Have not seen Two Towers or ROTK yet

Prindel

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I have a serious question to ask here since I did see fellowship of the ring but after I checked the book it definitely left out some important stuff! When Frodo was hurt on Weathertop by the ringwraith's he was taken on a horse by Arwen to rivendale?? The book is clearly showing it is Glorfindel's horse that Frodo rides on to Rivendale, and Arwen shows up later.

Also, The council of Elrond seemed like one big argument to me instead of a meeting of all the good races of middle earth to discuss how they would take on this evil and destroy the ring. Am I wrong on this or do alot of you guys think the same?

I am going to wait until all the films are released back to back to back in the theatres and see them the same day. I was reading on some posts here that PJ really strayed from the books and that does worry me. Is it really that bad or am I worrying for nothing?

Prindel

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, if you didn't like the changes he made in the Fellowship, you'll probably go ballistic over the other ones. I'm like the one guy on here that likes to stick true to the books a lot, but I loved Fellowship. They made lots of changes to it, but it stayed true to the story of the books, IMO. Two Towers made me very upset at first, and I still haven't gotten over some of the stuff he did. ROTK changed lots and lots of stuff, probably the most of all the movies, but it was done much better than Two Towers, and I very much enjoyed it.

So, if you're looking for Tolkien's real story, much less loyalty to the books, you'll be disappointed. But don't just take my word for it! By all means, you have to watch them!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm another guy here who was a stickler for the books, but now I've realized that you can never have a movie like that without it being 20 hours long or more...

This trilogy by Jackson is the best that anyone could do, and I love it, love it, love it...

And I still love the books, and will read them once a year like always, because they are magnificant...

Anyways, watch the movies without thinking about the books, and you walk away with something amazing.

Watch them with the books in your head, and grumbling the whole time at the changes, and you can't enjoy the movie at all.

Mike

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Hey, I'm another guy here who was a stickler for the books, but now I've realized that you can never have a movie like that without it being 20 hours long or more...

This trilogy by Jackson is the best that anyone could do, and I love it, love it, love it...

And I still love the books, and will read them once a year like always, because they are magnificant...

Anyways, watch the movies without thinking about the books, and you walk away with something amazing.

Watch them with the books in your head, and grumbling the whole time at the changes, and you can't enjoy the movie at all.

Mike

Word!

Stout

Reaction score

Mike

I disagree on several counts. I watched the last with the books in my mind, and while Jackson teeters on the brink of idiocy, and certainly makes stupid changes that made no sense to do (and were not necessary), I still enjoyed it immensely. So, you can watch out for accuracy and still enjoy them.

Also, to say that Jackson did the best that anyone can do is ludicrous, IMO. The overall process? Perhaps. Writing/deciding what gets to stay, what gets changed, and what gets left out? I could have done one helluva better job myself, and I'm only a novice screenwriter. He changed things that there was no reason to change. None. I won't get into them, as I don't want to spoil it for the thread starter, but I am right...there is NO DOUBT. To me, that shows an arrogance, not changing it for any tangible reason, or for thin reasons.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
************SPOILER********************

Originally posted by Stout

Also, to say that Jackson did the best that anyone can do is ludicrous, IMO. The overall process? Perhaps. Writing/deciding what gets to stay, what gets changed, and what gets left out? I could have done one helluva better job myself, and I'm only a novice screenwriter. He changed things that there was no reason to change. None. I won't get into them, as I don't want to spoil it for the thread starter, but I am right...there is NO DOUBT. To me, that shows an arrogance, not changing it for any tangible reason, or for thin reasons.

Wait, Stout. This whole passage is based on your arrogant presumption that you could have done a better job. And that is just ludicrous.

1) I will bet you any amount of money that script you saw filmed, heck, even the script you will see when the Extended cut comes out, was NOT the original script. We can all agree that he didn't like the Scouring and probably did not include it in the script, but there is no way to tell what else was changed from the book. The rumor was back in the summer that the film was originally 6 hours and was cut in half for the theatrical run. So I can't see how you can base his entire reasons for his screenwriting decisions on the 3 1/2 hour theatrical cut.

2) Changes in the 2nd and 3rd movie are sometimes based on the "domino effect". If he had kepts some of the scenes that you wanted in, it would dramatically alter later parts of the story. You're mad about the exclusion of Tom Bombadil. Just adding his one scene in Fellowship and then another perhaps to wrap up in ROTK would have made the movies even longer--and the inclusion of Bombadil would be a waste because he has no bearing on the story.

3) Changes also are used for saving time AND MONEY. Take Arwen's first appearance, for example. The Rivendale elves are represented by two characters--Elrond and Arwen. That saves time to not have to introduce more characters--and money, by not having to pay more actors (speaking roles get paid a lot more than non-speaking ones).

Now, there has always been a big stink about how the elves showed up in Helm's Deep, but that had a twofold goal. One, to give help to the men at Helm's Deep. I think if the small amount of men (without the elves) could have held the fortress against that big of an army, it would have been very unrealistic (in terms of the world). Also, if you notice, none of the major characters, save Theoden, actually die in the entire books. Jackson couldn't just kill off, well, any of them--there'd be much bigger screaming about it than there already has been. So, they kill off Haldir. True, he wasn't a major character, but even as a novice screenwriter, no matter what you write, you have to make the stakes higher--killilng off a character, that is at least important to someone in the story, is a smart thing to do. The same applies to the size of the female roles in the films, the only thing he does (or does not do) against that is expand the final story with Eowyn and Faramir.

So taken as a whole, and thinking about classic film conventions, Peter Jackson did the best anyone will probably ever do with these films. Why? Because while he made a few changes in order to make the movies more "cinematic", he DID stay true to what Tolkien portrayed in his books.

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
************SPOILER********************

Wait, Stout. This whole passage is based on your arrogant presumption that you could have done a better job. And that is just ludicrous.

1) I will bet you any amount of money that script you saw filmed, heck, even the script you will see when the Extended cut comes out, was NOT the original script. We can all agree that he didn't like the Scouring and probably did not include it in the script, but there is no way to tell what else was changed from the book. The rumor was back in the summer that the film was originally 6 hours and was cut in half for the theatrical run. So I can't see how you can base his entire reasons for his screenwriting decisions on the 3 1/2 hour theatrical cut.

2) Changes in the 2nd and 3rd movie are sometimes based on the "domino effect". If he had kepts some of the scenes that you wanted in, it would dramatically alter later parts of the story. You're mad about the exclusion of Tom Bombadil. Just adding his one scene in Fellowship and then another perhaps to wrap up in ROTK would have made the movies even longer--and the inclusion of Bombadil would be a waste because he has no bearing on the story.

3) Changes also are used for saving time AND MONEY. Take Arwen's first appearance, for example. The Rivendale elves are represented by two characters--Elrond and Arwen. That saves time to not have to introduce more characters--and money, by not having to pay more actors (speaking roles get paid a lot more than non-speaking ones).

Now, there has always been a big stink about how the elves showed up in Helm's Deep, but that had a twofold goal. One, to give help to the men at Helm's Deep. I think if the small amount of men (without the elves) could have held the fortress against that big of an army, it would have been very unrealistic (in terms of the world). Also, if you notice, none of the major characters, save Theoden, actually die in the entire books. Jackson couldn't just kill off, well, any of them--there'd be much bigger screaming about it than there already has been. So, they kill off Haldir. True, he wasn't a major character, but even as a novice screenwriter, no matter what you write, you have to make the stakes higher--killilng off a character, that is at least important to someone in the story, is a smart thing to do. The same applies to the size of the female roles in the films, the only thing he does (or does not do) against that is expand the final story with Eowyn and Faramir.

So taken as a whole, and thinking about classic film conventions, Peter Jackson did the best anyone will probably ever do with these films. Why? Because while he made a few changes in order to make the movies more "cinematic", he DID stay true to what Tolkien portrayed in his books.

I'll grant you I couldn't have done it as well...I was making a point that just about anyone that actually wanted to stay as loyal as possible (PJ did not seem to, or he certainly could have), and knew what they were doing in the industry, could have done it. I think, conceptually, deciding what stays and what goes, I would have done better. That's just MHO.

I'll grant you the longer script bit. Who knows what he had before? Since I can't know, I won't speculate on it. I'll just talk about what we do have.

If you want to continue LYING about Bombadil, perhaps you'll go back and read my posts. I NEVER SAID HE SHOULD BE IN THE MOVIES...EVER EVER EVER!!! Stop making $h!t up! I always say I'd love for him to be there, but completely understand why he isn't there. Heck, he isn't even in the BBC audio version. He can't be there. It would ruin the movies, sadly, and I've ALWAYS used Bombadil as a positive DEFENSE of PJ in the first movie. Comprende? It's really not difficult to understand, given I explain it to you EVERY time you try to use Bombadil against me. Gawd, get your facts straight before you try and quote me.

But let's take a moment and expand on what you said about one thing early in the movies obligating him to do something later on. PJ screwed up by including the scouring of the shire pictures in the mirror of Galadriel and then not including it. He basically made a promise, showing purists this, and yanked out the rug. In fact, my friend refused to believe me when I told him it wasn't there, and the mirror scene was his basis. He was shocked to find that Jackson had done that. It didn't ruin the overall series, but it gave it a hole.

The Arwen substitute for Glorfindel was excellent. Glorfindel was a minor character, I understood they needed to get Arwen in it more, and so voila-perfect.

Now, you're wrong about Helm's Deep. Almost completely wrong. The one point about Helm's Deep in the story was that the men did NOT have the help of the elves, or the Dwarves, or the other Men of Middle Earth. The Men had to stand alone! THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT!!! To give them help undermines that. To make it Elves, who specifically could NOT help (they were under attack themselves at the time, remember-or maybe you just didn't know that), and could not come to help.

And to say it wouldn't have been believable for the men to hold out-youre right! But that's the point! The men held juuuuust long enough. Erkenbrand (spelling) showed up at juuuuust the right time to save them. Plus, if Eomer was at Helm's Deep from the get-go, as he was supposed to be, the men would have had that much more support. Not believable? The Battle of Thermopylae (spelling) isn't believable, but it's fact.

Killing of Haldir? The fact they needed some kind of death? Well, I still think it would have been great to end the movie with Frodo supposedly lying dead, killed by Shielob, but I understand why it couldn't be done. Hell, he even faked the death of Aragorn!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You need to chill out. Please.

I recall you being angry about the exclusion of Tom Bombadil in the movie. If that wasn't you, then I apologize, but don't start going off on a diatribe personal attack against me. My God, please chill out.

Stout

Reaction score
You need to chill out. Please.

I recall you being angry about the exclusion of Tom Bombadil in the movie. If that wasn't you, then I apologize, but don't start going off on a diatribe personal attack against me. My God, please chill out.

I'll chill, but this isn't the first time you've done it (hence the anger). I said he was cool, I'd love to see him in the movies, but it could never be. At that point, you misquoted me. I corrected you. You ignored it. You've repeated for like 2 or 3 more times. How is that not supposed to make me upset? I've never, ever, here online or in real life, complained about his exclusion. So, please, stop misquoting me, and we'll be all good :thumbup:

And can you please respond to everything else? It seems every time I come up with great points that prove to you otherwise on certain issues, you ignore them and tell me to 'chill out'. Can you, for once, answer why PJ foreshadowed the scouring of the shire in the Mirror of Galadriel and then failed to follow up? It's a hole in the series. Thoughts?

And no, I'm not riled up any more. This post is made in good will :D

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Can you, for once, answer why PJ foreshadowed the scouring of the shire in the Mirror of Galadriel and then failed to follow up? It's a hole in the series. Thoughts?

I'm not speaking for Chap, but if memory serves when Frodo (in the film) sees the scouring of the Shire in the Mirror, Galadriel explains to Frodo that the Mirror reflects events that have not yet come to pass (I'm paraphrasing) and that what he sees is what will happen to the Shire if he fails to destroy the ring.

So, at least in a cinematic sense, Jackson had an out when he didn't include the scouring in ROTK.

I get the feeling that he had filmed a scouring sequence, and had it ready for inclusion in the final cut of ROTK, but dropped it due to time constraints.

It still may be included in the extended DVD version of the film, along with the "proper" demise of Saruman.

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I'm not speaking for Chap, but if memory serves when Frodo (in the film) sees the scouring of the Shire in the Mirror, Galadriel explains to Frodo that the Mirror reflects events that have not yet come to pass (I'm paraphrasing) and that what he sees is what will happen to the Shire if he fails to destroy the ring.

So, at least in a cinematic sense, Jackson had an out when he didn't include the scouring in ROTK.

I get the feeling that he had filmed a scouring sequence, and had it ready for inclusion in the final cut of ROTK, but dropped it due to time constraints.

It still may be included in the extended DVD version of the film, along with the "proper" demise of Saruman.

The same thing is said in the books, so it is a technical out. The problem is, when people say 'the movies aren't the book' about stuff, then he shouldn't do anything from the book that's going to make readers expect other things. As soon as that was seen, just about everyone that loves the books were like, 'ah, that'll be the scouring of the Shire in the last movie'. At least, everyone I know thought that. In fact, my friend wouldn't believe it wasn't there because of that. He wouldn't believe it until he saw it.

And it's not going to be in the extended version, unless they go back and film it, or unless the article I read in Entertainment Weekly, I believe it was, is lying. He's quoted as saying he never liked it and never filmed it. A shame, really.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Ken hit it right on the head.

But you also, Stout, have a point. While I don't think that cinematically the Scouring would have worked because of the anticlimactic nature of it, I understand where you're confused about seeing it in the mirror.

But, like Ken, I have to say that Galadriel never said that it was going to happen, just that it may--AND that it depended on his fulfillment of his current quest, which was destroying the ring. He succeeded in that respect, so what he saw in the mirror did not come to pass. It makes sense.

BUT, I do understand your point of view, especially back 2 years ago when we didn't know he wasn't filming the Scouring. I remember with FOTR came out we talked about how it foreshadowed the Scouring and how we all thought it was cool--it raised expectations for those of us that read the books.

And then of course, we were disappointed when rumors started coming out saying that the Scouring was never filmed. Disappointing, sure--but IMO, in the context of a movie, not a book, it's not as glaring an omission--and the dialogue from FOTR pretty much saves Jackson from being obligated to include it. Proponents of the book might say that it was a horrible tease, but taken as but a single piece of a mighty whole, it isn't that big of a deal. Especially for those people that HAVEN'T read the books before.

I must admit, though, that I am worried about Saruman's "death" scene which is supposed to appear on the DVD. Obviously that's going to be a major change, and I'm curious to see how he does it. Christopher Lee, for all his complaining about being cut from the theatrical cut, still thinks his demise is magnificent, and he was a personal friend of Tolkien and reads the books once a year--and the guy has done it for at least 35 years! So while you and some of the rest of us are pretty well-versed in the books, at some point you have to try to trust the filmmakers (and in this case the actual actor) that when they say something is great, well, maybe it is.

I still believe that as a standalone trilogy, the films are brilliant--even though Legolas and Gimli are virtually ignored, especially in ROTK--Gimli especially. But in the books, he wasn't really a focal point at all anyway. The movies are very well written though, terrifically acted, with magnificent effects and tremendous directing. Sure, it doesn't follow the books exactly--but show me one movie that follows its book exactly. Even Master & Commander, right now starting to be considered a masterpiece of its genre, was a combination of several books.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Writing/deciding what gets to stay, what gets changed, and what gets left out? I could have done one helluva better job myself, and I'm only a novice screenwriter.

Sorry, excuse me for a second...

:biglaugh:

Okay, I don't mean any disrespect, but please Stout, to say you could do better than what Jackson did is incredibly arrogant...

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still believe that as a standalone trilogy, the films are brilliant--even though Legolas and Gimli are virtually ignored, especially in ROTK--Gimli especially. But in the books, he wasn't really a focal point at all anyway.

I'm hoping the Extended version will have the scene where Legolas and Gimli talk about taking each other to their favorite places on middle earth...Gimli will show Legolas the caves he loves, Legolas will likewise show Gimli the forests, etc, that he love.

I'd like to see that.

Mike

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I've pretty much stayed out of this debate for the most part. Not much can be accomplished by it.

The Trilogy either blows you away, or it doesn't.

I understand Stout's passion about this, and this is a perfect forum for him to vent about his frustration about certain elements of the books that were, or were not, included in the film versions.

Stout

Reaction score
Sorry, excuse me for a second...

:biglaugh:

Okay, I don't mean any disrespect, but please Stout, to say you could do better than what Jackson did is incredibly arrogant...

Mike

Ya, I know...Chap responded much the same, and I answered with this:

I'll grant you I couldn't have done it as well...I was making a point that just about anyone that actually wanted to stay as loyal as possible (PJ did not seem to, or he certainly could have), and knew what they were doing in the industry, could have done it. I think, conceptually, deciding what stays and what goes, I would have done better. That's just MHO.

Some other director, if he had decided to stay as true as possible (as Jackson obviously did not) to the story, could have done much better. Of this I have no doubt.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, I know...Chap responded much the same, and I answered with this:

Some other director, if he had decided to stay as true as possible (as Jackson obviously did not) to the story, could have done much better. Of this I have no doubt.

I still think your way off base...to me, the amazing thing is how much he DID KEEP...plenty of writers/directors change HUGE parts of books that are made into movies...just take Runaway Jury for instance...tons of books get hashed.

This trilogy kept the overall story, the SAME characters, used drawings and descriptions from Tolkien for all their sets, used plenty of lines RIGHT OUT OF THE BOOK, etc.

I mean, I just don't know how much closer you can get.

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never read the books or seen the movies, but if the resident authority on movies (Chapbuster) says Peter Jackson did his best on this trilogy of remakes....that's enough for me. ;)

I can say that although I prefer to read a book before seeing a movie based on it...the movie rarely captures the book exactly. The most frustrating thing is when something is changed for no apparent reason.

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
I've never read the books or seen the movies, but if the resident authority on movies (Chapbuster) says Peter Jackson did his best on this trilogy of remakes....that's enough for me. ;)

I can say that although I prefer to read a book before seeing a movie based on it...the movie rarely captures the book exactly. The most frustrating thing is when something is changed for no apparent reason.

Your last line is most telling...there were things done for no apparent reason...or for wrong reasons. Why do things you don't need to do? It makes you take out good stuff later you could have left in.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Your last line is most telling...there were things done for no apparent reason...or for wrong reasons. Why do things you don't need to do? It makes you take out good stuff later you could have left in.

No apparent reason? Maybe. Wrong reason? Now that is purely your opinion.

Stout

Reaction score
No apparent reason? Maybe. Wrong reason? Now that is purely your opinion.

Fair enough. But I'm not the only one with those opinions. I've heard some of his reasonings. His reason for not putting the whole Shielob thing at the end of the TT (two climaxes) was outstanding, and I liked it.

His reason for the Faromir fiasco (wasn't suspenseful enough w/out something extra) I don't buy in the least. I believe his real reason for that was to see more action and to see the cool fall of Osgiliath. That wasn't his story, but really, when Faromir fools the Hobbits, they feel they are in danger, Sam gets pi$$ed and starts yelling, and they draw swords...and Faromir shows his quality...well, to say that isn't suspenseful enough is crazy.

I believe (just MHO) he wanted more action, so that's why he did it. He didn't admit it, but that's what I think.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. But I'm not the only one with those opinions. I've heard some of his reasonings. His reason for not putting the whole Shielob thing at the end of the TT (two climaxes) was outstanding, and I liked it.

His reason for the Faromir fiasco (wasn't suspenseful enough w/out something extra) I don't buy in the least. I believe his real reason for that was to see more action and to see the cool fall of Osgiliath. That wasn't his story, but really, when Faromir fools the Hobbits, they feel they are in danger, Sam gets pi$$ed and starts yelling, and they draw swords...and Faromir shows his quality...well, to say that isn't suspenseful enough is crazy.

I believe (just MHO) he wanted more action, so that's why he did it. He didn't admit it, but that's what I think.

And I think, Faramir from the book would have been a boring part of the movie...he meets him, and Faramir lets him go...what's the point of the meeting in the movie if there is no real conflict?

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And I think, Faramir from the book would have been a boring part of the movie...he meets him, and Faramir lets him go...what's the point of the meeting in the movie if there is no real conflict?

Mike

I agree. He made a little change to heighten the excitement and tension, but in the end, it all worked out as it did in the book. Faramir, to me, was a fairly boring character, not because he didn't do anything, but because when he did, it was never shown--at least in TT, he was given something to DO--AND it heightened his character.

In the books, I didn't feel very sorry for Faramir at his treatment by his father. In the movie, however, because of what we had seen previous, Denethor's treatment of Faramir seems much more unfounded and despicable. At least, I thought so.

Stout

Reaction score
I agree. He made a little change to heighten the excitement and tension, but in the end, it all worked out as it did in the book. Faramir, to me, was a fairly boring character, not because he didn't do anything, but because when he did, it was never shown--at least in TT, he was given something to DO--AND it heightened his character.

In the books, I didn't feel very sorry for Faramir at his treatment by his father. In the movie, however, because of what we had seen previous, Denethor's treatment of Faramir seems much more unfounded and despicable. At least, I thought so.

Oh, I have to disagree on Faromir. I was very much with him. He had the wisdom his father did not. Although Denethor was wise for much of his life, two factors were against him: He was poisoned by the palantir (and thus by Sauron) and he refused to believe he could be corrupted by the ring. In other words, he was too foolish to realize his own pride. Faromir, though not the same leader Boromir was, was always said to have the noble traits of the ancients, which Boromir did not. To me, Faromir was simply showing how much better Denethor was, and his father was too arrogant to realize what he had until it was too late.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh, I have to disagree on Faromir. I was very much with him. He had the wisdom his father did not. Although Denethor was wise for much of his life, two factors were against him: He was poisoned by the palantir (and thus by Sauron) and he refused to believe he could be corrupted by the ring. In other words, he was too foolish to realize his own pride. Faromir, though not the same leader Boromir was, was always said to have the noble traits of the ancients, which Boromir did not. To me, Faromir was simply showing how much better Denethor was, and his father was too arrogant to realize what he had until it was too late.

You're sidestepping here. Again, the conclusion of your post above matches the conclusion brought forth in the movie, at least in regards to Denethor finally breaking through his madness.

And again, knowing that Faramir is noble is all well and good, but you wouldn't have known it in the books had others not expressly just said he was--he never did anything in the books.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn