon is gone.

Where in England are you moving? You'll do well to follow someone relatively close. You'll bond with people and make your connection that much stronger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Make it sunderland!!

I have to say that I guess and could drone on about us being a grand old team (albeit 40 years of underachievement recently) but have you tube and see what think.

Guess your location plays a part (an hour which way?) and we are way up in the North East.

Hope your move is a huge sucess and all I will say is stick to whoever you do pick and enjoy the good times (no matter how small they seem to everyone else).

Oh and if you ever wanted to go to a game if you pick us, or your team plays us I'll be more than happy to take and buy the beers.
that is great I will def keep in touch!

I am moving to RAF lakenheath. I think it is roughly one hour or so northeast of London. White hart lane is close also I think Norwich may be close too. I think the midlands are an option. It's so strange I've been a football fan since 98 WC when I fell in love with the sport but other than the US team I've never fallen for a club team. Being in the usa I more or less only see the big money clubs that I usually just root against. I can't wait to get there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd love to jump in and argue with English that you should pick THE team of the Northeast, Newcastle United, but picking either probably wouldn't be a good idea. You'll be in London, and from my understanding they can't watch all the games over there every week. Is that right, English? Given that, I'd pick a London team. Were it me, I wouldn't pick one of the top ones, because I hate just picking frontrunners. I've always liked West Ham, myself, of all the London teams.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
that is great I will def keep in touch!

I am moving to RAF lakenheath. I think it is roughly one hour or so northeast of London. White hart lane is close also I think Norwich may be close too. I think the midlands are an option. It's so strange I've been a football fan since 98 WC when I fell in love with the sport but other than the US team I've never fallen for a club team. Being in the usa I more or less only see the big money clubs that I usually just root against. I can't wait to get there.

I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from 1986-1988. Great place to be at. Norwich and Ipswich are close by as well as Cambridge. You are in East Anglia about 75 miles Northeast of London.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to jump in and argue with English that you should pick THE team of the Northeast, Newcastle United, but picking either probably wouldn't be a good idea. You'll be in London, and from my understanding they can't watch all the games over there every week. Is that right, English? Given that, I'd pick a London team. Were it me, I wouldn't pick one of the top ones, because I hate just picking frontrunners. I've always liked West Ham, myself, of all the London teams.

I thought that is weird too. Over here they show every game from every team on the NBC networks but you can't do the same in the UK.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
I thought that is weird too. Over here they show every game from every team on the NBC networks but you can't do the same in the UK.

He's right though. No 3pm ko's are allowed to be shown here. The place is just too small for a blackout rule and its really not just to protect the big boys but the whole 92 league clubs and a load of non league too.

Thing is most pubs have the dodgy stations from the Far East or US or where ever but it's not legal.

Going back to picking sides, Ipswich and Norwich or decent little teams but if you want to see top flight football then you won't get it regular with them. But if I had to go with one it would be Ipswich. Cambridge are non league at the moment (5th tier), Peterborough isn't far either but they aren't up to much either. Peterborough is on the main east coast train line north by the way (about 2.5 hours to Durham,Sunderland and newcastle and 3.5 hours to edinborough).

Spurs and west ham move to new grounds soon so you should be ok for tickets if you staying in UK for a few years. But if feel you should pick local rather than London, they joy of promotion is something few US sports fans get to enjoy.

....in fact, no ******** it, get the train to Sunderland every week and suffer with the rest of us :lol:

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from 1986-1988. Great place to be at. Norwich and Ipswich are close by as well as Cambridge. You are in East Anglia about 75 miles Northeast of London.

Nice! I'm gonna try to go a game in Ipswich. Looks like they could be in the playoff this year.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He's right though. No 3pm ko's are allowed to be shown here. The place is just too small for a blackout rule and its really not just to protect the big boys but the whole 92 league clubs and a load of non league too.

Thing is most pubs have the dodgy stations from the Far East or US or where ever but it's not legal.

Going back to picking sides, Ipswich and Norwich or decent little teams but if you want to see top flight football then you won't get it regular with them. But if I had to go with one it would be Ipswich. Cambridge are non league at the moment (5th tier), Peterborough isn't far either but they aren't up to much either. Peterborough is on the main east coast train line north by the way (about 2.5 hours to Durham,Sunderland and newcastle and 3.5 hours to edinborough).

Spurs and west ham move to new grounds soon so you should be ok for tickets if you staying in UK for a few years. But if feel you should pick local rather than London, they joy of promotion is something few US sports fans get to enjoy.

....in fact, no ******** it, get the train to Sunderland every week and suffer with the rest of us :lol:
Haha man this is a tough decision. One of my friends is really selling spurs. And I can see that. They are a top flight team but they aren't one of the big ones that get shoved in our faces by everyone. I get enough of that being a cowboys fan.

So which team(s) would they feature in the area that I will live?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs are a good choice. Big enough to be in the top flight forever, fighting for top 4 each year. Small chance for FA cup or League Cup trophies.

Do it!

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I always find posts like this hard as the concept of picking a team is so alien to me.

I understand the idea of picking a Prem team, but the football fan inside me just feels they'e all the same. Go for a lower league team - you'll have more fun.

Spurs - my two best friends are Spurs fans. I feel sorry for them really. They're viewed as a big team, yet never actually do anything. For all the 'big' names they sign and the money they spend they really should be doing better. Same thing could have been said for the last 30 years with them. All about the show, not about results.

Still, whatever team you pick - stick with them. Nothing worse than people switching teams.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always find posts like this hard as the concept of picking a team is so alien to me.

I understand the idea of picking a Prem team, but the football fan inside me just feels they'e all the same. Go for a lower league team - you'll have more fun.

Spurs - my two best friends are Spurs fans. I feel sorry for them really. They're viewed as a big team, yet never actually do anything. For all the 'big' names they sign and the money they spend they really should be doing better. Same thing could have been said for the last 30 years with them. All about the show, not about results.

Still, whatever team you pick - stick with them. Nothing worse than people switching teams.

It is easy to pick a team that resides close to you. Most of us are trying to pick a team from across the Atlantic. We have to have some other major criteria other than location to determine a team.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It is easy to pick a team that resides close to you. Most of us are trying to pick a team from across the Atlantic. We have to have some other major criteria other than location to determine a team.

Exactly. All the teams I root for are dallas teams. I've always said if I wasn't from there I would absolutely despise the Cowboys but they are my hometown team. That's why this is weird for me. I love soccer but because of the weak MLS I never watched it nor followed the dallas burn now FC dallas. Now every time I watch the epl I'm mesmerized by the quality. But trying to connect to a team is nearly impossible for me. Once I'm there I know if I go to a match I will find that connection. Just trying to see what my options are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Yeah I see that with the Spurs. I think a lot of American sports fans would be into picking a big name team that wins all the time and signs star players. I want my team to sign the big name players but that has never been my basis of cheering for a team. In fact it usually causes me like most others to root against that. at the end of the day most of us are like the Brits in the fact that we like to follow our hometown team and cheer for them no matter what. For me that's what I would be looking for and once I find my team I won't switch even if they underachieve. If I was going to go for a Chelsea or Man u I would already have jumped on that wagon.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah I see that with the Spurs. I think a lot of American sports fans would be into picking a big name team that wins all the time and signs star players. I want my team to sign the big name players but that has never been my basis of cheering for a team. In fact it usually causes me like most others to root against that. at the end of the day most of us are like the Brits in the fact that we like to follow our hometown team and cheer for them no matter what. For me that's what I would be looking for and once I find my team I won't switch even if they underachieve. If I was going to go for a Chelsea or Man u I would already have jumped on that wagon.

Go for Newcastle if you want all the frustration of the old-time Cards :)

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You should pick a team based outside of the Prem. Can't be accused of glory hunting then. The fans might be more welcome to you coming on board too.

You'd be based close to Peterborough which is where I currently live. Not a big Posh fan myself, but Cambridge is another option. They've got a good core of fans and watching lower-league football is great fun.

Or become a Leeds fan. Leeds fans are always the most attractive, intelligent and humble of all fans.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ah today the Spurs were lackluster. I was happy to see yedlin come on. He was happy to go forward but really never had the ball. He almost gave up a goal. I hope he gets a start soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson