Hellraiser (remake)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clive Barker Bringing Back The Original Pinhead For A Hellraiser Remake We Can Actually Support

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Cliv...ser-Remake-We-Can-Actually-Support-40018.html

"A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures," Barker wrote, "in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first Hellraiser film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity – honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film – was attractive to Dimension." Heck yeah it was.

They’ve been trying for years to get a remake off the ground (or out of the attic, as it were), going so far as hiring writers a few years back. But there have been a slew of increasingly worse sequels that already served as examples of what outsiders do with the franchise. To have Barker back on board, essentially re-readapting his short story "The Hellbound Heart," was probably money-stacking music to Weinstein’s ears, so Barker was hired to write it. No word on a director just yet though.

As for Bradley’s inclusion, he says, "I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley, and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed." It’s surprising to go back and watch the original film, noticing just how little screentime Pinhead gets, given how memorable the character is. And it’s great that the age of the character is of little importance. He last donned the pins for 2005’s forgettable Hellraiser: Hellworld, while Stephan Smith Collins took over the role for the even worse 2011 film Hellraiser: Revelations.

He also says the film will be opting for practical effects over CGI, which is yet another reason why this has now jumped to one of my more anticipated projects. After all, we haven’t been able to revel in the depravity of Barker adaptations in recent years, with the last one being 2009’s Dread. Luckily, he said once this remake is said and done, he'll be returning to the director's chair for a psychosexual project he's got cooked up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hellraiser was fun but then they took it too far and it became really cheesy. If they reboot this I hope they don't make the same mistakes.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, come on! Give me a FLIPPING BREAK! Am I going to have to frickin' picket movie theaters now?

Every time I see a reboot or remake, I know Stout has to be throwing something at the computer each time. :mulli:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Every time I see a reboot or remake, I know Stout has to be throwing something at the computer each time. :mulli:

Not always. If it's a property I don't know or particularly care about, then whatever. But, come on. Labyrinth? Hellraiser? It's like Hollywood has a missile lock on my frickin' heart right now :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not always. If it's a property I don't know or particularly care about, then whatever. But, come on. Labyrinth? Hellraiser? It's like Hollywood has a missile lock on my frickin' heart right now :)

so,...you totally blacked out Big Trouble in Little China.............

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Barker does it it could be great. The first few hellraiser movies were outstanding.