Greatest Cardinals Ever?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As for Pat Tillman, I doubt I'd have him in my Top-25. Obviously, he's #1 in terms of off-the-field impact.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As for Pat Tillman, I doubt I'd have him in my Top-25. Obviously, he's #1 in terms of off-the-field impact.

Why? I mean he's a sentimental favorite but, why?

I don't think Tillman cracks the Top 100 even. I'd put Rashad Johnson over Tillman. Kwamie Lassiter. Antoine Bethea. Tillman really was nothing special.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I don't think Tillman cracks the Top 100 even. I'd put Rashad Johnson over Tillman. Kwamie Lassiter. Antoine Bethea. Tillman really was nothing special.
Agree. He was a nice story on the football field - local guy transitioning from LB to S as 7th rounder. But he was just an okay-to-average player. I appreciate his valor and patriotism - but that’s non-football related.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
A top ten is really a hard decision for many reasons. If you look at reasons like best player or longevity with the team. Jim Hart was very good and played a long time but I don't think he was a better QB than Kurt Warner. At WR to me its Fitz, Bolden and then Roy Green. As others have pointed out Eric Swann to me was the most dominant DT that I have ever seen but his career wasn't as long because of injury. Darnell Dockett would be the second best DT. At DE to me the best we have ever had is playing for us right now in Chandler Jones with Simeon Rice being second and then Calais Campbell third.

The best RB I've ever seen us have is David Johnson with Ottis Anderson second but neither are ten year guys that have the longevity factor. Right now the three greatest cornerbacks I've ever seen play for us are Aeneas Williams, Patrick Peterson and Roger Wehrli. It would be much easier to come up with a top twenty or a top three for each position than a top ten. Looking at even our best kickers, Jim Bakken played forever for us and was a great kicker but Neil Rackers was by far the best kicker I have ever seen play for us if not the NFL for that one year when he made 40 of 42 field goals.

Also another problem is time. I can't speak for players before 1970. The John David Crow's and such I don't know how good they were because I didn't watch them so all we can do is speculate and go off of their stats and any records they may hold.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. He was a nice story on the football field - local guy transitioning from LB to S as 7th rounder. But he was just an okay-to-average player. I appreciate his valor and patriotism - but that’s non-football related.

Tillman was a limited athlete at the NFL level and the fact that he started games was a testament to how awful the Dave Mac era was. It's downright insulting to list him as a top ten other than for his sentimental value to fans. I honestly think he should've stuck to football, he could've helped the war effort more and longer term than serving in the military. Give to the USO, give to veteran charities, those things count too.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tillman was a limited athlete at the NFL level and the fact that he started games was a testament to how awful the Dave Mac era was. It's downright insulting to list him as a top ten other than for his sentimental value to fans. I honestly think he should've stuck to football, he could've helped the war effort more and longer term than serving in the military. Give to the USO, give to veteran charities, those things count too.

I used to barista at a coffee shop in Tempe when Tillman was a JR and SR at ASU and his first two years in the NFL. During those years, he became a regular, and I love the guy to death. He would ride his Schwinn bike there (even as an NFL rookie) and would get a cup of tea and sit and read. He would use the same tea bag for three teas. He never tipped. A few times he came in with Marie (who he would marry) and Zach Walz and his woman. Zach would throw a 10 or 20 in our jar.

I quickly learned if I wanted to talk to Pat, it couldn't be about football. If I talked about the book he was carrying, he would chat for 15 to 20 minutes with me. At the side counter.

I loved the guy, but he is nowhere near a top 10 Cardinals player.

I'll never forget the first time he came into the store and he walked up to order. I said, "Hey, are you Pat Tillman." He said, "Yeah". Then I said, "Wow, I thought you were a lot bigger on TV." He laughed and said, "Yeah, I hear that a lot."

I was an extremely minor part of his life, but I miss the SOB. (Tillman could out cuss a sailor.)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Agree. I’m too lazy to make a top-anything list, but after thinking about it, there are a fair amount of Cards safeties I’d take over Tillman, which automatically pegs him down several notches.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. I’m too lazy to make a top-anything list, but after thinking about it, there are a fair amount of Cards safeties I’d take over Tillman, which automatically pegs him down several notches.

Budda Baker, Kerry Rhodes, Tony Jefferson....I could go on and on. To be perfectly honest, Tillman would be on my list of safeties who played for the Cardinals that shouldn't see the field for defensive snaps.

On defense, the only aspect he could acquit himself well was playing was playing a linebackerish role.

There was a game against the Bucs years ago where the Cardinals unveiled the "Bear" defense where Tillman lined up as a linebacker and the Cardinals had 5 down linemen. Tillman was effective in that game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Warnertop3

Just Getting Started
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
THAT game.

Same one Warner threw an INT at the 1 yd line, and then when the Rams fumbled the snap to give AZ the easy win, Warner fumbled the snap and gave it right back on the next play?

......ugh. Yep, pre-gloves Warner sucked.

I think he had some issues with that broken thumb for a couple years that he refused to acknowledge. The league is brutal. Injured? Sit down. Next man up. With Kurt's history breaking into the league, I don't think he wanted to take a chance.

Many of us Ram fans are still bitter that Mad Mike Martz gave up on Kurt and went with Bulger. Kurt clearly still had it, he just needed healing. I was so rooting for him to win that Super Bowl with you guys.

Ironically, on the topic of this thread, Kurt doesn't make the Rams top 11. I disagree with the writer of the article. He also put Torry Holt on the list, but not Isaac Bruce. :rolleyes:

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As determined by Adam Rank, writer at NFL.com

Arizona Cardinals
1) Larry Fitzgerald, WR (2004-present)
2) Larry Wilson, DB (1960-1972)
3) Aeneas Williams, CB (1991-2000)
4) Dan Dierdorf, OT (1971-1983)
5) Roger Wehrli, CB (1969-1982)
6) Patrick Peterson, CB (2011-present)
7) Jackie Smith, TE (1963-1977)
8) Ollie Matson, RB (1952-58)
9) Kurt Warner, QB (2005-09)
10) Charley Trippi, HB/QB/DB (1947-1955)
11) Pat Tillman, DB (1998-2001)
Coach: Bruce Arians (2013-17)

Agree, disagree? Discuss amongst yourselves. . .

As others said on this tread you have to have OJ Anderson who is still the Cards all time leading Rusher.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think he had some issues with that broken thumb for a couple years that he refused to acknowledge. The league is brutal. Injured? Sit down. Next man up. With Kurt's history breaking into the league, I don't think he wanted to take a chance.

Many of us Ram fans are still bitter that Mad Mike Martz gave up on Kurt and went with Bulger. Kurt clearly still had it, he just needed healing. I was so rooting for him to win that Super Bowl with you guys.

Ironically, on the topic of this thread, Kurt doesn't make the Rams top 11. I disagree with the writer of the article. He also put Torry Holt on the list, but not Isaac Bruce. :rolleyes:

Pretty damn good list tho.

Warnertop3

Just Getting Started
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Somehow Terry Metcalf needs to sneak on the list. Ahead of Trippi, or the emotional choice of Tillman.

Incidentally, Aeneus Williams only spent a few years with the Rams, but always makes it in the top four-five when I list our top safeties. He spent 2 years at corner then shifted to safety in the twilight of his career. Quite a dude.

It reminds me of when we let Henry Ellard go too soon in the early ‘90’s. He ended up with 3- 1,000 yard seasons with the Redskins at the end.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Larry
Wilson
A Williams
Centers and
Boldin (tie)
Warner
Pat Peterson
Hart
Swann
Should have been T Sizzle - but the trades his rights to get 2 bums
Should also be
Simeon Rice - messed up here too
Chandler Jones is on his way top ten

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Larry. He was the best at his position for a period of time, led the team to a Super Bowl And is a career Card.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a streak but at least once a year Kurt would have a really bad game where he would turn the ball over like a machine.
All QB's have bad games without exception. But Lomax had 2 horrible seasons. He bounced back nicely in '87-'88 though but sadly he was forced to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What Ram QB was better than Warner? Waterfield? Ferregamo? Hayden? Everett? KW was the best QB the Rams ever had hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Fitzgerald
Wilson
Green
Williams
Anderson
Wherli
Warner
Centers