Hopkins, Cards agree to extension

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure but they're not playing against other teams who haven't been in their "bubble" yet and they don't have fans in a stadium yet. The first game will have no fans, the Cards said no fans at their first 2 home games. At some point the plan is to change that and start allowing fans and then we'll see if we're able to pull that off. Are they going to allow tailgating(outside but still somewhat at risk) etc.

the NBA was a different beast they could play all the games in the same place, can't do that in the NFL.

I'm not saying it will be the disaster college football is looking like, pro players not college ones, but training camp wasn't nearly the test travelling to real games is going to be.

It's not a sentient being. Players don't get near fans so they can't catch it from fans. It's that simple.

When travelling they go from plane to hotel room and hotel room to stadium. It's going to be fine. I'm not saying there won't be one or two a week like now, maybe that goes up to 4-5. But I don't see any major outbreaks happening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a sentient being. Players don't get near fans so they can't catch it from fans. It's that simple.

When travelling they go from plane to hotel room and hotel room to stadium. It's going to be fine. I'm not saying there won't be one or two a week like now, maybe that goes up to 4-5. But I don't see any major outbreaks happening.

It will be interesting to see if these guys keep themselves from the issues some baseball players have on the road.

otherwise, they’ve either done an incredible job being responsible to this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not interested in debating you but you do realize fans ARE sentient beings? Do you not think if the NFL starts to have fans getting sick from games they're not going to consider changes? The NFL can't really afford to play a full season without fans, one estimate is each team would lose about 70 million in revenue. They can do that if they know for sure they can make up some of it in the next few years but if that's not clear, one thing the NFL would consider is shortening the season if it becomes clear they're not going to be able to play with fans in the stadium the whole year. Right now I think 6 teams are planning to have any fans at all.

And NFL teams are not just the players there's lots of personnel involved. they've been really good so far, they're people. To expect them to all follow all the protocols for 4 months is asking an awful lot. It's inevitable some players are going to get infected, have to sit out games etc.

I hope we get a full season and everything is great, I'm skeptical there won't be issues, it's a virus it doesn't care about the NFL it just looks for new hosts.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Over the course of the deal yes. I’d just like to know the year 1 cap hit.
Just guessing we are taking the hit early on Hopkins, so when we have to address QB extension, we have room.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you're right. that's was a bit of hyperbole on my part and my bad. but in two of the last three years he hasn't looked good (last year, he did look like crap for the majority of the season) and and the only year he did look good was 2018 with PEDs.

he’s been in the league for almost a decade and has pretty much unanimously been a top 5 CB the whole time. He was looking pretty damn good at the end of the year.

I think he’s had more than one good season.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
He wanted FITZ money and, if I remember correctly, settled in Baltimore for relatively the same amount the Cards had on the table.
If I remember right, he signed a 3 year, $25 million deal once we traded him. We would've been better off paying him that than whatever we wasted that money on, that's for sure.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I remember right, he signed a 3 year, $25 million deal once we traded him. We would've been better off paying him that than whatever we wasted that money on, that's for sure.

The relationship was broken. He wouldn't have accepted that to stay. IMO

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he’s been in the league for almost a decade and has pretty much unanimously been a top 5 CB the whole time. He was looking pretty damn good at the end of the year.

I think he’s had more than one good season.

Okay... but that wasn’t my statement that he’s had only one good season. I specifically said he’s had one good season in the last THREE years and the only season he was good in the last three years he was on PEDs. Extending a guy to a big deal to a big money deal, who’s on the wrong side of thirty and hasn’t shown the ability to been great without PEDs since 2016 isn’t my idea of a smart move. I’d like to see at least a showing in the first quarter of this season that he can still play at an above average level before extending him.

you can disagree but I’d appreciate you not changing my argument in the process.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No 2-3 more years he will demand another contract! The precident has been set.

Listen, he’s a helluva player & well worth his going rate. I just hate that him, others can do the exact same thing again, this holding the franchise hostage. I don’t like it.

What if Kyler has an outstanding year, demands a huge deal next season, then says pay me or I’m sitting.

BB my fellow Texan, what's the alternative. Yeah, it's all the same of now you have them and now you don't as contracts are constantly in flux for a contact sport where certain money cannot be guaranteed. I think it's the right thing to do and the situation is always going to be fluid with echoes of paranoia for the Cards and the other 31 teams... but we have the money going to the right guy :)

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. And if Peterson hits the market at the end of this year, the price is going to be astronomical. Someone will pay him.

Obviously it doesn't have to happen today, but if he comes out and looks strong in the first 4-6 games of the season, that's my priority.

The problem is Peterson said he will not negotiate a new deal once the season starts...Which means if he goes off this year (I think he will) the only feasible option seems like a franchise tag for 2021...And I don’t k no one about you, but PP doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would be willing to play on a tag...I could see a holdout or a trade demand. I would gamble and sign him to a 3 year deal but they obviously fee comfortable to let him play out this year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The problem is Peterson said he will not negotiate a new deal once the season starts...Which means if he goes off this year (I think he will) the only feasible option seems like a franchise tag for 2021...And I don’t k no one about you, but PP doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would be willing to play on a tag...I could see a holdout or a trade demand. I would gamble and sign him to a 3 year deal but they obviously fee comfortable to let him play out this year.
I totally missed that. Ugh. Doesn't make me feel great.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Just guessing we are taking the hit early on Hopkins, so when we have to address QB extension, we have room.

I don’t think they have a choice but to backload it. We’re already nearing cap hell by 2021.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no way I give him a three year deal.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No
Hopkins is a game changer, I can understand paying him 23mil a year while your franchise qb is in his rookie contract
Just questioning why a player with multimillion contract and 3 years left ask for a bigger salary
Then if u pay him 23, u can't give 11 mil to Fitzgerald
Is a really bad usage of the salary

There are no trophies awarded for cap management. Trophies come with winning games. The best way to win games is to have some of the top players in the NFL on your team for several years. Does anyone question that Hopkins is arguably the best WR in the game right now? At least top 3?

The best players on every NFL team get outrageously large contracts that make bean counting fans of those teams wring their hands.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not interested in debating you but you do realize fans ARE sentient beings? Do you not think if the NFL starts to have fans getting sick from games they're not going to consider changes? The NFL can't really afford to play a full season without fans, one estimate is each team would lose about 70 million in revenue. They can do that if they know for sure they can make up some of it in the next few years but if that's not clear, one thing the NFL would consider is shortening the season if it becomes clear they're not going to be able to play with fans in the stadium the whole year. Right now I think 6 teams are planning to have any fans at all.

And NFL teams are not just the players there's lots of personnel involved. they've been really good so far, they're people. To expect them to all follow all the protocols for 4 months is asking an awful lot. It's inevitable some players are going to get infected, have to sit out games etc.

I hope we get a full season and everything is great, I'm skeptical there won't be issues, it's a virus it doesn't care about the NFL it just looks for new hosts.

That's never going to happen. The NFL would play a full season with totally empty stadiums if they have too. They see fan attendance this year as a bonus, not a requirement.

At the best of times a slate of sold out home games accounts for about 25% of all team revenue (on average). I don't think any team expects to have more than 20% capacity all season. So at best fan revenue might account for 5% of this years revenue for some games. When you factor in 20% as the max later in the year and only at some stadiums it's likely this year fans will account for 2.5% tops.

They can easily miss that. In fact it probably costs them more to open, run and staff the stadiums and make them Covid secure than 10-20% capacity earns.

They make most of their money from TV. So cancelling games would just be losing them more TV money. If anything, I imagine their TV money will go up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

P2 says a lot of things he doesn't mean.

His wife has a career here. He has kids, family and friends here. He's happy and comfortable in AZ. If the Cards come to him with a contract offer mid season he's going to take it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's never going to happen. The NFL would play a full season with totally empty stadiums if they have too. They see fan attendance this year as a bonus, not a requirement.

At the best of times a slate of sold out home games accounts for about 25% of all team revenue (on average). I don't think any team expects to have more than 20% capacity all season. So at best fan revenue might account for 5% of this years revenue for some games. When you factor in 20% as the max later in the year and only at some stadiums it's likely this year fans will account for 2.5% tops.

They can easily miss that. In fact it probably costs them more to open, run and staff the stadiums and make them Covid secure than 10-20% capacity earns.

They make most of their money from TV. So cancelling games would just be losing them more TV money. If anything, I imagine their TV money will go up.

Again the NFL already has a contingency plan in place that involves reducing the schedule if they have to. Multiple owners have gone on record on this, we want to play a full season, if it gets to a point where we need to shorten the season in order to complete the season, that's on the table. They THINK that won't happen but they don't know.

The estimate from CBS is that each home game without fans COSTS a franchise 10 million so losing a full season is 90 to 100 million dollars(the 2 preseason games too). Their plan is not to play the whole season without fans their plan is to get to where they can play with as much as 50% of the fans, that of course would require a working vaccine.

As the saying goes, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face, the NFL hasn't been punched in the face yet. I hope it works, so far it's been very good, but going 4 months without issues is going to be a concern because they can't do the bubble like the NBA did. They don't control what the rest of us do, if you look it appears we're going to be spiking up in cases in the next few months based on OUR behavior, opening up schools, events like Sturgis etc. Hopefully the NFL can keep personnel and players safe from all that but there's no guarantee they can.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Drake will walk unless he has a stupid season. I think they are happy for Edmonds to be RB1.

Brit, I love Chase, but this ain't it for me. I see him squarely in that LSH
role, but not a workhorse. To your point, the league is moving towards his style of play, but I just personally feel comfortable with a more hefty runner to be the bell cow

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
P2 says a lot of things he doesn't mean.

His wife has a career here. He has kids, family and friends here. He's happy and comfortable in AZ. If the Cards come to him with a contract offer mid season he's going to take it.

Thanks for being the first one to recognize that his wife's career as an MD is a factor in any decision.