Gortat Traded.....Seriously

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ActingWild said:
No, it's much MUCH worse than that.

We traded Q, #21, last years #7 (which would have been Iguodala), and Gortat for Kurt Thomas, Jackson Vroman and Cash. :shrug:

You did duplicate yourself on #7 and #21.

And Dijon Thompson. I got a good feeling about Thompson, I think he will contribute some, not much but some. He is more athletic than most think and definitely more athletic than Q. If he can he shot over 40% from 3pt in limited time I will be satisfied.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a good chance they could have had Thompson with the #57, so the trade probably wasn't necessary to get him. It just got some cash.

Don't forget also that Jackson Vroman was part of the Jimmy Jackson deal.

Joe Mama

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I understand that we traded #7 for cap space to sign Q and the rights to #21...so no, we're not trading all of those things for Kurt Thomas BUT we just went through the process of trading #7 to get Q and #21 so that we could trade those to get Kurt Thomas. To me it's like saying "Here's a hundred dollar bill. Now, I can trade that $100 bill for a fifty and two twentys." Is that a fair trade? No, because just lost $10. I know that's a terrible analogy, but it just feels like we're going through several steps, each of which is downgrading us, to get to Kurt Thomas. I think he's a great player but I'd prefer Q and #21...and I'd prefer Iguodala over Q and Robinson.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ActingWild said:
I understand that we traded #7 for cap space to sign Q and the rights to #21...so no, we're not trading all of those things for Kurt Thomas BUT we just went through the process of trading #7 to get Q and #21 so that we could trade those to get Kurt Thomas. To me it's like saying "Here's a hundred dollar bill. Now, I can trade that $100 bill for a fifty and two twentys." Is that a fair trade? No, because just lost $10. I know that's a terrible analogy, but it just feels like we're going through several steps, each of which is downgrading us, to get to Kurt Thomas. I think he's a great player but I'd prefer Q and #21...and I'd prefer Iguodala over Q and Robinson.

Actually, the process is an optical illusion. What the Suns did on net was trade last year's #7 and a future first for Kurt Thomas with Q serving as simply a cap hold for year. I'm not sure that was how they planned it out, but the truth is that the Suns couldn't do it a year ago. They didn't have any cap space until AFTER the draft. If the Suns had drafted anyone, they would have had their cap space reduced by $2 million. Plus, Kurt would have been subject to the base year contract problems that would have made a trade almost impossible.

A year ago, if the Suns had traded their draft pick and some cap space for Kurt Thomas, I don't think anyone would have objected.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
But the real question is whether you would prefer Iggy over Kurt Thomas?

I'd take Iggy in a heart beat....but I'm hoping KT comes through for us. I do actually LIKE the guy, but Iguodala is going to be a star in this league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard