Harry Potter (reboot series)(HBO Max)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cautiously interested—a series gives them the opportunity to be more faithful to the books.

That said I’m a huge fan of the movies and this series would have to be spectacular to compare.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money grab!

First movie was very faithful to the books.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is stupid. Why remake beloved classics?

I'm all for mining HP, and there's a LOT of money to be had (given there are good stories...something in very short supply these day). What everyone wants to see is what happens to the big three 5 or 10 years after Deathly Hallows. They want to see HP as an auror, Hermione's rise within the Ministry of Magic, Ron working with George in the shop, hell even Ginny as a professional Quidditch player.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm all for mining HP, and there's a LOT of money to be had (given there are good stories...something in very short supply these day). What everyone wants to see is what happens to the big three 5 or 10 years after Deathly Hallows. They want to see HP as an auror, Hermione's rise within the Ministry of Magic, Ron working with George in the shop, hell even Ginny as a professional Quidditch player.
This.

Or a film on the first war with Voldemort - one that ends with the killing of Lily and James.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doing all of the above defeats the purpose of making a lot of money because the cost alone to bring all those characters back would balloon the budgets of those shows.

This is a bottom line, money deal where they want to remake Harry Potter on the cheap, with younger, unknown and CHEAPER actors while hopefully grabbing massive numbers of subscribers.

And it makes me sad because it’s another reminder of how almost impossible it’s becoming to sell an original idea anywhere at this point. Movies have been relatively out of reach forever with comic book mania taking control but TV was still a medium where you could take big swings on fresh narrative stories. That’s going the way of the dodo now also and it sucks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Doing all of the above defeats the purpose of making a lot of money because the cost alone to bring all those characters back would balloon the budgets of those shows.

This is a bottom line, money deal where they want to remake Harry Potter on the cheap, with younger, unknown and CHEAPER actors while hopefully grabbing massive numbers of subscribers.

And it makes me sad because it’s another reminder of how almost impossible it’s becoming to sell an original idea anywhere at this point. Movies have been relatively out of reach forever with comic book mania taking control but TV was still a medium where you could take big swings on fresh narrative stories. That’s going the way of the dodo now also and it sucks.
I don't know, there are A LOT of tv shows out there. And with Netflix expanding their offering to include some pretty damn good foreign tv shows, I'm not sure it's as dire as you make it out to be. Of course, I work in television, so I may have some bias, but still.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was perusing some of the blu-rays at Arrow Video recently, and I noticed how few of those older movies would have even been given a sniff of funding in the modern studio environment. So much creativity and unique stories. I'm afraid that era is gone for good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, there are A LOT of tv shows out there. And with Netflix expanding their offering to include some pretty damn good foreign tv shows, I'm not sure it's as dire as you make it out to be. Of course, I work in television, so I may have some bias, but still.
my experience selling shows lately has become more and more impossible/improbable to sell original ideas in the domestic market. Every one of my friends (people with MUCH more successful who have created and ran multiple shows and hits) are feeling the same IP crunch. As a creator, it sucks right now.

Take Showtime for example… they’ve literally announced that they’re just going full franchise from here forward, investing in development of Billions, Dexter and Yellowjacket spin-offs while killing almost all original shows in development.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Seriously! I mean, I think my book Legio Damnati would make a killer Netflix series, per se, but even if I got a film/TV agent to rep me and even if they got it circulated (huuuugely unlikely unless I get famous off other books), the chances that a studio would take a chance on a dark Roman fantasy horror series over a cheap and easy way to make bank are astronomically small.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seriously! I mean, I think my book Legio Damnati would make a killer Netflix series, per se, but even if I got a film/TV agent to rep me and even if they got it circulated (huuuugely unlikely unless I get famous off other books), the chances that a studio would take a chance on a dark Roman fantasy horror series over a cheap and easy way to make bank are astronomically small.
"Dark Roman Fantasy Horror" series. No offense, but there would be no way anyone would touch that unless your book was a bestseller.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is very much true but I sadly don't believe it will happen

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
"Dark Roman Fantasy Horror" series. No offense, but there would be no way anyone would touch that unless your book was a bestseller.
Trust me, I know. Funny thing is, folks would probably dig it. Kind of a cross between a Rome and Barbarians. But I well know that it simply wouldn't be considered.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
my experience selling shows lately has become more and more impossible/improbable to sell original ideas in the domestic market. Every one of my friends (people with MUCH more successful who have created and ran multiple shows and hits) are feeling the same IP crunch. As a creator, it sucks right now.

Take Showtime for example… they’ve literally announced that they’re just going full franchise from here forward, investing in development of Billions, Dexter and Yellowjacket spin-offs while killing almost all original shows in development.

As a view it sucks right now too. I want you and your friends to be unleashed so that you can give us creative and original ideas. I'm bored with all of the retreads now and I'm tuning out. Stuff like the next marvel show that exists mainly to set up the next show/movie isn't holding my interest anymore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, I know. Funny thing is, folks would probably dig it. Kind of a cross between a Rome and Barbarians. But I well know that it simply wouldn't be considered.
Yeah… would have to either be a best-seller or some star would have to fall in love with it and be its champion. Even then not real likely without proven track record of bestselling book receipts.

Hollywood works in a culture of fear. Taking a risk is almost viewed as career suicide.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a view it sucks right now too. I want you and your friends to be unleashed so that you can give us creative and original ideas. I'm bored with all of the retreads now and I'm tuning out. Stuff like the next marvel show that exists mainly to set up the next show/movie isn't holding my interest anymore.
There’s so many shows my friends have pitched that woulda made killer watches that never even got out of the starting gate. For years, Ideas got thrown around each other that we all thought were bangers… like 100% no-brainers that would get bought. Now it’s just a total crapshoot unless you have that IP you’re coming in with or pitching on.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
There’s so many shows my friends have pitched that woulda made killer watches that never even got out of the starting gate. For years, Ideas got thrown around each other that we all thought were bangers… like 100% no-brainers that would get bought. Now it’s just a total crapshoot unless you have that IP you’re coming in with or pitching on.

Is there anything the fans can do to help and do you see the tide turning at all? I'm already trying to vote with my wallet but that only goes so far.

The possible WGA strike also has me a bit concerned since I was around for the 2008 strike and saw what the studios did after it with "reality" TV. I'm really hoping the studios don't use it as an excuse to move further in the wrong direction.