Head Coach choice

Head Coach choice

• Total voters

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was pretty optimistic this time around and probably overly so. I understand they wanted to look at the big fish and interview a lot of guys, but as a new GM that's been in the league for as long as Monti has you would think that he would have "his guy". Kind of like how Arians always new Bowles would be his DC if he ever got a HC job. So, either he doesn't have that guy or MB is hamstringing him at this point. Either way it's really disappointing and really driving me from the optimistic side of this board to the dark side.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm interested in Philly too for HC search but chose Callahan with his offensive background.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Imagine if Flores becomes the guy and we see the worst football yet over the next 2 seasons. Imagine MB trying to move on from him then, with this lawsuit happening. Not a good position to be in…

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Imagine if Flores becomes the guy and we see the worst football yet over the next 2 seasons. Imagine MB trying to move on from him then, with this lawsuit happening. Not a good position to be in…
Nah, if he's truly underperforming and gets multiple years, it won't have an impact...in fact it may actually support MB in defending against Wilks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bad football is east to dismiss. Flores produced mediocre football and still got fired.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
My worry as well. You sign him you’ll have to give him at least 2 or 3 seasons no matter the outcome. But, probably should give most new coaches at least 2 years to see what they can do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coach speak at its best. He has no ties to North Carolina aside from 1 NFL season

Apart from it being their first ever QB, where he lived for 13 years after retiring as a player before taking the Colts job, being president of Reformed Theological Seminary from 2003 to 2006 in Charlotte, serving as pastor at Ballantyne Presbyterian in Charlotte, all his kids living in Carolina, his brother Joe coaching at Wingate in North Carolina, one of his daughters working for the Panthers and all the family and friends he built from living and working there for many years he has no ties there at all.

Last edited:

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I’m hoping they make a choice and hire a coach today so a staff can be assembled sooner rather than later.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Apart from it being where he started his career, where he lived for 13 years after retiring as a player before taking the Colts job, being president of Reformed Theological Seminary from 2003 to 2006 in Charlotte, serving as pastor at Ballantyne Presbyterian in Charlotte, all his kids living in Carolina, his brother Joe coaching at Wingate in North Carolina, one of his daughters working for the Panthers and all the family and friends he built from living and working there for many years he has no ties there at all.

He didn't start his career there. He spent many years in buffalo, backing up Jim kelly. His claim to fame to Carolina is he was their first quarterback and it was his first true starting opportunity in the NFL, when they became an expansion franchise. I think in his second year he was replaced by Steve Beuerlein.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He didn't start his career there. He spent many years in buffalo, backing up Jim kelly. His claim to fame to Carolina is he was their first quarterback and it was his first true starting opportunity in the NFL, when they became an expansion franchise. I think in his second year he was replaced by Steve Beuerlein.

Sure. I meant started as Carolina's first QB.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Coach speak at its best. He has no ties to North Carolina aside from 1 NFL season
Apart from it being their first ever QB, where he lived for 13 years after retiring as a player before taking the Colts job, being president of Reformed Theological Seminary from 2003 to 2006 in Charlotte, serving as pastor at Ballantyne Presbyterian in Charlotte, all his kids living in Carolina, his brother Joe coaching at Wingate in North Carolina, one of his daughters working for the Panthers and all the family and friends he built from living and working there for many years he has no ties there at all.

Arguing about Frank Reich's decision to go "home" or "not really his home", classic ASFN. This is the Way. LOL

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arguing about Frank Reich's decision to go "home" or "not really his home", classic ASFN. This is the Way. LOL

It's literally his home. When he retired the chose to live in Carolina. Raised all his kids there. Pastored at a church there. I can't help it if people try to incorrectly correct me.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's literally his home. When he retired the chose to live in Carolina. Raised all his kids there. Pastored at a church there. I can't help it if people try to incorrectly correct me.
Here is a quote from Reich in 2018...

"I tell you what," Reich told Colts.com's Caroline Cann on Tuesday. "It's been an exciting time. Like you said, going back a little over a week ago to the Super Bowl, and then right to this opportunity — where my coaching roots started, right here in Indianapolis. Excited to be back home."

Calling Carolina home is no different than him calling Indy home, it is one of the many stops he had in his career (which included a coaching stint in AZ). He took the job in Carolina because it was offered to him first not out of some loyalty to the area.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a quote from Reich in 2018...

"I tell you what," Reich told Colts.com's Caroline Cann on Tuesday. "It's been an exciting time. Like you said, going back a little over a week ago to the Super Bowl, and then right to this opportunity — where my coaching roots started, right here in Indianapolis. Excited to be back home."

Calling Carolina home is no different than him calling Indy home, it is one of the many stops he had in his career (which included a coaching stint in AZ). He took the job in Carolina because it was offered to him first not out of some loyalty to the area.

It's no different apart from his kids living there, his brother living there, his 3 daughters living there, one daughter working for the Panthers, living in Carolina by choice when he retired for 13 years, working for two religious orgs for 6 years in Charlotte and having a tonne of extended family and friends there.

I get what you say about "Coming home" being a cliche. In this case it's very literal.

The original point being he was always going to choose the Panthers over anyone else if the Panthers wanted him. I'm sure Reich very close ties to Carolina played a big part in them wanting him.

We can just leave it here as your point was "His only tie is he played there 1 year". You clearly didn't know about the many other ties, which is fair enough, nobody can know everything. I didn't know myself until I read it last week. I didn't know he was a preacher either. But suffice to say he has far more ties to that area than anywhere else.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
We need a coach quick because everyone of these threads end up being about some weird nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We need a coach quick because everyone of these threads end up being about some weird nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic
Look: We can make this thread about Kyler Murray's attitude, or we can make it about how and where Frank Reich spent the years between his NFL retirement in 1998 and when he started his coaching internship with the Colts in 2006.

Those are the two choices.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Look: We can make this thread about Kyler Murray's attitude, or we can make it about how and where Frank Reich spent the years between his NFL retirement in 1998 and when he started his coaching internship with the Colts in 2006.

Those are the two choices.
We need to change the poll lol

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I think the defense will be good with Flo as HC and then its as easy as replacing the OC if there's a problem with scoring.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was pretty optimistic this time around and probably overly so. I understand they wanted to look at the big fish and interview a lot of guys, but as a new GM that's been in the league for as long as Monti has you would think that he would have "his guy". Kind of like how Arians always new Bowles would be his DC if he ever got a HC job. So, either he doesn't have that guy or MB is hamstringing him at this point. Either way it's really disappointing and really driving me from the optimistic side of this board to the dark side.

Monti had a 'his guy.' He's now the AGM.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton was originally my top choice but that was only if the draft compensation was reasonable. No way would I give up a high round pick for a HC. So I'm fine the Cardinals didn't land him. I believe the Broncos got fleeced by Mickey Loomis.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mickey Loomis after the Payton Trade to Denver....

My top picks going into this process were Flores and Quinn. Unfortunately Quinn has taken his name out of consideration. That leaves my top choice Flores as my prefered option. However if the Cardinals are not careful Flores might lose interest in them as well.

The last thing I want is a rookie HC leading this team. The Cardinals need an experienced HC that doesn't have to learn on the fly. There are too many issues with this team to deal with for a rookie HC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose