Greatest Cardinals Ever?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not going to get caught up in a meaninglessness top 10.

The list begins with all Hall of Fame inductees. Add likely HOFers, Fitz and PP21 and then your personal favourites: Swann, Wilson, Boldin,, Anderson, Metcalfe, Dobler, Centers, Tillman, etc.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t remember streaks of utter ineptitude that would boggle your mind with Kurt
Well, singlehandedly losing that one game to SF is about the only example I can come up with. But Lomax, as brilliant as he could be would just fall into periods of garbage football. I remember one game where he was so bad he was actually pulled in favor of Stoudt.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I remember lomax getting benched at least once, yes. However, he was the best pure passer the cards have ever had, except maybe for Warner. He carried the team in the early and mid eighties. He gave the Cardinals hope, and an identity. Lomax produced, big time, and there's no question about it. Perterson's production? Much, much more subjective.

You ask me, in 1983, who's the first person I pick for my team, between Lomax or Peterson, guess what I say?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the 1975 offensive line should be on that list as a complete unit. When you only allow 6 sacks on a not so fleet footed QB like Jim Hart you deserve to be mentioned as the greatest offensive line in history.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember lomax getting benched at least once, yes. However, he was the best pure passer the cards have ever had, except maybe for Warner. He carried the team in the early and mid eighties. He gave the Cardinals hope, and an identity. Lomax produced, big time, and there's no question about it. Perterson's production? Much, much more subjective.

You ask me, in 1983, who's the first person I pick for my team, between Lomax or Peterson, guess what I say?
Unfortunately, Lomax was terrible in 85-86. That's why they wasted a draft pick on Kelly Stouffer instead of taking a Jerome Brown or Rod Woodson who would have helped a lot more. Had we had either of those 2 on our defense, this team would have been playoff teams in '87 and '88.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As much as i liked Pat Tillman he doesn`t belong on top 10 greatest Cards list.Jim Hart,Sonny Randle,,Ottis Anderson,John David Crow, all should be considered before Tillman.

Pat Tillman shouldn't make a top 50 list. He was an ok player, Adrian Wilson was about to take his job the year he left for the RANGERS!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. Anquan Boldin not being on the list is a joke.

No Eric Swann? I think that is a debatable one right there.

If you put Trippi on there, how does he make it over Night Train Lane ?

Swann didn't play enough, but man if you are talking shear dominance, he was a force of nature.

Night Train Lane didn't play with the Cardinals too long.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Swann didn't play enough, but man if you are talking shear dominance, he was a force of nature.

Night Train Lane didn't play with the Cardinals too long.
He played 6 seasons. I'd consider that long enough. Incidentally, Lane still has the record for most interceptions in a season with 14. The remarkable thing is that it was done when they were only playing 12 games a season.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As determined by Adam Rank, writer at NFL.com

Arizona Cardinals
1) Larry Fitzgerald, WR (2004-present)
2) Larry Wilson, DB (1960-1972)
3) Aeneas Williams, CB (1991-2000)
4) Dan Dierdorf, OT (1971-1983)
5) Roger Wehrli, CB (1969-1982)
6) Patrick Peterson, CB (2011-present)
7) Jackie Smith, TE (1963-1977)
8) Ollie Matson, RB (1952-58)
9) Kurt Warner, QB (2005-09)
10) Charley Trippi, HB/QB/DB (1947-1955)
11) Pat Tillman, DB (1998-2001)
Coach: Bruce Arians (2013-17)

Agree, disagree? Discuss amongst yourselves. . .

Night Train Lane should be #2. Adrian Wilson should be over Patrick Peterson right now.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I love Pat Tillman! I love what Pat Tillman represents. But there is no rational argument that justifies his position on this list.
I love what Kurt Warner did for the Arizona Cardinals. I love the "Kurt Warner Story". Was he a better Cardinals QB than Jim Hart?

I guess I can agree with the rest of the list.

Who else belongs on it?

Little Billy Bidwill is #2 for his fortitude while no home stadium for a century - many other teams died or compromised principle, while Billy held his ground against the greatest odds known too sports. Jerry Jones came in late after the NFL was a sure thing and great investment on the backs of the founders. Belongs in the Mukety muck hof.

Pat Tillman is number one - JUST CAUSE( both meanings)

Fitz May yet join the Navy like Billy or the Army like Pat and serve others with highest purpose- make one hell of a soldier, sailer or pilot - but belongs in the space Force with PP- just try to get one past them Cardinals!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Little Billy Bidwill is #2 for his fortitude while no home stadium for a century - many other teams died or compromised principle, while Billy held his ground against the greatest odds known too sports. Jerry Jones came in late after the NFL was a sure thing and great investment on the backs of the founders. Belongs in the Mukety muck hof.

Pat Tillman is number one - JUST CAUSE( both meanings)

Fitz May yet join the Navy like Billy or the Army like Pat and serve others with highest purpose- make one hell of a soldier, sailer or pilot - but belongs in the space Force with PP- just try to get one past them Cardinals!
What in God's name are you talking about?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Night Train Lane should be #2. Adrian Wilson should be over Patrick Peterson right now.

I love AW, but Peterson has legit been the best CB in the NFL for a few years; whereas, Wilson was a Top-5 Safety at best. Plus, Peterson already has 7 Pro-Bowls to Wilson's 5.

Narrowly, I'd take P2 over AW.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilson is in that 20 / 20 club. That is a rare group. Peterson might pass him at the end of his career but he would need to step it up a bit first.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
As much as i liked Pat Tillman he doesn`t belong on top 10 greatest Cards list.Jim Hart,Sonny Randle,,Ottis Anderson,John David Crow, all should be considered before Tillman.
I'm a 24 year 11B Army but I agree with this statement.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wilson is in that 20 / 20 club. That is a rare group. Peterson might pass him at the end of his career but he would need to step it up a bit first.

Saddest thing about A-Dub, and he would be the first to agree with this statement, he had four years where "the light wasn't coming on". He had all the natural skill in the world, but the work ethic was not there.

The season where he put it all together (that would be the season after I pounded the table to trade/release him, LOL) it was shocking to say the least. He became a dominant force in a snap of the fingers.

Then to put additional "what could have been" questions about Wilson, if Adrian Wilson had the respect/popularity of Ray Lewis, and could get away with all the helmet to helmet hits that Lewis constantly put on people, Wilson would have had an ever more incredible career.

*Sidenote: I am just pointing out it was unfair to put a leash on Adrian Wilson's physicality and let Lewis continue to play that way. In the end, I think if they continued to let Wilson, just destroy people, he may have killed someone. People talk about the Todd Heap hit, or the Trent Edwards sack, but the hit he laid on Eric Johnson was the one where I seriously thought he killed the man.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

It'd be virtually impossible from PP's position to get into the 20/20 club. Dansby is also in that club, but I doubt anyone is taking him over Peterson.

I'm not sure how much Peterson can step it up. He's done an amazing job mitigating the opposition's best receiving threat. Meanwhile, Wilson was substandard in coverage, and by the end of his career, was a liability.

JMHO, but many fans have an emotional connection to Wilson because he was a great player, was a part of the transition period from SDS to UofP and was on the Super Bowl team. Few people connect to Peterson the same way for their own reasons (reference Mitch's many diatribes).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort