Harry Potter: Half-Blood Prince - Spoilers thread!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
JK Rowling has said to expect Book 7 in 2007. She is taking the rest of the year off to be with her new baby, and then will start writing the rest.
damn slacker

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
Is this just a guess or is it from some source?
JK Rowling has said that she was going to take a year off before starting to write the next book.
I thought the book was great. I remember, about the time Dumbledore and Harry entered the cave, saying that every Harry Potter book had had something big happen near the end, but this book didn't. Boy was I proved wrong! I was sad at both the ending (because of what had occured in the book) and at the fact that the seventh book was not already in my hands.
I thought the whole scene in the cave was a throwaway--after all, it made absolutely no difference except to weaken Dumbledore, and if the rumors are correct and Snape was supposed to kill him, did Dumbledore REALLY need to drink that liquid? I guess in the long run, the main thing it does is identify Sirius' brother as a major character to turn up in the next book.

Also, I think that this book might be really long, possibly even the longest of them all. They still have four horcruxes to destroy, one (maybe two) weddings to attend, various places to travel, a final battle with Voldemort, and (possibly) an epilogue to tie up loose ends. I hope it turns out to be the longest book.
That's why I'm leery on the next book because there just seems to be way too much to tie up.

I hope that the movie makers somehow, someway, make a cohesive story from a 724 (or something like that)-page book. The last producers did a bad job for the third movie. It was as if they just took snippets from the book and threw it in the movie; the storyline was hard to follow and there was almost no character development. I just hope that, in this film, they cut it just right and link everything together so that you can understand (and enjoy!) the entire story.

Disagree about the third movie, but it is very difficult to make a movie from a really long book--a movie that will be commercially viable, that is. Can you imagine a 2-hour version of War and Peace? Nope. I am nervous about how Order of the Phoenix will turn out since it was so long.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I thought the whole scene in the cave was a throwaway--after all, it made absolutely no difference except to weaken Dumbledore, and if the rumors are correct and Snape was supposed to kill him, did Dumbledore REALLY need to drink that liquid? I guess in the long run, the main thing it does is identify Sirius' brother as a major character to turn up in the next book.

Unless the potion was somehow The Draught of Living Death.....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Unless the potion was somehow The Draught of Living Death.....

That is interesting... Do you remember what color the water was?

First potion brewed in Slughorn's sixth-year N.E.W.T. Potions class. Instructions for brewing this potion can be found in Advanced Potion-Making starting on page 10, but the textbook's uncorrected instructions do not cover the most effective way of squeezing the juice out of the sopophorous beans (crushing wiht the flat side of a silver dagger rather than cutting) and do not indicate that a clockwise stir should be added after every seventh counter-clockwise stir. While brewing, the potion releases blue steam. The ideal halfway stage should be of a blackcurrant colour (deep purple), although at a later stage if stirred properly the potion will turn a light shade of lilac (HBP9)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That is interesting... Do you remember what color the water was?
No - I will have to check the book.

But remember, Sluggy made four potions in the beginning of his first class:

Love Potion, Luck Potion, Polyjuice Potion, and Draught of the Living Dead.

The first three figured prominantly in the book...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
"The basin was full of an emerald liquid emitting that phosphorescent glow." -pg. 567

Emerald = Green :)

Plus, you'd have to take into consideration how long it would be for the potion to take effect. If it really was the Draught, you'd think it would have taken hold before the scene on the tower.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Emerald = Green :)

Plus, you'd have to take into consideration how long it would be for the potion to take effect. If it really was the Draught, you'd think it would have taken hold before the scene on the tower.

Very true.....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to relisten to this book on audio so it is fresh in my mind when the 7th book arrives.

Just finished listening to Order again last night in prep for the movie tonight.

It's Harry Potter Month!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson