Homeland (SHO) - thread contains spoilers

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I think this will air immediately after Dexter. It stars Damian Lewis (Life and Band of Brothers) and Claire Danes. The first episode actually aired on DirecTv 101 last weekend and it looks to be a very good show.

Here's a review of the series http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...d-damian-lewis-riveting-in-showtimes-homeland

Essentially Danes is an agent who thinks that Lewis (who returns home after being MIA in Iraq for 8 years) could have been turned by AQ.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Can't wait for this one.... Love me some Damian Lewis.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The show looks very promising. One of the better pilots I've seen in a long time.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
I was very pleased with this Damian Lewis is great and the skinny CIA agent is doing a great job.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GREAT pilot. can't wait to see where this show goes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The preview for the rest of the season looked amazing.

Great choice on the two leads as well.

yup. Damian Lewis as the bad guy is great. totally against type. and normally I'm not a big Claire Danes fan, but loved her in this as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. Damian Lewis as the bad guy is great. totally against type. and normally I'm not a big Claire Danes fan, but loved her in this as well.

I've only watched the pilot (haven't seen the season preview or any writeups). Are we sure that Damian Lewis is the bad guy? I know he obviously has secrets but I can't help but wonder if this isn't a show about the dangers of zealotry (focusing on the Homeland Agent's excessive zeal).

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only watched the pilot (haven't seen the season preview or any writeups). Are we sure that Damian Lewis is the bad guy? I know he obviously has secrets but I can't help but wonder if this isn't a show about the dangers of zealotry (focusing on the Homeland Agent's excessive zeal).

Steve

I don't know... we saw flashes of stuff he did while in captivity... we're definitely led down that path.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know... we saw flashes of stuff he did while in captivity... we're definitely led down that path.
I don't think they have quite established yet whether he has been "turned" or not, and I think the whole show will revolve around that uncertainty, both from the viewers' and the other characters' perspectives. I just hope that they won't intentionally try to mislead the viewer into thinking one thing and then at the very end reveal the opposite. A few of 24's writers/creators are involved in this show, so I hope it doesn't end up going that route.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, we did, but we also saw enough to realize there might be more than one explanation for his behavior. I don't know how they could keep something like this in flux for very long and it would seem to be a one season show if he's not really the bad guy but who knows. The only way that makes sense (and the only direction that interests me) is if he truly has been turned but they've been careful to avoid making it clear.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they have quite established yet whether he has been "turned" or not, and I think the whole show will revolve around that uncertainty, both from the viewers' and the other characters' perspectives. I just hope that they won't intentionally try to mislead the viewer into thinking one thing and then at the very end reveal the opposite. A few of 24's writers/creators are involved in this show, so I hope it doesn't end up going that route.

I think it's going to go that route. The 24 connection is another reason I'm concerned this might just turn into what I mentioned before - a statement about our excesses in stopping and preventing possible terrorism.

24 took a lot of abuse about their occasional (actually, minimal) use of Islamic extremism so I can't see them upping the ante with this series - which is what they would be doing if it really turns out that Damian has been turned. I think this show will focus more on the dangers of living in our post 9/11 world. I thought the pilot was very good but I was really hoping for a nice action show to take the place of 24, hopefully without all the stupid melodrama. I don't think I'm going to get what I was hoping for.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i too wonder how long a show like this can go on and I didn't mean to imply it was iron-clad that he's the baddie, I just like his casting against type as the possible bad-guy, but probably an incredibly nuanced bad guy that makes us question a lot of things about the way we think.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i too wonder how long a show like this can go on and I didn't mean to imply it was iron-clad that he's the baddie, I just like his casting against type as the possible bad-guy, but probably an incredibly nuanced bad guy that makes us question a lot of things about the way we think.

Well, I like Damian Lewis enough that I'm willing to stay with this whichever direction they go. Although I don't hate it, I'm not as fond of the idea of "casting against type". I suspect I'm pretty much the reason there is such a thing as "type". I want the John Wayne's to save the day and the Alan Rickman's of the world to die hard.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude..... 2 weeks in and I'm hooked.

That's 3 hours of damn good TV during Sunday Night Football. Thank god for DVR's.

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
I have really liked it so far.

I am having a really hard time with Damien on the other side if he is because the Band of Brothers series.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yeah, maybe my new favorite show of the fall.

doesn't hurt that the lead looks just like the brother-who-shall-not-post. kinda freaky. feels like i'm watching cheese's and my brother as a terrorist every week...

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That was a GREAT episode. No one has mentioned him yet, so I'll give him his due. Mandy Patinkin is a phenomenal actor. It's a treat just to watch the amount of depth and subtlety that he so effortlessly brings to his character week in and week out (the rest of the cast is great as well, but Mandy deserves a little love).

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love this show and where it is headed!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson