Goodbye Old Friend...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Tonight I (we) say goodbye to the most cherished, storied and reveered sports venue to have ever existed in America - dare I say the world...
Yankee stadium will host its' final Yankee home game tonight. Sadly, 85 year old stadium that has seen more post seasons (45) than not (40), will not have the chance to show off her grace and style one last time in the playoffs this season... :(

My first Yankee Stadium experience came in 1970, when my grandfather took my two brothers and I to opening day against the hated Red Sox! I still have the ticket stub and game program. And while the Yanks lost that day in a rather dull, 4-3 game - I was forever hooked...
Since then, I guess I've been to well over 100 Yankee games... I can't find the words to properly describe how much guys like Thurmon Munson, Bobby Murcer, Roy White, Horace Clarke, Gene Michael, Chris Chambliss, Graig Nettles, Ron Blomberg, Lou Pinella, Mel Stottlemeyer, Sparky Lyle, Micky Rivers, Willie Randolph, Catfish Hunter, Ron Guidry, Bucky Dent, Reggie Jackson, Oscar Gamble, Rich Gossage, Dave Righetti, Dave Winfield, Don Mattingly, Rick Cerone, Jim Leyritz, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neil, John Wetteland, David Cone, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettite, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Tino Martinez, and so many more...

I LOVED Yankee stadium. Everything about it... the ride to get there. The walk from the parking lot... The fights in the stands... Monument Park... The fans... Bob Shephard (The Voice), Everything... I loved it all and will spurt a tear or two as I watch one of the greatest imprints on my childhood torn down and demolished...

Goodbye Old Friend... The world will not be proper without you around any longer...

:notworthy

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Terrific farewell last night... Extremely classy of Jeter and the team to be so gracious with the fans... No surprise though...

My brothers were there... Got to the park at 2:30pm even though the game didn't start until 8:15pm... Said it was incredible... a non-stop parade of living Yankee greats!!

New stadium is supposed to be amazing and much more like the original park. Still, can't believe the old stadium is gone... :mad:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad they were playing the dumb Orioles last night. Guess it doesn't matter.

I missed most of the tribute because stupid ESPN had the coverage on ESPN2.

I hear the ovation for Bernie was the loudest of them all.

Good times.

I watching with my buddy. I would pester him with questions like "hey, is Mel Hall there?"

"Ed Whitson?"

Good times with Whitey Ford and Yogi in the booth.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Too bad they were playing the dumb Orioles last night. Guess it doesn't matter.

I missed most of the tribute because stupid ESPN had the coverage on ESPN2.

I hear the ovation for Bernie was the loudest of them all.

Good times.

I watching with my buddy. I would pester him with questions like "hey, is Mel Hall there?"

"Ed Whitson?"

Good times with Whitey Ford and Yogi in the booth.

That's strange as the game was on ESPN here in Phoenix...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reggie looked legitimately sad. I know some Yankeefans who don't like him. Can't understand it.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I heard Hank Steinbrenner left Joe Torre off of the video montage out of spite. Doesn't get more petty or small than that. Stay classy, Hank!

The Yankees will continue to circle the drain with that idiot in charge, and I'm glad.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally.. We can all stop hearing about the place and its two strippers that frequent it (Aura and Mystique)..

Peace Yankee Stadium, wish I never knew ya.. :D

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I made it out there in July '07. :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, how was the standing O for Roger Clemens? I think they honored him during the parts I missed.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they announced Posada as the catcher for the first pitch (for Ruth's daughter), I thought they were having him through out the first pitch. I was like :mulli:, no one better?

But then I felt stupid, when I realized he was just catching it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn