Hot Take: The Real Reason We’ve Lost 2 In A Row

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler Murray isn’t running the ball (enough)...Plain and simple.

In the 2-0 start he had 21 rushing attempts, 158 yards and 3 touchdowns.

In the 0-2 games he’s only rushed 11 times for 107 yards (only 59 yards if you take away the huge 48 yard scamper from yesterday) and 1 touchdown.

So basically he’s only running half of what he did in the wins. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, his legs are the X factor! Defenses are not scared of his arm but they are terrified of his rushing ability!

I understand Kyler would rather stay in the pocket and deliver passes. I understand everyone from the quarterback, to the coach, to the media would prefer to see a 300 passing yards stat line, but who cares about any of that, it’s all about winning!

Vance Joseph has been ridiculed and deservedly so for his inability to adapt and leverage his personnel, but when is Kliff going to be held accountable on the offensive side of the ball?

Every NFL roster is loaded with talent, what separates good teams from great ones is coaching. We all know Belichick would have this team at 4-0. Kliff needs to adapt the play calling to truly leverage Kyler’s special rushing ability.

This is exactly what John Harbaugh did with his dual threat quarterback. In 2018 the Ravens went 10-6 and made a playoff appearance on the heels of their rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson.

In his rookie season Lamar rushed for 695 yards on 147 attempts. That averaged to over 9 rushing attempts per game.

Last year during a 14-2 campaign Lamar set an NFL season record rushing for 1,206 yards on 176 attempts. That averaged to 11 rushing attempts per game.

Maybe I’m way off base but it seems so obvious to me...If this team is gonna win get Kyler an average of 10 rushing attempts per game, not 5.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he is a QB first and foremost and needs to hone that craft more then anything. He himself has all but said he would prefer not to run. Running isn’t a QBs primary responsibility. It can be used sure but should be sparingly and at the right time.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In the 0-2 games he’s only rushed 11 times for 107 yards (only 59 yards if you take away the huge 48 yard scamper from yesterday) and 1 touchdown.

So basically he’s only running half of what he did in the wins. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, his legs are the X factor! Defenses are not scared of his arm but they are terrified of his rushing ability!

I understand Kyler would rather stay in the pocket and deliver passes. I understand everyone from the quarterback, to the coach, to the media would prefer to see a 300 passing yards stat line, but who cares about any of that, it’s all about winning!

Vance Joseph has been ridiculed and deservedly so for his inability to adapt and leverage his personnel, but when is Kliff going to be held accountable on the offensive side of the ball?

Every NFL roster is loaded with talent, what separates good teams from great ones is coaching. We all know Belichick would have this team at 4-0. Kliff needs to adapt the play calling to truly leverage Kyler’s special rushing ability.

This is exactly what John Harbaugh did with his dual threat quarterback. In 2018 the Ravens went 10-6 and made a playoff appearance on the heels of their rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson.

In his rookie season Lamar rushed for 695 yards on 147 attempts. That averaged to over 9 rushing attempts per game.

Last year during a 14-2 campaign Lamar set an NFL season record rushing for 1,206 yards on 176 attempts. That averaged to 11 rushing attempts per game.

Maybe I’m way off base but it seems so obvious to me...If this team is gonna win get Kyler an average of 10 rushing attempts per game, not 5.
Are you Mitch?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree its a big contributing factor

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

my QB doesn’t play RB and I don’t want him to

he can’t hit the broad side of a barn right now that’s the problem. He’s not looking at guys that are wide open and making bad decisions that’s the problem

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Kyler blew the Lions game.

However, after his 3rd int Kliff resorted to calling more QB run plays.

It worked and we got a TD.

I assumed we were just going to use his legs to carry us home. Instead he's throwing back shoulder fades to KJ and obviously forcing one to him downfield.

Should have stuck with the run and then used half field reads to move the chains. Its not good long term, but in that situation it would have got us the win.

Panthers game I think was just a total team effort letdown. Not sure we win that game even if Kyler runs for 120 yards.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vs- the lions he didn't want to run vs the Panthers they didn't let him run... they took away all lanes as good as possible and made him beat them with his arm and he couldn't.

Because of play calling and so on.

Hop and Fitz were open all day long and he didn't find them or the system was horizontal which in a stacked and anti QB run D is exactly what you stop best.

Bad Playcaling + bad reads => bad game => loss

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Heck, I think this reliance on running is why he's struggling as a QB because the position is about passing. Double heck, I wonder is paying more attention to running takes one out of a passing rhythm... hmmm

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler blew the Lions game.

However, after his 3rd int Kliff resorted to calling more QB run plays.

It worked and we got a TD.

I assumed we were just going to use his legs to carry us home. Instead he's throwing back shoulder fades to KJ and obviously forcing one to him downfield.

Should have stuck with the run and then used half field reads to move the chains. Its not good long term, but in that situation it would have got us the win.

Panthers game I think was just a total team effort letdown. Not sure we win that game even if Kyler runs for 120 yards.
As bad as we played against the Panthers, if VJ could've got his 2 backup safeties to communicate & actually cover someone in the flats coming out of the backfield..........? Maybe it would've been a different game? How many times were we burned in the flats? Too many. Riley & Thompson actually ran into one another on one play for a long gain. They were trying to decide who was responsible for covering whom while the ball was being snapped. Totally unacceptable.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a guy that believes ever road leads to the Head Coaches Desk . Who puts a winner or a loser on the field , the Head Coach !

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call the play....see/ find open receiver...throw to open receiver.... catch the ball.

it really is this simple. Kyler is not finding the open receiver and when he does he too often has missed them.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems only a matter of time for the Ravens...

I bet not... the pure passé Mahomes and Josh Allen (yea I said it he is becoming a star) at this point will likely keep him out in the AFC during his time...

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
THIS is why we lost

Coaches

You must be registered for see images attach

Defense

Offense

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It seemed quite simple to me. The Panthers said Cards would have to beat them passing. They couldn’t.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are 100% correct. A QB's job is not to throw the ball...its to MOVE the ball one way or another. If Kyler is struggling throwing the ball, he can run it. If the defense has to adapt and commit to stopping his running, maybe the throwing gets easier.

Its silly to say that you shouldn't be using a players most unique talent. People said their team shouldn't draft Lamar Jackson because hes a running QB...well 2 playoff appearneces and an MVP later, the Ravens are still a powerhouse team. You let Jackson run until a team proves it wont work. If it does work..you ride those skills as far as you can.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He needs to run tougher not more often. Sometimes a leader needs to lower the shoulder and run someone over rather than sliding 5 yards in front of a defender.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He needs to run tougher not more often. Sometimes a leader needs to lower the shoulder and run someone over rather than sliding 5 yards in front of a defender.

In the first two weeks he had run and slides for a 1 yard loss...but they still scared the defense. Eventually he was able to break bigger runs.

He needs to show run, suck in the defense, and then burn them. Can he do it...I dont know...but not using his running ability is a horrible waste of unique talent. If we wanted a pure passer, we should have drafted a different player

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
my QB doesn’t play RB and I don’t want him to
/QUOTE]

I agree I just want him to take a snap, drop back, step up into the pocket, step into a throw, and deliver a strike. Just once to anybody.

Or maybe just throw someone open that is not a back shoulder fade. Not that that is not a good play, but I have seen that he can do that. Now I want to see next level QB skills.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russell Wilson wasnt asked to carry a team passing all the time (when he was younger) and neither is Lamar Jackson right now.

I'll admit I'm disappointed in Kyler and thought he'd be ahead of them. Turns out it was Josh Allen who would make the leap. Maybe by year 3 Kyler would make the leap as well?

However, they make/made good with their limited attempts and use of their legs.

Right now Kyler doesnt have the vision, pocket presence or awareness to make multiple reads.

Now we can either force him to learn it (no more swing passes. Just make him have to learn trial by fire)

Or

We gradually build up to it. I think we can win games if we commit to the run more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson