Hopkins, Cards agree to extension

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
he didn’t want to be here. He wanted to be number 1 and he knew it was never going to happen here.
I don't think that's necessarily true. They were working on an extension until Whiz stepped in. Something during those discussions really pissed him off to the point where he no longer trusted the organization.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
The relationship was broken. He wouldn't have accepted that to stay. IMO
Right, because Whiz got involved. That dynamic set him off, and he vowed to never sign another contract here. The point is, they were having discussions until Whiz got involved.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily true. They were working on an extension until Whiz stepped in. Something during those discussions really pissed him off to the point where he no longer trusted the organization.

It’s pretty well known he was very jealous of Fitz and when Fitz got paid he wanted more money than Fitz. This isn’t new

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right, because Whiz got involved. That dynamic set him off, and he vowed to never sign another contract here. The point is, they were having discussions until Whiz got involved.

did Boldin blow up at the HC or the OC? Right

your remembering it wrong

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In game, the oc. Reported, out of game, contract problem was about whiz saying something like "just sign the contract"

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing to bare in mind is that Ramsey's and White's contracts are going to push the tag price up for CB's next year. It will probably fall 10% based on lower cap but these deals might wipe that out. So tag might be around what it is now.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One rb saw at least 70% of snaps in 12 of 17 games for us last year. Committee is not what this team has done.

I'm talking about efficiency. Besides DJ, we haven't had a reliable workhorse back in some time. This is where the LSH's, Marcel Shipps, JJ Arrington's have all come into play. 1000 yard rushers for us haven't been a regularity.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I came to this thread to see what Hopkins contract is like. But, for the last 5 or 6 pages that I skimmed over, he wasn't mentioned much. All about others and their possibilities. What was Hopkins' terms?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I came to this thread to see what Hopkins contract is like. But, for the last 5 or 6 pages that I skimmed over, he wasn't mentioned much. All about others and their possibilities. What was Hopkins' terms?

The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that it was a two-year, $54.5 million extension with the Arizona Cardinals that includes $42.5 million guaranteed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score

That has nothing to do with the contract. Here's an article from August 2008.

"In a radio interview with Michael Irvin on ESPN Radio yesterday, Anquan Boldin made the revelation that Whisenhunt injected himself into the contract-negotiation process."

Thankfully we now have a head coach who appears smart enough to stay in his lane.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-out-after-ken-whisenhunt-sides-with-bidwills

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The deal is a slam dunk for Hopkins per Joel Corry. Cardinals were able to extend Hopkins but not a win-win deal. Not sure why Cardinals could not have neogiated what Joel is indicating.

"...He gets just over 72.5 percent of the new money by the end of 2023, the first new contract year. The Cardinals really should have insisted on a more team-friendly cash flow where Hopkins' 2024 compensation was at least $20 million since voiding is a possibility...."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...with-cardinals/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I read above that PP would take a deal similar to what Slay just got and I disagree. In terms of structure on how its set up, yeah thats probably true. But if PP has a good year, hell command a deal that pays him top CB money for the length of his contract. If he doesnt have a good year, he's looking at a CHEAP price tag. There really isnt an in-between anymore.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All that matter to us is the cap hit and it's not pretty.

To keep the cap hit low this year and next year they get hammered later.

$7m this year. $12.5 next year. Then after that is $25m, $27m, $22.6m.

Just when we have to pay Kyler we have a huge WR cap hit.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score

I don't mind it. We are have an open window for a superbowl run before we have to pay kyler. We locked up a HOF wr in his prime for that window. They can restructure his deal later if need be.

Keep in mind we also dumped 10m in 2020 and 2021 from trading david johnson away.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

The final year is only 1/3 guaranteed to hit the cap if things go south with him for any reason. Cap space does start to get tricky by 2022.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final year is only 1/3 guaranteed to hit the cap if things go south with him for any reason. Cap space does start to get tricky by 2022.

so my question is... why not put more of it into this year’s cap, when the roster is already locked up so that it doesn’t get as tricky once Kyler’s salary starts to balloon?

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
so my question is... why not put more of it into this year’s cap, when the roster is already locked up so that it doesn’t get as tricky once Kyler’s salary starts to balloon?

I’m a little surprised they didn’t do that. They dropped the hits for Hopkins/Humphries this year which both blow up the next couple years. Some of the space this year should roll over though.

The Saints are listed at $74m over the cap next year and just gave Kamara a massive deal. :eek:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They only have $10m in cap space even after this. I imagine thats what they feel comfortable with going into the season for IR replacements or any trades/cuts they pick up later.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A *big* plus out of this deal, that doesn't seem to be getting talked about much, is the fact that Hop negotiated this deal directly with MB himself - no agent. How rare is that nowadays? Almost unheard of. What I think is significant is that this signals to other players that MB is a good owner who can be negotiated with in good faith. That's gotta be huge. You gotta think that more players would LOVE to bypass their agent and their massive fee altogether, if they weren't gonna get railroaded in the process. This deal speaks will for MB, and mutual respect between he and Hop. Other players no doubt taking note of this.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A *big* plus out of this deal, that doesn't seem to be getting talked about much, is the fact that Hop negotiated this deal directly with MB himself - no agent. How rare is that nowadays? Almost unheard of. What I think is significant is that this signals to other players that MB is a good owner who can be negotiated with in good faith. That's gotta be huge. You gotta think that more players would LOVE to bypass their agent and their massive fee altogether, if they weren't gonna get railroaded in the process. This deal speaks will for MB, and mutual respect between he and Hop. Other players no doubt taking note of this.
Keim...

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It means that he's handling the face-to-face and contracting negotiation support on an hourly or a fixed fee basis. Saves the 3% agent fee.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Maybe they are planning on doing that with other extensions? I hope that is what they are doing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard