Hey Ryan, CD ROM problem...

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last few months, my computer would get the BSOD, or just crash for no apparent reason.

I think I might have isolated it to my new CD R/RW drive that I bought a few months back as well. It crashes my computer randomly, but usually when I'm running a program or two that uploads a lot of files via FTP...sounds weird, I know.

Anyways, I took it out tonight, completely (it's also daisy-chained to a Zip internal, I took that out as well), and so far, the problem has gone away.

I'm running XP Pro. Any advice on what to do here if it is indeed the drive's fault? Is that it? Should I return it, or is there something I can do to make it work?

Thanks,

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is to update the driver. Make sure it is not a driver from Microsoft, go out to the makers website and get it. If you are getting the BSOD make sure you don't have an IRQ conflict with another device. Let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
The best advice I can give is to update the driver. Make sure it is not a driver from Microsoft, go out to the makers website and get it. If you are getting the BSOD make sure you don't have an IRQ conflict with another device. Let me know how it goes.

How can I tell if I have an IRQ conflict? Where do you go to check that exactly?

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
How can I tell if I have an IRQ conflict? Where do you go to check that exactly?

Mike

I think I am wrong, I don't believe the CD-ROM registers with the IRQ. So my advice is to upgrade the driver, if that doesn't work, take it back. Make sure you have no rips or tears in your IDE cable and check all the connections, I had this same issue years ago and my IDE was half on and half off on my motherboard.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I am wrong, I don't believe the CD-ROM registers with the IRQ. So my advice is to upgrade the driver, if that doesn't work, take it back. Make sure you have no rips or tears in your IDE cable and check all the connections, I had this same issue years ago and my IDE was half on and half off on my motherboard.

Yeah, I think it was on there good though. I had it in my secondary IDE slot, and linked to my Zip internal, which was set to slave, and the CD ROM set to master.

Can't see anything wrong there at all, so I dunno. But I will definitely put it back, see if I can't install some better drivers for it.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Yeah, I think it was on there good though. I had it in my secondary IDE slot, and linked to my Zip internal, which was set to slave, and the CD ROM set to master.

Can't see anything wrong there at all, so I dunno. But I will definitely put it back, see if I can't install some better drivers for it.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Check the jumper settings, sounds like you have though. Those always confuse the heck out of me.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the jumper settings, sounds like you have though. Those always confuse the heck out of me.

Yeah, I did that...the Zip WAS on a Slave A setting, instead of just Slave, which I have no clue if it makes a difference or not, but I put it on Slave and the problem still came up.

Mike